Northern Brewer Replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your list of companies is very small, according to one post. Now it's many and varied. You're saying a bunch of different things. And then you say everyone is making a straw man.

Compared to the list of companies I will do business with, it is small. I have plenty of companies to choose from if any company pisses me off for any reason.

I stopped by Northern Brewer's store in St Paul on Saturday. I didn't see anything different from a year ago, other than a couple of new products.

What about the little evil man in the corner counting gold coins? He wasn't there before. ;)

So to sum up: Some people will continue to use NB/Midwest Supplies and some will not. I don't think anybody here will convince the other side to change their minds.

I stopped by Northern Brewer's store in St Paul on Saturday. I didn't see anything different from a year ago, other than a couple of new products.

You have to read the superfine print under the signature line of every receipt.

"By signing this document I agree to sell my soul to our belgian overlords."

NB is going to be the cheapest shipping on bulk grains for me, hops I went to 1 pound bags from Yakima because I like having a stash to work with and they were half the price and shipping was cheap(light weight). So yes they will still get my bulk grain purchases, and liquid yeast(1 day in shipping so it doesn't get to hot). I have 99% of the equipment I need so not much to buy... other than finding a kettle thermometer that holds up. I have had 2 fermenters favorites go sproing and not read right and I am not over heating it because the handle on the valve below it is not melting the plastic.

I heard an equity group bought nb a couple years ago. The original owners had already "sold out".

So, InBev buys NB and then they don't make a profit because all the customers leave, and they close it down. Versus they buy NB and sell lots of bulk grain and brewing supplies and realize there's money to be made supporting homebrewers and small breweries and they keep the place open; maybe expand it.

So, InBev buys NB and then they don't make a profit because all the customers leave, and they close it down. Versus they buy NB and sell lots of bulk grain and brewing supplies and realize there's money to be made supporting homebrewers and small breweries and they keep the place open; maybe expand it.

Perhaps, either option or another happen. So be it. Let the market play out as it will. Choose as you wish, what you do with NB, as shall others.

Perhaps, either option or another happen. So be it. Let the market play out as it will. Choose as you wish, what you do with NB, as shall others.

Yeah, I was replying to a rude post that seems to have been deleted, and mine edited slightly to remove the context. [I'm okay with that, BTW]

Or Inbev gains control of enough of the homebrew market so that they can control prices and then they realize that increasing prices reduces homebrewing and increase sales of their crap beer. And why were they able to do this? Because, not enough people stood up and said "No, I'm not supporting a giant conglomerate, no one should have that much control of one industry."

Or Inbev gains control of enough of the homebrew market so that they can control prices and then they realize that increasing prices reduces homebrewing and increase sales of their crap beer. And why were they able to do this? Because, not enough people stood up and said "No, I'm not supporting a giant conglomerate, no one should have that much control of one industry."

:rolleyes:

You realize that was a sarcastic response to an equally absurd set of predictions, right?

I agree. they won't be able to price out all homebrewers along with craft breweries just by leveraging NB sales, that's ridiculous.

But I do believe they will use inside data from NB sales to try to predict the up-and-coming trends and then beat craft breweries to it. It's like jumping on the bandwagon before anyone else knows about it, using homebrewers as some sort of innovation/taste-testing incubator of ideas.

So if the future fashions are, for example, black gose, midwest IPAs or hoppy cream ales, the InBev can learn about it while those pseudo-styles are still in early embryonic stages of development and release their own version, say Laguinitas Black Gose, Goose Island Midwest IPA, or Ballast Point Hoppy-Creamy before craft breweries can ever catch up.

I agree. they won't be able to price out all homebrewers along with craft breweries just by leveraging NB sales, that's ridiculous.

But I do believe they will use inside data from NB sales to try to predict the up-and-coming trends and then beat craft breweries to it. It's like jumping on the bandwagon before anyone else knows about it, using homebrewers as some sort of innovation/taste-testing incubator of ideas.

So if the future fashions are, for example, black gose, midwest IPAs or hoppy cream ales, the InBev can learn about it while those pseudo-styles are still in early embryonic stages of development and release their own version, say Laguinitas Black Gose, Goose Island Midwest IPA, or Ballast Point Hoppy-Creamy before craft breweries can ever catch up.

They could do that by paying attention to Homebrew forums, videos, podcasts, and contests for a lot cheaper than buying NB. I just think they're diversifying a little, testing the waters etc.

They could do that by paying attention to Homebrew forums, videos, podcasts, and contests for a lot cheaper than buying NB. I just think they're diversifying a little, testing the waters etc.

perhaps - but those have a lot of noise, and are very passive - besides everyone else has the same information too.

diversifying - that's what purchases of craft beer is for. but NB/homebrewing is such a tiny fraction of the market, it's not real diversifying. It's a bit like investing 99.9% in stocks and then 0.1% in bonds.

