Minnesota NB and Midwest Stores Closing (Potentially affecting MN People)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracer bullet

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
According to people on the MN Homebrewers Association, on Facebook, Northern Brewer shop employees at their Saint Paul location are indicating that the NB and Midwest Store as well are closing at the end of the month. Will still have online sales of course but the physical stores are closing. Anyone here know anything?

Same question over at /r/homebrewing (link).

eta: after the announcement via email
  • two additional links /1/, /2/ to discussion including information on where to find things locally
  • For those looking for regional on-line stores, Farmhouse Brewing Supply stocks brands of malt, hops, and yeast that RiteBrew doesn't.

Last edited:
Just got an email from Northern Brewer:

At Northern Brewer, our mission has always been to fuel passion for home fermentation and provide the best equipment, ingredients, and expertise possible. Today, we are writing to share some important information regarding our retail stores, and how we will serve you going forward.
After careful consideration we have decided to close all of our brick-and-mortar retail locations effective August 31st, 2023. As a company deeply rooted in the homebrewing community, this decision was not taken lightly. Changes in customer behavior as well as shifts in market dynamics have led us to this decision. Although these closures are difficult, we firmly believe they are crucial steps as we focus 100% of our efforts on serving customers through our online experience.
So what does this mean going forward? Rest assured that we aren’t going anywhere. However, we also understand that many of you have shopped at our retail stores for years, and we want to continue to serve you through our online platforms. During this transitional period we’re offering incentives to make it even easier to shop with us online.​
  • Access to Northern Brewer University for 1 Year Absolutely Free
  • $25 Off Your Next Online Order*
  • Every $100 Spent Online will get you a $10 Discount Code**
  • Additional Personalized Promotions Throughout the Year
Provide your email address when you checkout at retail during the month of August, that’s it! You’ll receive an email once the store credit has been added to your online account. Please allow 72 hours for processing.​
Between now and August 31st, we’ll be running special in-store offers to start reducing our inventory. Please note that stores will not be receiving any new inventory as of today, so once we are sold out of something it won’t be coming back in-stock. Of course you can always find our complete product assortment online.​

if this is true and I'm not saying it isn't, why isn't it posted on the websites
Maybe because it's about the physical stores, not the web sites. For those who used the physical stores (and left an email address), using the email address seems like a good way to notify customers. I would anticipate there will be information at the (physical store) check-out counter as well. Overall, it seems like a very reasonable way to communicate with those who use the physical stores.

Crap. After losing my nearby LHBS (Brew & Grow) back in 2019, MW was where I would go if I shopped in-person. I started brewing with a setup from Midwest--they helped get me started 11 years ago. It's too bad, albeit not unexpected, given the economy and the fact that homebrewing has declined in recent years.

This news says a lot when a metro of 4 million can't support a decent LHBS.

As a Twin Cities resident, looks to me like the playing field is now even. It's online only, so I will care even less where I buy supplies. Best service/price wins. NB's prices have become too high (some dry yeasts are $9, for example), but MW was pretty fair. From my shipping distance I could get a lot of stuff delivered for about $15 shipping from MW.

There's Beer Meister in Plymouth. I've never been there, but have heard it's fairly limited in selection of supplies (beer dispensing equipment is their mainstay). Might head there some day just to see if it's a worthwhile option when I just need a few things. I live in the NW metro so not very far. I also think there's still a small LHBS in Mankato. My MIL lives in that town and we go that way frequently, so I might check out the store.

I got the identical email from Midwest. So yep seems like they are also closing up their shop as well.

They have a huge warehouse there, I wonder if it'll stick around. On the other hand if the store closes I guess I don't care.

I wouldn't mind seeing 20% off ingredients. I've kind of got all the equipment I could need for a while, even backups of some things.

On the home page, there's a "visit us" link at the bottom left side of the page: Midwest Supplies Retail Location in St. Louis Park, MN

Hmmm...20% off. Might have to run over there this week.

Another thought re MW: they sell hydroponic gear. One of their employees once told me that those buyers almost always pay in cash, for obvious reasons. With recent legalization of marijuana in this state, including growing, maybe MW figures that weed growers won't be afraid to order stuff online.

Weird, I was just at Midwest Supplies store on Tuesday, bought some grain, hops, and yeast. The hops were looking a little picked over, but other than that, would have had no idea the store was not going to be around much longer. They even had a "We Are Hiring" sign on the door, too.

