No bubbles in airlock, no fizz in the product

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhruv verma

Reaction score
I am preparing kombucha in a SS conical fermenter of 60 litre and in my secondary fermentation i added carrot and turmeric as flavoring.
The current volume of liquid is 40 litre in a 60 litre conical fermenter.
For first two days, i could see bubbles rising up in airlock, but now nothing.
Also, i tried the product i comes out with no fizz.
It is my 4th day of secondary fermentation.
I have attached video of airlock and tye product.

Attachments

• VID-20210616-WA0001.mp4
    1.3 MB
  • VID-20210618-WA0018.mp4
    1.3 MB
  • VID-20210619-WA0007.mp4
    791.2 KB
Did you add any sugar for the scoby to eat in secondary? Not sure carrots and turmeric on their own will do it.

Also it won’t carbonate with an airlock. It needs positive pressure to carbonate like bottles or mason jars with lids.

Nope, i didn't add any extra sugar...i add sugar in first fermentation.

I thought, airlock can help preserve the Carbonation in the tank..as what i have seen previously.

Nope, i didn't add any extra sugar...i add sugar in first fermentation.

I thought, airlock can help preserve the Carbonation in the tank..as what i have seen previously.

It may have had enough sugar to carbonate from the initial amount you put in, I wouldn’t be able to tell you. That’s part of the initial recipe design.

As far as an airlock goes that’s as good as a towel over the top. It lets all internal pressure out and nothing back in. Airlocks are just good for keeping oxygen out of an active fermentation.

So what do you recommend, which can introduce fizz in the booch.

Shall i add extra sugar or force carbonate.
Or any other solution

So what do you recommend, which can introduce fizz in the booch.

Shall i add extra sugar or force carbonate.
Or any other solution

Yeah either would work! If you can force carbonate I would do that as it’ll be simpler.

If you can’t force carbonate I’d use a bottle carbonation calculator online to determine how much sugar to add, then bottle.

Kombucha SCOBY does not ferment vigorously like brewer's yeast. Secondary fermentation such as you are doing... it is just a flavoring step. If you want to carbonate you must prime it in bottles, or force carbonate. You can prime with many types of fermentable sugars, such as dextrose, sucrose, fructose, etc.

Back