I am not sure what testing the waters would mean, but again, in grand scheme of things, I just don't see how this could be so profitable in the long run compared to their huge Big Beer business.

To me it's still along the lines of getting better understanding of marketing approaches/innovation/big data.

Except home brewers are known to try absurd combinations and can come up with winners. And they usually keep that recipe theirs for awhile, or at least until they win a comp or two with it!

Home brewing IS growing, especially with high quality kits Northern Brewer is known for. And matching instructions that made it easy for a beginner! Look at the proliferation of Mr. Beer kits! I can even buy them out in the boonies now and one of my local hardware stores in a town of 7,000 has started carrying homebrew supplies(I need to stop and see how prices look!)

I heard that no matter what grains or kits you order from NB, they ship you the ingredients for Bud Light (including spirals of beechwood).

You wait and see, after they buy another 3,000+ breweries they will be able to execute the Master Plan - shutting down NB thus cutting off home brewers from supplies, and brewing noting but Bud and Bud Light in over 3000 locations!

mwahahaha, mwhahaha, muahahaha, buahahaha, bwuhuhuhaha!!

I heard that no matter what grains or kits you order from NB, they ship you the ingredients for Bud Light (including spirals of beechwood).

You wait and see, after they buy another 3,000+ breweries they will be able to execute the Master Plan - shutting down NB thus cutting off home brewers from supplies, and brewing noting but Bud and Bud Light in over 3000 locations!

mwahahaha, mwhahaha, muahahaha, buahahaha, bwuhuhuhaha!!

Back in the day before craft beer and home brew, I used to like Bud and Bud Light. Now it reminds me of Alka Seltzer or charged water. JMO

As a LHBS owner, I'd like to suggest you find a good local shop near you that provides shipping and give them your business.

If you want a Local Home Brew Shop, shop at yours.

As a LHBS owner, I'd like to suggest you find a good local shop near you that provides shipping and give them your business.

If you want a Local Home Brew Shop, shop at yours.

Not a LBHS owner, but a strong supporter of mine.

Think about this - you lose the shop because everyone shops on line.

Now - you have a 10-gallon batch that you have been itching to do and finally go to it. After the boil is done you are carrying the flask of your yeast to the fermenter to pitch it and fumble. Crash, splash. Yeast all over the floor.

How fast is an online store going to be able to help you?
Support your LHBS whenever possible. If they are no longer there, they cannot help you.....

I spend more money at the LHBS than I do online, but they are not competitive on hops nor 50 lb sacks of grain so I buy those online (or drive up to Minneapolis to Northern Brewer)

What brought me back to this thread was to mention something weird that just started happening. Whenever I look at something at northernbrewer.com lately, I get an email a little while later from them telling me I have excellent taste, and a link to what I just looked at. Without me being sign-in to their web site, and I didn't click on a link in one of their emails. So somehow they are tracking me from google or something.

It's not particularly annoying, but it is a little creepy.

I spend more money at the LHBS than I do online, but they are not competitive on hops nor 50 lb sacks of grain so I buy those online (or drive up to Minneapolis to Northern Brewer)

What brought me back to this thread was to mention something weird that just started happening. Whenever I look at something at northernbrewer.com lately, I get an email a little while later from them telling me I have excellent taste, and a link to what I just looked at. Without me being sign-in to their web site, and I didn't click on a link in one of their emails. So somehow they are tracking me from google or something.

What's creepy about it?

scary-peeper-a-peeping-tom-figurine-to-scare-people-thumb.jpg

Your lhbs . If their prices are in line and reasonable. Then give them your business. However, if you need to buy online,

Williamsbrewing.com All the way if you are buying online. I bought a product during the holidays, (I don't wish to say) there was an issue, but minor and I was debating on reaching out to them. They reached out to me. Asked if I had a certain issue with the item. I said yes, the same day they are shipping a replacement . I have never had a company reach out to make something right. I am the type of guy that if the service is bad, I just don't go back. Ever. So make them your #1. AIH is good, (And ritebrew if your in their 1 day zone)

Besides the creepy e-mails.... I noticed the first "improvement" since the acquisition. In the past I have called in an order, paid for it over the phone, and then had a friend pick it up for me (multiple 50lb sacks- avoiding shipping) when he was going to be driving my way. Called and was told today that "we are no longer able to do that.... he will have to come in and purchase it himself and you will have to reimburse him." Not a huge deal.... but, it was always nice when I could pay for my order instead of having to get my friend to cover the $$ for me. Nice enough that he was stopping by to pick it up for me.

Good old cookies ....:(

Back