New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome info and thanks for the details of your process. I've heard people dry hopping anywhere from 34-72F. I was thinking of trying to dry hop at 38F (carbonation temp) with ground up pellets for better extraction. My main goal is to get maximum aroma that showcases the best example of each hop.
I think this also depends on the yeast used. IMHO, Verdant, Juice, LAIII all don't let the hops shine as much as a24 dry hop. I still like them all but yeast esters can also sometimes cover up the hop profiles

E14927BC-562A-4995-ACBF-B1D6D06D1752.jpeg

My most recent double ipa 9% abv
I wanted to see how spectrum works as a cold dry hop. Only use spectrum to dry hop. I did you Nelson and galaxy hops in the whirlpool and ctz last 20 min of the boil.

View attachment 823374
I wanted to see how spectrum works as a cold dry hop. Only use spectrum to dry hop. I did you Nelson and galaxy hops in the whirlpool and ctz last 20 min of the boil.
How was the spectrum only dryhop?

We attempted that once, but it came across very one dimension and ended up adding t90 at 2 lb/bbl make it more interesting

Did you have a similar experience?

How was the spectrum only dryhop?

We attempted that once, but it came across very one dimension and ended up adding t90 at 2 lb/bbl make it more interesting

Did you have a similar experience?
It’s for sure galaxy driven. I don’t think I would add any T 90 0r 45 pellets. I had a pretty big whirlpool with 6 oz of Nelson and 4 of galaxy at 165f for 20 min. It’s has the hop bite at the end. I do think it’s one dimensional when it comes ro aroma, I wish the Nelson would have a bigger role .I personally like to keep my niepas at a 2 hop combo with citra mosaic or Nelson as my supporting hops and whatever other hop as my star. I had a few beers from green cheek and monkish this weekend and I felt they lacked hop expression in aroma. Most of their beers had a 5 hop combo and none of the individual hops stood out. Spectrum is good around 56 to 62 f. To answer your ? Yes it would be a spectacular beer with some T90 pellets to showcase hop flavor. Sorry I hope it makes sense, I have my one year old being a menace while I try to elaborate.

It’s for sure galaxy driven. I don’t think I would add any T 90 0r 45 pellets. I had a pretty big whirlpool with 6 oz of Nelson and 4 of galaxy at 165f for 20 min. It’s has the hop bite at the end. I do think it’s one dimensional when it comes ro aroma, I wish the Nelson would have a bigger role .I personally like to keep my niepas at a 2 hop combo with citra mosaic or Nelson as my supporting hops and whatever other hop as my star. I had a few beers from green cheek and monkish this weekend and I felt they lacked hop expression in aroma. Most of their beers had a 5 hop combo and none of the individual hops stood out. Spectrum is good around 56 to 62 f. To answer your ? Yes it would be a spectacular beer with some T90 pellets to showcase hop flavor. Sorry I hope it makes sense, I have my one year old being a menace while I try to elaborate.
Haha Life is wild with kids so I total get that. I have 4 and 2 year olds sons and a 5 month old daughter.

Overall sounds like your happy with it, so that’s def a good thing. What spectrum did you use, Galaxy? I’m assuming so.

I used Citra and i think I was expecting more than what it could do and was let down. The Galaxy could certainly be different

Haha Life is wild with kids so I total get that. I have 4 and 2 year olds sons and a 5 month old daughter.

Overall sounds like your happy with it, so that’s def a good thing. What spectrum did you use, Galaxy? I’m assuming so.

I used Citra and i think I was expecting more than what it could do and was let down. The Galaxy could certainly be different
That’s awesome congratulations. I’m just fortunate to have a 1 year old daughter. I did use galaxy but I have had the most success with mosaic spectrum.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us! Did you follow Barth-Hass recommendations & add at late fermentation? And this was the only dry hop addition? I was curious how this might work out with Galaxy’s high polyphenols specifically.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us! Did you follow Barth-Hass recommendations & add at late fermentation? And this was the only dry hop addition? I was curious how this might work out with Galaxy’s high polyphenols specifically.
Polyphenols are primarily in green plant material so I’m assuming their concentration is far decreased from t90

No i dumped spectrum with some ALDC and a crushed campdem tablet to a purged keg and racked the beer. I made sure it mixed really well with the beer by gently rolling the keg. The keg was hooked to the Co2 tank.

I’ve recently had several beers from Fidens, tired hands, veil, and a few others that were single hopped with mosaic. I’ve never really been a huge mosaic fan, finding it dank and oniony, but for some reason it looks like whatever lots they got recently are killer. Extremely expressive, fruity, and a clean character. Almost like the hop aroma and flavor are in high resolution. Wondering if anyone else has come across this

I’ve recently had several beers from Fidens, tired hands, veil, and a few others that were single hopped with mosaic. I’ve never really been a huge mosaic fan, finding it dank and oniony, but for some reason it looks like whatever lots they got recently are killer. Extremely expressive, fruity, and a clean character. Almost like the hop aroma and flavor are in high resolution. Wondering if anyone else has come across this
I’ve had a lot of good luck with mosaic Cryo and T90 from hop alliance.

