New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is dry hopping under pressure not best practice? Listening to the second part of the CBB podcast with Russian River and Green Cheek and the Green cheek guy was saying they vent all through dry hopping. They blow co2 into the tank to rouse the hops but vent again once this is finished.

I dry hop in a keg and rouse by adding co2 down the dip tube but don't vent so I'm easily hopping under at least 10 psi. For the amount of hops I'm throwing at beers I'm not exactly happy with my results so trying to trouble shoot my process and this hit me while listening to the podcast.

I dry hop in a keg and rouse by adding co2 down the dip tube but don't vent so I'm easily hopping under at least 10 psi. For the amount of hops I'm throwing at beers I'm not exactly happy with my results so trying to trouble shoot my process and this hit me while listening to the podcast.
You only need to hold positive pressure. Literally 1-2 psi. 10 is way more than needed and will certainly carbonate the beer to some extent

You can’t rouse well with that much head pressure. Your better off spunding at like 3-4 psi while your rousing

I personally keep head pressure at 8-10 psi, and recirculate for 5 min twice over 48 hrs for 10-gal batches, under pressure. I find pressure and spunded carb adds to the mouthfeel. To each their own. There’s no wrong way to do it. At this point, it’s become personally preference

I personally keep head pressure at 8-10 psi, and recirculate for 5 min twice over 48 hrs for 10-gal batches, under pressure. I find pressure and spunded carb adds to the mouthfeel. To each their own. There’s no wrong way to do it. At this point, it’s become personally preference
You recirculate? No o2 issues?

Very interested in your process and any tips you found to avoid o2 pick up. I have a few industry friends who only rouse as they are nervous to recirculate and I would love to share your process with them

Also how much carb are you picking up? I’d imagine recirculating is carbing it quite a bit at 10 psi for 10 minutes.

Last edited:
I more or less use the set up from this thread (Recirculating hops in conical fermenter). Direct mount pump with as short of PVC. I haven’t noticed any O2 pickup versus rousing and the extraction I’ve noticed is substantially improved. I figure if there are no leaks while under positive pressure before turning over the tank, all my seals are good. It’s still a little nerve racking every time as any loose seal while running the pump would obviously be a catastrophe. Switching out the PVC for EVA barrier (or hard piping - lol) would be helpful for preventing ingress while the pump isn’t running. I’ve read that some will water/sanitizer purge the lines after assembly, but I haven’t figured out how to do that on my system. So I just run CO2 through the system for 20-30 seconds with one TC clamp loose, then tighten down and bring to the same pressure as the tank.

You only need to hold positive pressure. Literally 1-2 psi. 10 is way more than needed and will certainly carbonate the beer to some extent

You can’t rouse well with that much head pressure. Your better off spunding at like 3-4 psi while your rousing
I was always worried about blowing off aroma, think that's why I started just holding the pressure. Going to try just applying 1psi on my next brew just to keep the keg sealed, especially after listening to that podcast. They also mentioned they dry hop at 70C for around 48 hours, variety dependent. Pretty much goes against everything I've learned and practiced for the last few years. It's a great listen, Vinny is such an interesting and open guy.

I was always worried about blowing off aroma, think that's why I started just holding the pressure. Going to try just applying 1psi on my next brew just to keep the keg sealed, especially after listening to that podcast. They also mentioned they dry hop at 70C for around 48 hours, variety dependent. Pretty much goes against everything I've learned and practiced for the last few years. It's a great listen, Vinny is such an interesting and open guy.
Holy crap at 70 celsius?

This is my latest one, employed the patented dgallo closed transfer fermonster lids for the transfers on this one too. 8.4% NE DIPA. Outdoor lighting vs garage lighting pictures for transparency.

5.5 gal into the fermenter

76% Pilsner
21% Flaked Oats
3% dextrose
slightly missed my gravity so added .5lb extra light dme as well

OG: 1.080, FG: 1.018
~10 ibu hop extract to bitter
Whirlpool: 20g Citra Incognito, 20g Mosaic Incognito, 2oz Galaxy (30 mins around 160)
LAIII (repitched from a previous NEIPA)
Dry hop was 6oz LUPOMAX (3 each of mosaic/citra) at day 6 of fermentation, the rest of the DH was cold (55ish) off of the yeast split into two charges: 4.5oz Motueka, 4.5oz Riwaka, 2oz Galaxy, 1oz Citra LUPO, 1oz Mosaic Lupo. So 19oz of DH for the 5.5 gallons.

