New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so some of u are soft crashing before first dryhop? I’ve been doing this the last couple versions by placing my csrboy in my keezer and since I’ve been using kviek it takes a couple hrs for it to come down into the high 50’s low 60’s but then I’ll remove the csrboy and add my first dryhop. But what I’m finding is they drop out pretty fast which prob killsthe actual point and utilization of the hops. So how do u guys who soft crash get the hops to stay in suspension? I listened to jamils youtube vid with Scott Janish and Scott mentioned agitating the csrboy, ie swirling it as even he mentioned adding a dh colder can cause them to drop faster.

Ok so some of u are soft crashing before first dryhop? I’ve been doing this the last couple versions by placing my csrboy in my keezer and since I’ve been using kviek it takes a couple hrs for it to come down into the high 50’s low 60’s but then I’ll remove the csrboy and add my first dryhop. But what I’m finding is they drop out pretty fast which prob killsthe actual point and utilization of the hops. So how do u guys who soft crash get the hops to stay in suspension? I listened to jamils youtube vid with Scott Janish and Scott mentioned agitating the csrboy, ie swirling it as even he mentioned adding a dh colder can cause them to drop faster.

Raising just a few degrees higher after your soft crash could make the difference. I've hops drop straight down at 60 but float at 65. I do some very very gentle rocking to drop the hops from floating on the surface, especially if I am trying to add my second dry hop soon.

Raising just a few degrees higher after your soft crash could make the difference. I've hops drop straight down at 60 but float at 65. I do some very very gentle rocking to drop the hops from floating on the surface, especially if I am trying to add my second dry hop soon.
So I pulled the fermenter from the keezer at 60. Let it warm to 63 and added my 3.5oz dry hops and they dropped straight to the bottom. I swirled the carboy and then u could see particulate back in suspension but nothing floating on top. I then purged the fermenter with co2 from my keezer tank. I fell like cold dry hopping there’s no yeast in suspension for the hops to grab onto and the beer is less viscous so they just drop otherwise idk why they just fall to the bottom.

So I pulled the fermenter from the keezer at 60. Let it warm to 63 and added my 3.5oz dry hops and they dropped straight to the bottom. I swirled the carboy and then u could see particulate back in suspension but nothing floating on top. I then purged the fermenter with co2 from my keezer tank. I fell like cold dry hopping there’s no yeast in suspension for the hops to grab onto and the beer is less viscous so they just drop otherwise idk why they just fall to the bottom.
For me I regularly dry hop at 60-62 with little issue. I do let the dry hops warm up to room temperature for a bit first and this seems to help them break apart easier in the beer imo. Occasionally some pellets sink, but after about 15 minutes they seems to all be broken up well and mixed with the beer. Ive never swirled my fermenter after dry hopping either.

For me I regularly dry hop at 60-62 with little issue. I do let the dry hops warm up to room temperature for a bit first and this seems to help them break apart easier in the beer imo. Occasionally some pellets sink, but after about 15 minutes they seems to all be broken up well and mixed with the beer. Ive never swirled my fermenter after dry hopping either.
Ok yeah I pulled my hops from the freezer measured out the quantity and added them and like all sank but like six pellets out of 3.5oz so yeah most just sank. I can’t imagine swirling would be bad since I have my blowoff going into a Mylar ballon filled with co2 but I guess I’ll see. As I swirl I can see the hop debri moving in the beer so they’ve def broke up I just don’t know why they sink so fast.

Ok yeah I pulled my hops from the freezer measured out the quantity and added them and like all sank but like six pellets out of 3.5oz so yeah most just sank. I can’t imagine swirling would be bad since I have my blowoff going into a Mylar ballon filled with co2 but I guess I’ll see. As I swirl I can see the hop debri moving in the beer so they’ve def broke up I just don’t know why they sink so fast.