All those places get hand selected lots of hops, and get to select from their absolutely best lots.

That said my mosaic in 2020 was terrible but my 2022 from yvh was much better

Just quit a brewery that I worked 6 days at that adds flour to keep their hazies hazy......

Just quit a brewery that I worked 6 days at that adds flour to keep their hazies hazy......
Did you post about this somewhere else. I feel like I just read this somewhere the other day.

Yeah that’s dumb. I can’t imagine that in 2023 where the knowledge of how to produce stable haze is easily accessible, they would do that. Fuc&’in dumb! Lol

Did you post about this somewhere else. I feel like I just read this somewhere the other day.

Yeah that’s dumb. I can’t imagine that in 2023 where the knowledge of how to produce stable haze is easily accessible, they would do that. Fuc&’in dumb! Lol
Posted it on a homebrew club on Facebook as well. I've tried 3 different breweries from around the area and I think I've come to the conclusion I just hate the mechanical side of commercial brewing. Which is like 90% of the job

Can never get good lighting in the house at night but this is force carbed leftovers from my NEIPA I kegged today - only the second NEIPA Ive brewed this year! lol. Used some Moutere in the boil at 15min and 5min but the rest (including DH) is all Nectaron, Citra, and Nelson. The Nelson actually smelled more fruity than I ever had right out of the bag prior to DH. Ive used Nectaron before but I htink this is the first time I've actually gotten that "peachy" characteristic peeps said it shines with. We will see how it develops but think I'll enjoy this one. Its fruity but with a touch of earth & dank which helps give this beer some dimension IMHO.

IMG_6161.jpg
IMG_6160.jpg

Posted it on a homebrew club on Facebook as well. I've tried 3 different breweries from around the area and I think I've come to the conclusion I just hate the mechanical side of commercial brewing. Which is like 90% of the job
Homebrewing 101 right?

Yeah I’ve only done it like 8 times now, but the automation does take some of the fun out. That said it’s a working out at the warbler (my local) to manually stir and mash in 600 lbs of grain and then rake out with it now weighing 1,200 to 1,400 lbs to put in bins that have to be dragged around lol

Last edited:
Homebrewing 101 right?
The part that bums me out the most is its never about making the best beer at these breweries its all about turning max profits the easiest way which immediately is at odds with my anarchist nature

The part that bums me out the most is its never about making the best beer at these breweries its all about turning max profits the easiest way which immediately is at odds with my anarchist nature
I guess I’m fortunate in my area that obviously price point matters but the general public is willing to pay $20-24/4pk so the breweries don’t sacrifice on quality for margins

Somehow the breweries around here charge the same amount. I don't know how they turn a profit or whos buying this ****. Oh well moving on haha

I am in Australia and I am not sure if anyone is interested but we of course have access to cheap and high quality au and nz hops. I have found especially with galaxy, nectaron and vic secret that fining after dryhopping is really important to remove the "bite" and takes 4 weeks off conditioning without losing the aroma from extra long conditioning. I see a lot of people struggle with Galaxy whirlpool and dryhop. I did too. Hope this helps

So I was in the process of saving up for the SS Brewtech Unitank 2.0, because I already have the glycol chiller, and I hate the coils on my brew buckets. Made no sense to get the unitank 1.0 (which has coils), even for the sale price. The jacketed system of the 2.0 was super appealing, but add in the heating/cooling component for the 7 gal version, and it comes out to almost $1600 for 1 tank. Come to find out, a friend of a friend was selling his entire brewing system due to some health issues, and he had 2 Unitank 1.0s for sale, with the heating/cooling components. I pulled the trigger and got 2 7 gal unitank 1.0s for less than the price of 1 2.0. Had to do it.

Long story short, I brewed up my familiar Citra/Cascade/Simcoe neipa, which I've done numerous times (transferred via auto siphon from my brew bucket to keg), but this time I was able to close transfer from the unitank. This is where things get interesting. I was able to sample directly from the unitank, so 7 days into primary I was getting what tasted like finished beer. Soft crashed on day 8, dry hopped on day 10 and kegged on day 12. Served it today to what ended up being a 5 man brew day, with 3 guys that have never brewed before. I gotta say, I was skeptical about the closed transfer making such a huge difference, but damn. DAMN! The aroma is as intense as I've ever had. Color is light straw and POPS. I'll be sure to get a pic in the next few days, but just had to share the experience. Might be my favorite neipa to date. On day 12. Unreal.

So I was in the process of saving up for the SS Brewtech Unitank 2.0, because I already have the glycol chiller, and I hate the coils on my brew buckets. Made no sense to get the unitank 1.0 (which has coils), even for the sale price. The jacketed system of the 2.0 was super appealing, but add in the heating/cooling component for the 7 gal version, and it comes out to almost $1600 for 1 tank. Come to find out, a friend of a friend was selling his entire brewing system due to some health issues, and he had 2 Unitank 1.0s for sale, with the heating/cooling components. I pulled the trigger and got 2 7 gal unitank 1.0s for less than the price of 1 2.0. Had to do it.

