New fermentation equipment now no bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinjasp

Reaction score
Picked up a SS brew tech fermenter and keg fridge to better control temperature. Added an inkbird ITC 308 wifi controller and thought it would definitely improve my results.
I tried my first brew using an S-04 yeast in a blonde ale dialed in my inkbird for 65 F as per the recipe recommendation and tgere is no bubbles that I can see in the fermenter.
I have always used my fermzilla on past and you can visibly see any activity. With the stainless steel brew tech this is not possible.
I pitched on Sunday and today is Friday. Still nothing. I have increased the temp. Gradually in hopes of getting things moving and dumped a little of the liquid out of the bubbler as maybe it was creating an airlock.
Whats my next step to ensure fermentation has started? OG reading?

The most likely explanation is that your fermenter has a small leak (one possibility is that the lid isn’t perfectly seated) and the CO2 produced by fermentation went thataway rather than bubbling the airlock. And by now fermentation could be finished, so even if you fixed the leak the airlock wouldn’t start bubbling.

Since you have a valve on the fermenter, you can take a sample without exposing the beer to oxygen. Go ahead and check the specific gravity (and taste it.). I bet it’s done or close.

I have found with my ss conicals that even though they have four clank down clamps the CO2 will still find and easier route out than through the ferm lock so do not worry. On the other hand with a good active yeast strain pitched it can take off and you get activity from a very early point in the fermentation. I would rather lift the lid on day two and check for a bit of a head than increase the temperature .

I have found with my ss conicals that even though they have four clank down clamps the CO2 will still find and easier route out than through the ferm lock so do not worry. On the other hand with a good active yeast strain pitched it can take off and you get activity from a very early point in the fermentation. I would rather lift the lid on day two and check for a bit of a head than increase the temperature .
Good to know Jambop will remember that on my next batch

Whats my next step to ensure fermentation has started? OG reading?
Hopefully you already took a OG (original gravity) reading before you pitched the yeast.

Taking a SG (specific gravity) reading is about the only way to truly know if your wort is in fact fermenting into beer.

Before I had a electronic hydrometer I could leave in the FV, I use to not worry about it until the beer cleared up and I could see across the trub layer. But of course that only works if your FV has clear sides.

So if you really haven't seen other evidence of a Kraeusen, such as a ring of crud a on the sides just a little bit above the surface level, then you might take a sample and measure the SG. But if you didn't get a OG reading, then it might already be finished fermenting and reached it's FG. And you won't have anything to compare the reading to, other than the recipe prediction.

IMO, reaching FG doesn't mean it's ready to bottle or keg. Let it clear up first. Or at least go almost two weeks. Yeast get rid of off flavors and other good stuff after they've finished fermenting.

Hopefully you already took a OG (original gravity) reading before you pitched the yeast.

Taking a SG (specific gravity) reading is about the only way to truly know if your wort is in fact fermenting into beer.

Before I had a electronic hydrometer I could leave in the FV, I use to not worry about it until the beer cleared up and I could see across the trub layer. But of course that only works if your FV has clear sides.

So if you really haven't seen other evidence of a Kraeusen, such as a ring of crud a on the sides just a little bit above the surface level, then you might take a sample and measure the SG. But if you didn't get a OG reading, then it might already be finished fermenting and reached it's FG. And you won't have anything to compare the reading to, other than the recipe prediction.

IMO, reaching FG doesn't mean it's ready to bottle or keg. Let it clear up first. Or at least go almost two weeks. Yeast get rid of off flavors and other good stuff after they've finished fermenting.
Yes I did take an OG reading so hopefully the fermentation is all complete and I will drop the temperature and let it clear. Might be going back to my fermzilla next time so I can see whats happening and can be sure of no leaks

Back