I would agree that if you have CO2 in ballon that I can't imagine swirling would be that bad, but I don't really know because Ive never done it. In the end, as long as the pellets are in the beer, I really don't think its that big of a deal overall if some sink, but Ive just found letting them warm up a bit helps them to breakup in the beer better and quicker. I do think theres something to the density of some pellets vs others too which explains some variation in what I see - some sink quicker while others form the hop carpet on top almost immediately. I haven't dryhopped below 60 though as some peeps here have reported a more muted flavor at colder temps and think its associated with the hops sinking like rocks. So for me, 60-62 is a solid DH temp.

Also just thought of this, how are you determining the temp of the beer? I use an ink bird probe on the side of the fermenter and having water tested, I know that the probe temp is typically within a degree (or 1.5deg max) compared to whats inside the FV. The reason why I ask is perhaps your beer is colder than you think still when adding the dry hops?

update: it’s tapped.

grainbill
70% Pilsner
20% white wheat
10% oat malt.

25* ibus from boil Magnum

whirlpool
Riwaka & Cascade 1:1

dryhop
Nelson & Galaxy 1:2

Abv: 8.1%

This is a really nice beer. Base of grapefruit and earth tropical fruits with an abundance of passionfruit, white grape/wine, and a touch of dankness. There is a faint character of that machine oil thing but i actually enjoy it. This will be brewed again for sure.
F5FD4F98-D575-4E3A-85BA-BDA80C0BCDED.jpeg

Man what a nice looking brew! I've been buying way too many Hazy IPA beers lately. I have to say that the oat ones are where I'm at. This style reminds me of work. Many guys call them welders, but few can actually weld. Many brew this style, few hit the balance and get it right.

I've been using a copper counter-flow chiller since I set up my E-HERMS. Nothing else in my setup has copper in it. I'm wondering if it is worth switching over to a SS chiller setup to avoid losing the thiols in my whirlpool hops. Will I notice the difference or is it a waste of money? Has anyone switched away from copper and noticed a difference?

Also, is anyone experimenting with dryhop temps still? I am going to try doing a 50F dryhop next I think. I did a 60F vs 74F (without soft crash) dryhop and found that they were very different to my taste and that I liked them both. The 60F version seemed to have a more dank aroma and more aroma. Flavor seemed a little maltier oddly. Also, it seemed to have a little less lingering bitterness. my wife couldn't tell the two apart, which shocked me. I'm wondering if one difference between the beers was that the lower dryhop temp retains more of the "hydrocarbon" content of the hops and so comes across as more dank?

I've been using a copper counter-flow chiller since I set up my E-HERMS. Nothing else in my setup has copper in it. I'm wondering if it is worth switching over to a SS chiller setup to avoid losing the thiols in my whirlpool hops. Will I notice the difference or is it a waste of money? Has anyone switched away from copper and noticed a difference?

Also, is anyone experimenting with dryhop temps still? I am going to try doing a 50F dryhop next I think. I did a 60F vs 74F (without soft crash) dryhop and found that they were very different to my taste and that I liked them both. The 60F version seemed to have a more dank aroma and more aroma. Flavor seemed a little maltier oddly. Also, it seemed to have a little less lingering bitterness. my wife couldn't tell the two apart, which shocked me. I'm wondering if one difference between the beers was that the lower dryhop temp retains more of the "hydrocarbon" content of the hops and so comes across as more dank?
I switched to stainless immersion from copper counterflow. Couldnt tell a difference.

update: it’s tapped.

grainbill
70% Pilsner
20% white wheat
10% oat malt.

25* ibus from boil Magnum

whirlpool
Riwaka & Cascade 1:1

dryhop
Nelson & Galaxy 1:2

Abv: 8.1%

This is a really nice beer. Base of grapefruit and earth tropical fruits with an abundance of passionfruit, white grape/wine, and a touch of dankness. There is a faint character of that machine oil thing but i actually enjoy it. This will be brewed again for sure. View attachment 708334

@Dgallo How would you say the mouthfeel on this is? Fluffy? (Looks super fluffy to me)

My IPAs have been somewhat fluffy lately but I keep getting this malty taste I don't really care for. (Thinking the white wheat is the culprit)
I've been trying to get to a neutral taste like The Veil or the new and improved Answer IPAs but can't seem to put my finger on it. Triple C seems to be a ton of 2 row and wheat (which I love) but not trying to nail that style.

