Noob questions about my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinnick

Reaction score
I started some Centennial, Fuggle and Golding hops about a year ago. The area that I tried to grow them was pretty harsh. So, I dug up the ones that lived through the venture and put them in large 5 gallon pots. They are growing inside now and are about 12' in length. They are doing pretty well but I plan on putting them back out once it gets a little warmer. What temps should I look for before transplanting? How much sun do they really need? I had them sitting in an area where they had sun almost all day. Also, the Fuggle hops started off with a heart shaped leaf and now it looks more forked like the centennial. Is this an indication of anything? Is it ok to allow two bines to wrap around each other?
Thanks, Nick

I grow my own hops. I don't know where you live, but......I would think highs in 50's and lows in 40's would be ok for replant. I live in Indiana and put in my original rhizomes in March. They start coming up pretty early in the spring while it's still pretty chilly in the evening.

Give em as much sun as possible, they are a full sun plant and trust me, once you see them in their full splender as they shoot for the stars, you'll see why they need all that sun. They call them the godzilla of the garden because you can almost sit and watch them grow once they get established.....ok exageration....but we're seriously talkin super fast growth. For the first year, frequent light watering. After that.....less frequent deep watering.

Don't worry too much about what the leaves do....unless they start to look wilted or burnt extreme color change....stuff like that.

Don't worry too much about bines wrapping on themselves.....just keep the different varieties about 6 feet apart if you can when planted to keep the bines from dif varaieties from mixing.....this will help keep them separate for ease of harvest.

These things can get up to 25 feet long when mature......2-3 years down the road.

Try doing a google search for hop gardening for more info. If you have specific questions later, about bugs, trouble shooting....fell free to send me a message in the future. Once you get going, its a fun hobby.....but lots of work.....and lots and lots of work. Especially when you get peak harvests comming in. I have two cascade, one centennial and one columbus at full maturity. I have one new start each I just put in last year in a dif yard. They all come to ripeness at different times. I'm harvesting from early August all the way through Sept. and I do multiple picks so that I harvest most of the hops at peak ripeness instead of taking them all at once. I harvestd about 8 pounds of hops last year. You can put the extras on Craigs list :)

Hope this helps get you started.

Back