No bubbles in my airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scratch

Reaction score
Sorry, the title is sort of a trap. Surely some worried newbie will find this in his search for reassurance about the lack of bubbles in his airlock.

I just opened the first bottle of a batch that I brewed 5 weeks ago. It was very nice, and perfectly carbed. Just what I wanted.

Thing is, in this batch I got no bubbles whatsoever out of my airlock. None. This was a Czech-style Pilsner, and I fermented in my basement where the temperature was around 55. After four days I wasn't exactly worried, but called the brew shop to make sure I wasn't out of the recommended temperature range. They told me I was good. When I got home that same day the krausen had started to form, and that was the first sign of fermentation.

I never saw, heard, or smelled any sign of bubbles coming through the airlock for the entire 4 weeks this batch was in the fermenter (glass carboy with a properly fitted rubber cap.) I don't think it happened while I was out of the house either, because there were no signs of residue or even wetness in the upper areas of the airlock. The level of the sanitizing fluid did shift a little, which may have been due to CO2 production or possibly to just a change in temperature.

But there WERE clear signs of fermentation. The wort/beer churned and roiled in its usual fashion.

But no bubbles ever. So take heart. It's OK.

This is why gravity readings are so important.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Home Brew mobile app

The question why were there no bubbles unless there was a leak. If co2 is being created it's going somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I just did a Helles... No bubbles no nothing for 3 days, pop the top and krausen on top... 2 weeks later check gravity and it's done and smells like beer. I'll be tossing the bucket to the side lines, maybe leaking or really who knows every beer is a little different. As long as it doesn't stink and your fg is good it's drinkable.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

I've had a couple of similar experiences and they were due to leaks. On one, I could see the activity, but no bubbles in the airlock. I pulled off the orange carboy cap, wrapped a couple of lengths of electrical tape around the neck, and cinched it down with 2 zip ties connected together. Voila--it started bubbling like crazy.

If fermentation is occurring, CO2 is being produced and it has to go somewhere. Whether it's through the airlock or out of a leaky fitting is the question.

Definitely a seal leak around the lid, if you had no airlock activity. You should be able to replace the lid only, and if you get a new one, make sure it has a gasket to ensure a tight seal. I am sure your beer will turn out great. Cheers!

He said it was a glass carboy. My bet is that the rubber bung was sanitized before it was inserted. While it was wet is could have slipped up just enough that the CO2 could escape. I've had this happen before. It could also be that the airlock wasn't full enough.

Just to be clear though, the airlock doesn't necessarily form bubbles. The bell inside it (if that's the kind you use) moves up and down to relieve pressure formed by the CO2. I use alcohol in mine and don't get actual bubbles.

I should scroll all the way to the top for the OP next time, instead of responding to the 4th post down. :)

My response above was for you theck. :mug:

I should scroll all the way to the top for the OP next time, instead of responding to the 4th post down. :)

My response above was for you theck. :mug:

The lid was a new one, the bucket is probably at this point 15 years old. Not sure why I used it and not the brand new one I have but... oh well it still turned out to be beer.

I just kegged a rye saison. Not only did I have no bubbles, I didn't have any blowoff...I always have blowoff. I got about 91% attenuation. Just goes to show that every fermentation is different.

Sent from my XT1060 using Home Brew mobile app

It's possible there was a leak, but I doubt it. The rubber cap was a pretty tight fit.

While the fermentation was underway I figured that the reduction in temperature and the CO2 production just canceled each other out in the same volume (recalling that PV=nRT.) It's also possible that some snuck out through the airlock without leaving any telltale residue.

The beer is great, even after just a week in the bottle. My wife even asked for one out of the blue. Tonight I had almost as much fun making the labels as I did brewing the beer.

temp_label.jpg

Back