Long story short, I brewed up my familiar Citra/Cascade/Simcoe neipa, which I've done numerous times (transferred via auto siphon from my brew bucket to keg), but this time I was able to close transfer from the unitank. This is where things get interesting. I was able to sample directly from the unitank, so 7 days into primary I was getting what tasted like finished beer. Soft crashed on day 8, dry hopped on day 10 and kegged on day 12. Served it today to what ended up being a 5 man brew day, with 3 guys that have never brewed before. I gotta say, I was skeptical about the closed transfer making such a huge difference, but damn. DAMN! The aroma is as intense as I've ever had. Color is light straw and POPS. I'll be sure to get a pic in the next few days, but just had to share the experience. Might be my favorite neipa to date. On day 12. Unreal.
it would be great if you could do two batches side by side and do the comparison

it would be great if you could do two batches side by side and do the comparison
Well, I had a little leftover from my previous batch, and although they were about a month apart, the difference was significant. Basically, this is my best tasting neipa this early in the process. Never had this kind of aroma before being fully carbed. ZERO hop burn (I was able to dump yeast and trub before DH). Tastes like a conditioned neipa, 12 days from brew day. I imagine it will only get better in the next few weeks. Problem is my closed transfer had some hiccups (clogs) and I only got about 3.5/4 gallons into my keg. Definitely a learning curve...

Last edited:
Well, I had a little leftover from my previous batch, and although they were about a month apart, the difference was significant. Basically, this is my best tasting neipa this early in the process. Never had this kind of aroma before being fully carbed. ZERO hop burn (I was able to dump yeast a trub before DH). Tastes like a conditioned neipa, 12 days from brew day. I imagine it will only get better in the next few weeks. Problem is my closed transfer had some hiccups (clogs) and I only got about 3.5/4 gallons into my keg. Definitely a learning curve...
i always open transfer from primary to the keg. i had assumed it made no difference since it was such a short time. i'd love to hear about any side by side comparison someone has done on this. if it really does make a difference i will install a floating dip tube in my Fermonster.

i always open transfer from primary to the keg. i had assumed it made no difference since it was such a short time. i'd love to hear about any side by side comparison someone has done on this. if it really does make a difference i will install a floating dip tube in my Fermonster.
It literally makes a profound difference, especially with shelf life.

I mean, if it's as simple as installing a floating dip tube for you, then by all means, go for it. I just didn't have a cheap way to upgrade my system.

have you done a side by side comparison?
No,and I don’t mean to be rude but what would that even prove? The research is out everywhere today, o2 stales beer and greatly limits shelf life. Heavily dryhoped beers are at even more risk as I sure you’re aware. So if you close transfer, you are preventing air from contacting the beer or making its way into the keg to impact the beer down the road.

Last edited:
No,and I don’t mean to be rude but what would that even prove? The research is out everywhere today, o2 stales beer and greatly limits shelf life. Heavily dryhoped beers are at even more risk as I sure you’re aware. So if you close transfer, you are printing the air from contacting the beer or making its way into the keg to impact the beer down the road.
Dude, that's not rude at all, lol. My idea is that the transfer period is very fast and most of the oxidation would take effect in the very top layer of the beer which doesn't even make it into my keg. I don't really trust anything unless I can see that there is really a difference. I understand the theory, but in practice sometimes things can be less particular.

In answer to your question though. If you did a side by side comparison and found that the beers were indistinguishable, then you wouldn't have to worry about a closed transfer.

At the end of the day, the floating dip tube setup is not hard to implement, so I should probably just do it as cheap insurance.

have you done a side by side comparison?
It's not necessary for a side by side comparison at this point. The research has been done.

I was just providing my personal experience, as I was one of the, "auto siphon works just fine" brewers. But now that I've done a closed transfer, I'm sharing evidence, albeit anecdotal evidence, that shows it makes a difference.

View attachment 823374
To save me reading all the back posts, would you be able to private message me the recipe? That looks really good. Thanks in advance

It's not necessary for a side by side comparison at this point. The research has been done.

I was just providing my personal experience, as I was one of the, "auto siphon works just fine" brewers. But now that I've done a closed transfer, I'm sharing evidence, albeit anecdotal evidence, that shows it makes a difference.
Maybe you're right. Give me a good reference on this. I'll probably still do a comparison split batch just to convince myself. Thanks!

It’s been 4 or 5 years since I brewed this recipe, what is the latest version? Or group consensus recipe?

I went back 8 or 9 pages and didn’t see anything.

It’s been 4 or 5 years since I brewed this recipe, what is the latest version? Or group consensus recipe?

I went back 8 or 9 pages and didn’t see anything.
Are you still running that blog and analysing beers?

Latest posts

Back