Was supposed to throw a little bit of citra/mosaic T90 in the dry hop as but I didn't like the way the pellets smelled so tossed them (was targeting 22oz total, or 4oz per gallon). This came out super well, very happy with it. Forgot to take a final pH reading but it was 5.1 going into the fermenter.

Attachments

• 4A83D379-4500-4A19-851B-208A105914CC.JPG
    4A83D379-4500-4A19-851B-208A105914CC.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0229.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

I'm carbing my beer while I dry hop in the DH keg. I set it to 40psi 24 hours before I transfer into the serving keg, then set it to serving pressure when it's in the serving keg. I usually forget to rouse but when I do I figure it's easier just to shake the keg.

This is my latest one, employed the patented dgallo closed transfer fermonster lids for the transfers on this one too. 8.4% NE DIPA. Outdoor lighting vs garage lighting pictures for transparency.

76% Pilsner
21% Flaked Oats
3% dextrose

Whirlpool: 20g Citra Incognito, 20g Mosaic Incognito, 2oz Galaxy (30 mins around 160)
Dry hop was 6oz LUPOMAX (3 each of mosaic/citra) at day 6 of fermentation, the rest of the DH was cold (55ish) off of the yeast split into two charges: 4.5oz Motueka, 4.5oz Riwaka, 2oz Galaxy, 1oz Citra LUPO, 1oz Mosaic Lupo. So 19oz of DH for the 5.5 gallons.

Was supposed to throw a little bit of citra/mosaic T90 in the dry hop as but I didn't like the way the pellets smelled so tossed them (was targeting 22oz total, or 4oz per gallon). This came out super well, very happy with it. Forgot to take a final pH reading but it was 5.1 going into the fermenter.
Tasting good? No rough bite from that huge dh?

Tasting good? No rough bite from that huge dh?
tiny bit of hop burn currently but I don't really mind that in NEIPAs. I think splitting the dry hop into multiple charges and moving it off of the previous charge helps minimize the hop burn (at least anecdotally in my experience). Transferred it to the serving keg sunday and drank two glasses of it way to quickly on Monday haha

76% Pilsner
21% Flaked Oats
3% dextrose

With a 19 oz DH, how much made it to the keg?

What is the consensus on adding LODO brewing's "trifecta" (ascorbic acid, sodium metabisulfate, and Brewtan-B) to the mash or during the dry hop?

I've noticed that some like to use ascorbic acid by itself, but I read that it creates hydrogen peroxide, which needs to be cleaned up with something like sodium metabisulfate. Here is a summary on ascorbic acid from Morebeer: "It works by rapidly converting dissolved oxygen into hydrogen peroxide before it has a chance to react with oxidative enzymes and cause browning. However, this hydrogen peroxide itself needs to be removed from the wine in order to avoid the very phenomenon that was trying to be avoided in the first place, namely oxidizing the wine."

Thanks in advance! :mug:

What is the consensus on adding LODO brewing's "trifecta" (ascorbic acid, sodium metabisulfate, and Brewtan-B) to the mash or during the dry hop?

I've noticed that some like to use ascorbic acid by itself, but I read that it creates hydrogen peroxide, which needs to be cleaned up with something like sodium metabisulfate. Here is a summary on ascorbic acid from Morebeer: "It works by rapidly converting dissolved oxygen into hydrogen peroxide before it has a chance to react with oxidative enzymes and cause browning. However, this hydrogen peroxide itself needs to be removed from the wine in order to avoid the very phenomenon that was trying to be avoided in the first place, namely oxidizing the wine."

Thanks in advance! :mug:
Can you use it, sure. There is evidence it can prevent oxidation

I am sure this will be an unpopular opinion but I think it’s far more important to improve on true LODO process versus adding it.

This is by no way pointed at you just speaking in general, but So many people are coming into brewing hazes now with all the information they need on the internet (this thread was 1 or page pages in when I started) and as a result I feel that many brewers use crutches to fix their problems instead of fixing their process. For example, their ipas arent oxidized but they have no head, fusel, tannins, etc

Sorry, rant over lol
7C758FB8-E747-425B-B5AD-E1722C4D2AE7.gif

That gif! 🤣 Yeah, I definitely agree that it's most important to prevent oxygen through one's process rather than using crutches to fix problems. I am very good at preventing oxygen from touching my beer and have no problems with oxidation, but I was just curious if the "trifecta" was widely used or even necessary. I have a hunch that it isn't truly necessary if already using good habits to prevent oxygen, but it's good to hear what others have to say and potentially learn from it.