My new favorite IPA place is HOMES up here in Michigan since they mix it up every other week with new IPA styles.

My latest recipe is:

51% 2 Row
17% White Wheat Malt
14% Flaked Wheat
13% Flaked Oats
3% Carafoam
2% Dextrose for ABV boost

1.079 OG / 1.016 FG
Mash 156
200 Cl, 100 SO4
A38 Juice

Edit: Also I don't care for super sweet IPAs too.

@Dgallo How would you say the mouthfeel on this is? Fluffy? (Looks super fluffy to me)

My IPAs have been somewhat fluffy lately but I keep getting this malty taste I don't really care for. (Thinking the white wheat is the culprit)
I've been trying to get to a neutral taste like The Veil or the new and improved Answer IPAs but can't seem to put my finger on it. Triple C seems to be a ton of 2 row and wheat (which I love) but not trying to nail that style.

My new favorite IPA place is HOMES up here in Michigan since they mix it up every other week with new IPA styles.

My latest recipe is:

51% 2 Row
17% White Wheat Malt
14% Flaked Wheat
13% Flaked Oats
3% Carafoam
2% Dextrose for ABV boost

1.079 OG / 1.016 FG
Mash 156
200 Cl, 100 SO4
A38 Juice

Edit: Also I don't care for super sweet IPAs too.
The mouthfeel is really good. Def has the pillow soft thing. Ever since I’ve targeted lower fg (1.012), I feel the mouthfeels got softer. The best way I can explain it is 1.016+ has made very full ipa but they kinda come across heavy on my pallet. When fg is lower, you get similar fullness from the grainbill and dryhoping but it’s much lighter on the pallet, so it comes across “fluffier”. FWIW I am mashing 150-152 in most of my recent ipas and have been enjoying them more than when I mashed higher than that

Now in terms of maltiness. Wheat provides a doughy type of flavor, oats have what I can best describe as that oatmeal type of flavor. If you are getting malty character from you’re beer it’s most likely your grain bill. When I look at your grain bill, you have almost 45% of it As a combination of it being wheat/oat, so I would definitely expect those flavor profiles to be present in the finish, especially if you are keep your ibus And boil additions low. Since you actively trying to keep the base more neutral, I would cut tht in half and up the base malt to about 70-75% and see what it brings you. Then you’ll now if you’d prefer less or more adjuncts In your beer.

Last edited:
The mouthfeel is really good. Def has the pillow soft thing. Ever since I’ve targeted lower fg (1.012), I feel the mouthfeels got softer. The best way I can explain it is 1.016+ has made very full ipa but they kinda come across heavy on my pallet. When fg is lower, you get similar fullness from the grainbill and dryhoping but it’s much lighter on the pallet, so it comes across “fluffier”. FWIW I am mashing 150-152 in most of my recent ipas and have been enjoying them more than when I mashed higher than that

Now in terms of maltiness. Wheat provides a doughy type of flavor, oats have what I can best describe as that oatmeal type of flavor. If you are getting malty character from you’re beer it’s most likely your grain bill. When I look at your grain bill, you have almost 45% of it As a combination of it being wheat/oat, so I would definitely expect those flavor profiles to be present in the finish, especially if you are keep your ibus And boil additions low. Since you actively trying to keep the base more neutral, I would cut tht in half and up the base malt to about 70-75% and see what it brings you. Then you’ll now if you’d prefer less or more adjuncts In your beer.
I must actually try this with my next attempt. I usually aim to finish around 1.018-20. Would also reduce the grainbill a bit as I'm usually at the limit on my Grainfather for a DIPA.

I must actually try this with my next attempt. I usually aim to finish around 1.018-20. Would also reduce the grainbill a bit as I'm usually at the limit on my Grainfather for a DIPA.
Give it a shot. I think you’ll enjoy it

Have a half pound of Bru-1 that I'm going to pair with Citra. Looking for another hop to throw into the mix, any recommendations? I'm sure mosaic would work but wouldn't mind trying something different. Hoping to have this ready for Christmas/New Years.