Weird, I was just at Midwest Supplies store on Tuesday, bought some grain, hops, and yeast. The hops were looking a little picked over, but other than that, would have had no idea the store was not going to be around much longer. They even had a "We Are Hiring" sign on the door, too.

And an "Out of CO2" sign! I was there Monday getting ingredients for an upcoming RIS. Hmm I wouldn't have ever put it together but I suppose that could be a reason for suspending moving around CO2 to the stores if someone knew what was coming.

Dang I am going to miss grabbing cold hops and cold yeast, measuring out stupid amounts of stuff like 0.32lbs of Medium Crystal.

I was just at the Milwaukee store. Didn't ask for my email(they have it already) and no mention of the store closing. I havent seen an email. Even had a posting for open positions!

Never bought online, always stopped in store.

I hate having to pivot if this is true.

Last edited:
There's Beer Meister in Plymouth.
Never heard of 'em, so thanks! Though the first thing I see on their webpage says "Warehouse Moving Event" 🤔

https://www.beermeister.com/
A quick check of their ingredient prices looks pretty good: 50 lb sack of briess 2-row is only $50, 3 lb dry malt extract for $12 ain't bad. Yeast looks a little overpriced, but work takes me out to northwest metro area pretty regularly, I will definitely be stopping in to check their store out.

I've only been there once, it was an odd experience. At least vs. Northern and Midwest. Small place, I asked if I could get a few pounds of Maris Otter (I had a spill in the garage). Guy headed back to somewhere else for a bit and then back out with the grain. I didn't see anything for DIY.

No complaints, I got what I wanted. But after getting used to the other stores it was certainly a little different. I wasn't 100% sure it was intended to have customers walking in or not.

If anyone visits, please let us know how it goes, what they have to say.

I don't expect them to suddenly have a booming walk-in business but they do indeed have an opportunity to pick up some % of what the other stores are shedding off.

Never heard of 'em, so thanks! Though the first thing I see on their webpage says "Warehouse Moving Event" 🤔

https://www.beermeister.com/
A quick check of their ingredient prices looks pretty good: 50 lb sack of briess 2-row is only $50, 3 lb dry malt extract for $12 ain't bad. Yeast looks a little overpriced, but work takes me out to northwest metro area pretty regularly, I will definitely be stopping in to check their store out.

A buddy just told me that Beer Meister is moving to Medina. Farther than I care to drive and I don't have any other reason to go that way. But if I bought 2-row by the sack I'd consider it. $50 is dirt cheap.

A buddy just told me that Beer Meister is moving to Medina. Farther than I care to drive and I don't have any other reason to go that way. But if I bought 2-row by the sack I'd consider it. $50 is dirt cheap.
Ugh, bummer, Medina is a bit of a haul for me. Probably worth the trip for a couple 50lb sacks though.

One thing I always appreciated about brick and mortar stores is to pick my own damn liquid yeast and keep it cold on the way home rather than play russian roulette on whether it will stay good during the summer months. I've also changed my brew choices if the yeast wasn't fresh (<3 months) when inspecting the packaging dates. Don't have a HB store in my town but I love checking into Atlantic Brew Suppply in Raleigh (1.5hrs away from me) when I have another excuse to go to Raleigh.

Ritebrew's over the border, they use SpeeDee and usually delivers the next day.
Farmhouse Brewing Supply is also in WI. For those things that RiteBrew doesn't have (certain malts from Great Western & Weyermann, hops in 4 or 6 oz packages, ...), they are an attractive option. My last couple of orders with them were two day (rather than next day) delivery. It's hard to beat SpeeDee when SpeeDee is speedy (with RiteBrew, I typically order on Sunday night and the box in on my steps on Tuesday).

This news says a lot when a metro of 4 million can't support a decent LHBS.
So what is this saying - is the hobby in general declining? I had understood there were many new people who started brewing when they were locked down at home with covid. I know our club has gained new members over the last few years.

As somebody who used to own a homebrew shop, I can say its a tough business, especially online competition. I can’t tell you how many people came in my store with a morebeer catalog and wanted to beat me up because they were selling something 50 cents or a dollar cheaper. I originally had my store in the city (Philadelphia) and I wasn’t doing well there. I moved to the ‘burbs figuring it was more upscale and people there had more money. I did worse in the burbs and ended up closing up. Our own club was doing pallet purchases and bulk buys and going around me. So its a combination of fierce online competition and the fact that it seems homebrewers are notoriously cheap.