Sorry, rant over lol
7C758FB8-E747-425B-B5AD-E1722C4D2AE7.gif
First off, I love this gif! And I hate to even tilt this thread into LODO territory because I know how polarizing it can be. But I have an opinion on this topic directly from a lot of experience. So I'll share it... @Dgallo mentions process as critical and I agree 100%. But what he is referring to (I assume) is cold side oxidation, which is extremely important for NEIPA's and any other hop heavy beer. And very much process sensitive. I think most of us minimize oxygen ingress for all beers, regardless of style, beginning from fermentation on. If you don't, you should.

The question about the "trifecta", however, refers to hotside LODO which is a whole 'nuther animal. I personally use as many hotside LODO procedures that are possible (and relatively easy) for all of my lagers given my process limitations. For me, this includes a pre-boil or yeast scavenge for the strike water, the "trifecta" pre-mash in, extremely slow wetting of the grist (BIAB), I would underlet if I had a separate mash tun, minimizing splashing throughout, a mash cap, and oxygenating simultaneously with yeast pitch. That's it...

That raises the question whether hotside LODO techniques improve NEIPA's. And I've done it both ways many times. In my experience, malt forward beers benefit greatly from hotside LODO, both in malt flavor and flavor stability. I'm talking about Pilsners, Kölsch, other lagers and malt forward ales (excluding English Bitters/IPA's...I see no difference in those). I do not think that hotside LODO allows any forgiveness for cold side process failures.

And for NEIPA's, the only difference I can perceive is... flavor stability is increased with hotside LODO. So my opinion is, if you are going to keep a NEIPA on draft for more than a month or so, hotside LODO practices keep the hop expression (both flavor and aroma) going much longer than without those practices. Cheers!

First off, I love this gif! And I hate to even tilt this thread into LODO territory because I know how polarizing it can be. But I have an opinion on this topic directly from a lot of experience. So I'll share it... @Dgallo mentions process as critical and I agree 100%. But what he is referring to (I assume) is cold side oxidation, which is extremely important for NEIPA's and any other hop heavy beer. And very much process sensitive. I think most of us minimize oxygen ingress for all beers, regardless of style, beginning from fermentation on. If you don't, you should.

The question about the "trifecta", however, refers to hotside LODO which is a whole 'nuther animal. I personally use as many hotside LODO procedures that are possible (and relatively easy) for all of my lagers given my process limitations. For me, this includes a pre-boil or yeast scavenge for the strike water, the "trifecta" pre-mash in, extremely slow wetting of the grist (BIAB), I would underlet if I had a separate mash tun, minimizing splashing throughout, a mash cap, and oxygenating simultaneously with yeast pitch. That's it...

That raises the question whether hotside LODO techniques improve NEIPA's. And I've done it both ways many times. In my experience, malt forward beers benefit greatly from hotside LODO, both in malt flavor and flavor stability. I'm talking about Pilsners, Kölsch, other lagers and malt forward ales (excluding English Bitters/IPA's...I see no difference in those). I do not think that hotside LODO allows any forgiveness for cold side process failures.

And for NEIPA's, the only difference I can perceive is... flavor stability is increased with hotside LODO. So my opinion is, if you are going to keep a NEIPA on draft for more than a month or so, hotside LODO practices keep the hop expression (both flavor and aroma) going much longer than without those practices. Cheers!
Do you have data to support these conclusions?