@Dgallo Saw these in my local craft beer shop in Melbourne and remembered you saying how good they were on this thread. Hope they're good cause they weren't cheap! :mug:

We got these in Adelaide as well. I didn’t end up buying the cans but a few pubs got some kegs so I’ve tried the Enso and Mass x Acceleration on tap and they were both delicious. There was a very distinctive taste that linked them both.

We got these in Adelaide as well. I didn’t end up buying the cans but a few pubs got some kegs so I’ve tried the Enso and Mass x Acceleration on tap and they were both delicious. There was a very distinctive taste that linked them both.
Wow! Since when is EQ shipping to Australia? Crazy.

That flavor is the “Eq juice” you see them note in their descriptions. To me it’s pure melon notes. It supposedly the interplay between their yeast and Citra/mosaic incognito they use. But again that’s just information I heard from a salesman for their distributor.

I’m glad you guys got to try some. I wish some of their triples got out to you because they are insanely good.

That flavor is the “Eq juice” you see them note in their descriptions. To me it’s pure melon notes. It supposedly the interplay between their yeast and Citra/mosaic incognito they use. But again that’s just information I heard from a salesman for their distributor.

I’m glad you guys got to try some. I wish some of their triples got out to you because they are insanely good.

Yep I definitely get the strong Melon flavour you’re talking about.

Hey guys, hope yall dont mind catching me up to speed here. I tried looking through the thread but there are a lot of pages! Are you guys using the recipe on page one or have yall tweaked it?

Yeah there’s been a company distributing some decent American beers for the last 6-12 months here now. We’ve been getting Parish, Toppling Goliath, Untitled Arts and some others. This is the first time we’ve gotten Equillibrium though.
How well does the Toppling Goliath travel to Australia? Here in Iowa, they are consistently among the best/most shelf-stable NEIPA’s you can find regularly.

How well does the Toppling Goliath travel to Australia? Here in Iowa, they are consistently among the best/most shelf-stable NEIPA’s you can find regularly.
I haven’t had a TG in a while. Since the pandemic I’ve been trying to support local and ny breweries as much as possible. But we have constant distro of TG in ny and I agree they really do a nice job with stability

Equilibrium have made their way to Europe too. Been very lucky to pick up a good few over the last few months. They're an insanely good brewery. Agree with Dgallo but their Tripels being so good. "Straight out of Middletown" is one of the best beers I've tried. @Dgallo do you know what yeast they use? They seem pretty secretive about their processes.

Equilibrium have made their way to Europe too. Been very lucky to pick up a good few over the last few months. They're an insanely good brewery. Agree with Dgallo but their Tripels being so good. "Straight out of Middletown" is one of the best beers I've tried. @Dgallo do you know what yeast they use? They seem pretty secretive about their processes.
They do not disclose their yeast...at least not that I’m aware of. They’re about 90 minutes from me and I agree, their triples are phenomenal.

This is a great listen if you’re so inclined:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4TrZAlUlrbqHdaCHbXilOv?si=YtqrWrUbRUKF4ImMxGChmg

I grew up and lived about 40 miles from them until about 2 years ago when I moved up to Albany. All I’ve ever heard is they are using a blend. They are huge on true brewing science and repeatability (both owners are MIT grads) as evident in their beer names lol but yea, they are open about most ingredients but very closed off on process. I’ve tried to harvest yeast from some doubles but no luck it getting a healthy repitch. I actually have a 4 pack of one of their pale ales sitting in the back of my beer fridge trying to get them as cold as possible so I can try to harvest from a low abv beer and send it out to a MTF member who can ruin genomes to find out what they are using.

I grew up and lived about 40 miles from them until about 2 years ago when I moved up to Albany. All I’ve ever heard is they are using a blend. They are huge on true brewing science and repeatability (both owners are MIT grads) as evident in their beer names lol but yea, they are open about most ingredients but very closed off on process. I’ve tried to harvest yeast from some doubles but no luck it getting a healthy repitch. I actually have a 4 pack of one of their pale ales sitting in the back of my beer fridge trying to get them as cold as possible so I can try to harvest from a low abv beer and send it out to a MTF member who can ruin genomes to find out what they are using.
Had a feeling science was in their background somewhere going off the names. Tried them last year for the first time when I drove through upstate New York going from the city to Niagara Falls. Stopped off at the Other Half place in Rochester and got a Triple colab they did with OH. Delighted to see them overe here now. Just took delivery today of a few more.

