Noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyeyebrow

Reaction score
I'm doing my first batch of blonde this week was hoping to try an ipa next week but am worried about storage is it ok to keep in a room temputure area or does it have to go in the fridge soon as it is ready if so I'm gonna need a bigger fridge lol

Once bottled, your beer can be stored at room temp.. Bottle conditioning will take a couple of weeks to fully carbonate the beer. It can then be chilled and enjoyed any time after that.

Some beers benefit from longer storage in bottle but I find most of my beers are better fresh.

Sry didn't explain my self properly I mean when it's fully carbonated is there a certain amount of time it can stay where it is or does it have to be chilled soon as carbonation completes

Sry didn't explain my self properly I mean when it's fully carbonated is there a certain amount of time it can stay where it is or does it have to be chilled soon as carbonation completes
It can stay where it is for a long time. Ever walked into a beer store?
For many beers extended bottle conditioning time is better anyway.

When ready to drink, put in fridge for a few hours to chill and get the carbonation to absorb. 1-2 days in fridge gets a bit more carbonation absorbed into the beer, and causing less foaming when poured. Don't shake, lay on their side, or invert as you want to keep the settled yeast/trub on the bottom.

It can stay where it is for a long time. Ever walked into a beer store?
For many beers extended bottle conditioning time is better anyway.

When ready to drink, put in fridge for a few hours to chill and get the carbonation to absorb. 1-2 days in fridge gets a bit more carbonation absorbed into the beer, and causing less foaming when poured. Don't shake, lay on their side, or invert as you want to keep the settled yeast/trub on the bottom.

now you got me wondering....why did beer go 'bad' on it's way to india? and need so much hops?

now you got me wondering....why did beer go 'bad' on it's way to india? and need so much hops?
That myth of the origins of IPA has been debunked. Beer likely went bad, but the hops had nothing to do with preservation.

That myth of the origins of IPA has been debunked. Beer likely went bad, but the hops had nothing to do with preservation.
Check out Mitch Steele's book on IPA regarding this, if you haven't already. According to the book, hops definitely do have a preservative effect, but that's not why they were added to beer going to India. They were also added in the same amounts for domestic beer. Apparently the term IPA was invented for marketing long after the style was being shipped to India, and the style was not unique to beers being shipped to India. There was a difference in that the beers being shipped weren't aged as long before shipment, compared to the equivalent beers being sold domestically, and some thought or evidence that the constant rocking of the casks during shipment hastened the aging process. So they could have and probably did taste different when they were leaving England on the way to India, but tasted the same as English equivalents once they were in India.

Check out Mitch Steele's book on IPA regarding this, if you haven't already. According to the book, hops definitely do have a preservative effect, but that's not why they were added to beer going to India. They were also added in the same amounts for domestic beer. Apparently the term IPA was invented for marketing long after the style was being shipped to India, and the style was not unique to beers being shipped to India. There was a difference in that the beers being shipped weren't aged as long before shipment, compared to the equivalent beers being sold domestically, and some thought or evidence that the constant rocking of the casks during shipment hastened the aging process. So they could have and probably did taste different when they were leaving England on the way to India, but tasted the same as English equivalents once they were in India.

Thanks for expanding upon that. My post intent was not intended to say that it was a total myth. Just that it is not the story that most of us were told.

Couple of thoughts. First, storing at room temp is fine generally speaking, but also depends on length of time, as well as beer style. Beers will age slower if cooled which may be desired, but also may not matter. Lastly if brewing and storing an IPA, hops will lose their freshness in beer quicker than other ingredients. Best to drink those sooner for freshest hop flavor. As many of these aspects depends on what you are making, how long you are storing, what temps you have, best bet is to simply take tasting notes along the way and see when you start to notice a difference.

Latest posts

Back