Going back to this, I had other half’s “all Nectaron everything” last night and it also had this metallic/weird aroma which was unpleasant and exactly the flavor I had in mine. I am not enjoying this hop at all, and I have 2 lbs of it…
I'll take a lb of it off your hands if ya want

Going back to this, I had other half’s “all Nectaron everything” last night and it also had this metallic/weird aroma which was unpleasant and exactly the flavor I had in mine. I am not enjoying this hop at all, and I have 2 lbs of it…
Might need to cut down the extraction time, but in the end seems like the good stuff is all privy to people who can actually handpick the good ones out.
For me all nz toppers, riwaka, nelson, nectaron all got diesel in some amount and it varies greatly

Have they rebrewed that recently? I had it back in January, and really didn’t like it at all. Most diesel forward beer I’ve ever had. The lot of nectaron we used for the collab was far more fruit forward but it was still present, that’s why we choose to brighten it with Citra and Nelson

Have they rebrewed that recently? I had it back in January, and really didn’t like it at all. Most diesel forward beer I’ve ever had. The lot of nectaron we used for the collab was far more fruit forward but it was still present, that’s why we choose to brighten it with Citra and Nelson
I had it on tap at other half Philly. It was the all Nectaron everything cryo edition. Released 5/29

I had it on tap at other half Philly. It was the all Nectaron everything cryo edition. Released 5/29
I was trying to look for it on the Philly to go but couldn’t find it so it must be a tap only thing.

I didn’t realize nectaron had cryo options yet, that’s pretty cool. I wonder who’s the supplier of that

I was trying to look for it on the Philly to go but couldn’t find it so it must be a tap only thing.

I didn’t realize nectaron had cryo options yet, that’s pretty cool. I wonder who’s the supplier of that
Nvm I see it was canned too. Finger lakes and nyc have it. Also found out it’s Yakima chief that cryo’d it and it’s the first us beer to have cryo nectaron. It’s a Shame it was metallic

Can you kinda tell what you're going to get from your batch of Nectaron by smelling or is it just pot luck? I got some more Nectaron and Nelson from Yakima during the week to brew your beer.

Can you kinda tell what you're going to get from your batch of Nectaron by smelling or is it just pot luck? I got some more Nectaron and Nelson from Yakima during the week to brew your beer.
Def not perfectly but I’d like to say I can get ballpark. I feel like it’s easier to understand dryhop outcomes than hotside outcomes

Def not perfectly but I’d like to say I can get ballpark. I feel like it’s easier to understand dryhop outcomes than hotside outcomes
I'd love to be at that level. I just have to hope for the best. The Nectaron I have is definitely diesel heavy, but I just know this from brewing with it which is why I got more from Yakima. Have you used the 22 batch from Yakima? any feedback?

Hmm, I brewed in January and did a 3oz dry hop of nectaron that didn’t give off diesel but I fermented too warm and transferred on Day 2 to keg (with spunding valve) and the beer was yeast forward which may have covered up some diesel taste.
Memorial day I brewed Nates Tree House IPA and was going to substitute some of the citra with my last 3oz nectaron but now I’m thinking I stay true to the recipe of equal parts simcoe, citra and Amarillo

I visited the United States back in April and went to the OH taproom in Brooklyn. They had All Nectaron Everything on draft there so I ordered a glass. To me it was pure marijuana. It was the dankest beer I’ve ever smelled and tasted.

Has anyone ground up hop pellets for better extraction at cold temps?

Last edited:
A little insight on Nectaron…

I started buying this from Australia and having it shipped to me in 2019. It was just HORT 4337 at the time. I still remember the first time I opened the first bag. Was floored by the smell. The pellets were so oily they were all stuck together and were actually incredibly hard to break apart. The first beer I made with it used maybe 20% Nectaron paired with equal parts Riwaka and Nelson. The Nectaron dominated the mix which was impressive considering the potency of the other two varieties.

I never got any diesel out of it at all. Zero. It was almost more Australian than New Zealand. It’s a sister to Waimea which I also get no diesel out of.

Took a while but we have it under contract at my brewery. The lot we have on contract is not anywhere near the stuff I was getting when I was ordering it from Australia as a homebrewer. It actually has a lot of OG when smelling the open bag which I’ve never got from any NZ hops. However none of that comes through in the beer. I don’t get any diesel out of the stuff we have. We make a single hop pale ale dry hopped at 1.5#/bbl with it and use it as the feature hop in a 5% IPA called Laser Kiwi that’s maybe 50% of the blend (Nelson, NZ Cascade make up the rest).

It’s definitely unique and really stands out to me. I find it hard to describe it’s profile. Mostly pineapple/peach. Little grass. Zero diesel however.

Haven’t had many other Nectaron beers.

When Nectaron is good and 586 is good that combo might be the coolest combo I’ve ever experienced. Better than the best Galaxy beer I’ve ever had. Sadly neither are great right now it seems.