They did a virtual thing with Cloudwater during the summer.

Honestly, King Sue is one of my favourite beers so they must be travelling pretty well.

was just cleaning out a fermenter and noticed my "spent" dry hops still had a fair amount of aroma, even after steeping in beer for 3 days at 60º F. do your spent dry hops still have noticeable aroma? curious if i should take this as indication that i'm not using my hops efficiently and can/should dry hop longer, or agitate more during dry hopping.

Have a half pound of Bru-1 that I'm going to pair with Citra. Looking for another hop to throw into the mix, any recommendations? I'm sure mosaic would work but wouldn't mind trying something different. Hoping to have this ready for Christmas/New Years.

I am going for Bru-1/citra/galaxy from YVH cyber pack very soon. I think I can't go wrong with that trio. I never used Bru-1 Thinking 40%/40%/20% galaxy

The Fluctuation I had recently was dominated by melon/cantaloupe flavor. I found it slightly cloying but the flavor was outstanding. MC2 tasted like rotten mango. It was good, but didn't enjoy it quite as much.

You think Fluctuation is Cita/Mosaic?

So many IPAs today are pretty much indistinguishable - have to give EQ credit for putting out beers that have unique character.

I can test some of their beers next year and figure out what they're using for fermentation.

was just cleaning out a fermenter and noticed my "spent" dry hops still had a fair amount of aroma, even after steeping in beer for 3 days at 60º F. do your spent dry hops still have noticeable aroma? curious if i should take this as indication that i'm not using my hops efficiently and can/should dry hop longer, or agitate more during dry hopping.

I used to keg hop with the muslin bag and eventually throw that bag out. My god, the garbage always smelled so good when I tossed that hop bag. There was an interesting piece on "second generation dry hopping" in Craft Beer & Brewing mag. I don't think you can extract anything else out of them within the context of the same beer after the extraction has happened (24-48 hours), but there's likely some good flavors you can extract if you reuse the hops as a dry hop for another beer.

The Fluctuation I had recently was dominated by melon/cantaloupe flavor. I found it slightly cloying but the flavor was outstanding. MC2 tasted like rotten mango. It was good, but didn't enjoy it quite as much.

So many IPAs today are pretty much indistinguishable - have to give EQ credit for putting out beers that have unique character.

I can test some of their beers next year and figure out what they're using for fermentation.
They state on their site that they are using hand selected Citra but don’t list any others hops.

And yeah man, I’d love to know what yeast they are using

I find the intense melon flavor to be a combo of certain Citra/Simcoe lots. I’ve got a beer that I just tapped that is very similar in flavor to a lot of those EQ beers I’ve had... and I hate it.

I find the intense melon flavor to be a combo of certain Citra/Simcoe lots. I’ve got a beer that I just tapped that is very similar in flavor to a lot of those EQ beers I’ve had... and I hate it.
I think citra on its own can be very cantaloupe. I had a tg king sue that was cantaloupe one time the other time it was nore citrus grapefruit.

I'm trying to keep track of hop lot nrs to see if I can identify beforehand what citra has the nice bright fruit flavors. If anyone has any insights feel welcome to share.

I get the same taste from a lot of Treehouse beers and feel like this base hop combo has a lot to do with their signature flavor. I have seen where Simcoe/Amarillo combos can lend a similar flavor which makes me think its more Simcoe dependent and the Citra I get is more consistent.

I get the same taste from a lot of Treehouse beers and feel like this base hop combo has a lot to do with their signature flavor. I have seen where Simcoe/Amarillo combos can lend a similar flavor which makes me think its more Simcoe dependent and the Citra I get is more consistent.
I agree but for the newer releases, not any of the core. Beginners mind, juice project, and all curiosities since 100 (haven’t had 105 yet) have the EQ Flavor. Beginners mind taste exactly like Fluctuation Wave.

Back