We'd have to ask the parent company's board members why they made the decision.

My guess is that online is so easy and profitable that they just don't want to bother with the stores. I can't say for certain but would guess Blackstreet Holdings is more about profits and less about enjoyment of running whatever businesses they own.

I was just at the Milwaukee store. Didn't ask for my email(they have it already) and no mention of the store closing. I havent seen an email. Even had a posting for open positions!

Never bought online, always stopped in store.

I hate having to pivot if this is true.
The Milwaukee store is closing too according the NB web link from above. It says "we have decided to close all of our brick-and-mortar retail locations effective August 31st, 2023." The Milwaukee location is listed at the bottom of the page.

Looking forward, those in the Twin Cities area who are not connected with a local club (e.g. MHBA, NBA, SPHBC, ...) may want to get connected. There are deep connections between home brewers, pro brewers, and suppliers that have proven to be durable over the many twists and turns in the last decade.

Well this sucks. Been buying my grain and occasionally other brew supplies from the Milwaukee Northern Brewer store for years. They had good prices and nice setup grain room. Must be the summer of change, my gym closed all Wisconsin locations at the end of June.

Annoying but still 1st world probs.

Never made it up to the actual stores but always meant to. Looks like I’ll miss out.

Also, it’s a bit of a hike for you metro folks but there still is a LHBS in Mankato. Brew n Wine, easy to miss on Victory drive. It’s quite small and limited inventory so I’d call ahead. They do sell 55lb sacks of rahr Pilsner and 2-row malts(last time I went it was 59.99, but from 54.99 nine or so months earlier) Most dry yeasts available, and some white labs strains.

didnt they sell out to en bev at one time?
1691146734812.png
Current ownership is discussed over in the /r/homebrewing topics (see #2).

Shipping charges suck, does anyone know if they'll still allow online purchase but in-person pick up at the Roseville, MN warehouse? I realize there won't be any in-store browsing/shopping.

still allow
Did they ever do this? I've asked and been told no. Even from a neighbor that used to work in the corporate office and who I get along with. They just weren't set up for it and didn't intend to be. Although to be fair the last I asked this particular question was maybe a year or two ago.

I noticed the Midwest site said 35% off beer equipment, 50% off hydroponic equipment. I may need to head down this week and see if I "need" anything.

Could also get ingredients for the next brew but not too sure how much might be left if people are still coming in and they are not restocking.

online purchase but in-person pick up at the Roseville, MN warehouse?
Over in this /r/homebrewing topic (link), you will find the short term answer.

Longer term, as I mentioned in @26, there are deep connections between home brewers, pro brewers, and suppliers that have proven to be durable over the many twists and turns in the last decade.

The stores close at the end of the month. Check back in 3, 6, and 12 months (or connect with a local home brew club) to see what develops.

I noticed the Midwest site said 35% off beer equipment, 50% off hydroponic equipment. I may need to head down this week and see if I "need" anything.

Could also get ingredients for the next brew but not too sure how much might be left if people are still coming in and they are not restocking.
Didn't get a peek at the grain room (there was already 3 people inside it), but yeast and hops were very much picked over and not being restocked at the St Paul store today.

The stores close at the end of the month. Check back in 3, 6, and 12 months (or connect with a local home brew club) to see what develops.

Nature abhors a vacuum. Maybe there is room for a LHBS here down the road. With Brew & Grow in the north suburbs closing in 2019, now MW/NB, there isn't a dedicated HB store in the Twin Cities. Beer Meister in Plymouth sells some HB supplies as a sideline, but they are moving soon to a location farther from the metro.

Could someone make a go with a carefully-tailored store in the Cities? Only time will tell.

It appears that we are headed to an online only, warehouse style delivery world for homebrewing. The closure rate has been alarming in the last few years. The only issue is the weight of grain is not the best item for shipping. I guess some more adaptation will need to occur. MoreBeer might be the only one left standing as they already have a two-coast distribution network in place. Along with Bobby_M of course!

Currently, for those in the mid-west there are at least four regional online stores:

1) RiteBrew,​
2) Farmhouse Brewing Supply,​
3) Home Brew Ohio,​
4) Label Peelers,​
5) ...​

in addition to Williams Brewing.

The regional stores often have attractive shipping options or products that MoreBeer does not stock.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back