Last edited:
Prepping to brew another one of these using citra, mosaic, and Nelson. Also thinking of incorporating 1lb of Saaz into the mash and using cosmic punch, but not 100% on that yet.

I’m thinking of breaking it up this way…

Whirlpool 1lb/bbl
Citra/Mosaic (1:2) at 170F

Dry Hop 1 (tail end of ferm) 1lb/bbl
Mosaic/Nelson (2:1) at 64F

Dry shop 2 (after soft crash) 3lb/bbl
Citra/Nelson (1.5:1) at 60F

I’ve read some of the other threads/posts with people talking about Nelson being potent. I don’t want it stealing the show which is why I’m keeping it lower.

All that said, here’s what that schedule looks like. Thoughts?

HOPS:
1 lb - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Mash, IBU: 3.6
8 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 170 °F, IBU: 4.25
16 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 170 °F, IBU: 9.65
16 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop (High Krausen) for 4 min
8 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop (High Krausen) for 4 min
29 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days
19 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days

EDIT: I’ll probably swap out some for Lupomax or something like that to lower the vegetal matter in the tank

Prepping to brew another one of these using citra, mosaic, and Nelson. Also thinking of incorporating 1lb of Saaz into the mash and using cosmic punch, but not 100% on that yet.

I’m thinking of breaking it up this way…

Whirlpool 1lb/bbl
Citra/Mosaic (1:2) at 170F

Dry Hop 1 (tail end of ferm) 1lb/bbl
Mosaic/Nelson (2:1) at 64F

Dry shop 2 (after soft crash) 3lb/bbl
Citra/Nelson (1.5:1) at 60F

I’ve read some of the other threads/posts with people talking about Nelson being potent. I don’t want it stealing the show which is why I’m keeping it lower.

All that said, here’s what that schedule looks like. Thoughts?

HOPS:
1 lb - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Mash, IBU: 3.6
8 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 170 °F, IBU: 4.25
16 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 170 °F, IBU: 9.65
16 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop (High Krausen) for 4 min
8 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop (High Krausen) for 4 min
29 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days
19 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days

EDIT: I’ll probably swap out some for Lupomax or something like that to lower the vegetal matter in the tank

Yee finally doing a hazy on the big setup!
The recipe looks really good, I'm not sure if you're doing tail end or high krausen - your notes vary, but I'd say that most of us have moved away from high krausen additions, I add a little bit of my DH very late so that my cans don't explode later, otherwise most folks here are DH'ing at around 50-55F. I highly recommend Lupomax late on, good stuff.

Otherwise DH looks a wee bit low to me, but I'm not good at bbl maths...

Personal comment on thiolized yeasts, I don't mash hop to "maximize" the thiols, they're already powerful AF and overpower everything in their path. Having said that, Cosmic Punch is pleasantly toned down compared to Helio gazer. It's still pretty evident tho.

The recipe looks really good, I'm not sure if you're doing tail end or high krausen - your notes vary, but I'd say that most of us have moved away from high krausen additions, I add a little bit of my DH very late so that my cans don't explode later, otherwise most folks here are DH'ing at around 50-55F. I highly recommend Lupomax late on, good stuff.

Personal comment on thiolized yeasts, I don't mash hop to "maximize" the thiols, they're already powerful AF and overpower everything in their path. Having said that, Cosmic Punch is pleasantly toned down compared to Helio gazer. It's still pretty evident tho.
Yep finally doing one! Surprisingly, hoppy styles don’t sell that well with our locals haha.

As far as the dry hop, it was going to be tail end of fermentation. BF doesn’t have that option so I set it as high krausen but in reality, it’s tail end of fermentation.

I swapped out all of the Mosaic for Lupomax and I swapped the citra from the second dry hop for Lupomax.

You talking second dry hop or first one? I was targeting 4-5lb/bbl total dry hop and was going to do 1.5lb/bbl in the first and 3lb/bbl in the second which is, I believe, where I’m with the above numbers.

My math…
40 gal in fermenter
31 gal in bbl

40 / 31 = 1.29

Dry hop 1 = 1.5lbs
Dry hop 2 = 3lbs

As far as cosmic vs helio, I thought helio had a higher attenuation but I was mistaken. Maybe I’ll look into that one instead. Not sure on that one yet. I don’t have any experience with thiolized yeasts…

Latest posts

Back