Newbies and Clubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamnw

Reaction score
I have been brewing since February 2011. I brewed 4 batches of beer that I would not pour on a fire to put it out. It was undrinkable.
I was in the Navy, it was undrinkable. Believe me I tried.

I finally joined a local brew club. Best thing I did. The feedback I got was outstanding. Funny part to me was to watch people I didn't know try to be nice and say my beer was good. Knowing it was crap. But there were a couple guys who were serious about brewing, and they gave me the feedback I was looking for.

After taking their advice I brewed a couple beers that actually tasted good. Even had a few people offer to pay me to make some for them. After telling them how illegal it was, and how much it cost, they decided it was easier to learn to do it themselves.

And that's my point. I read Papazian, and Palmer (my favorite), but the feedback you get from experienced brewers is priceless.
I've spent countless hours on here too. But, until someone tells you that taste in your beer is "this or that", and "this or that" causes it. You are just floating around aimlessly.

Join your local brew club. Not only will you meet some great people, you will save yourself a lot of head ache and money.

Oh, and really: RDWHAHB

Great advice, unless you live somewhere that is completely devoid of brew clubs :D

Hrm. Now that I think about it... Maybe I should start my own. Thanks for the advice!

i went to my LHBS, which has its own club expecting to join a big happy family of brewers...

The reality was that i was rushed out of the store very quickly. i was trying to ask questions, but it seemed as though they wanted to get to the next customer as quickly as possible. this has happened on a couple of occasions. They never even suggested i join the club. i had a problem with the first batch and they offered little help. That's when i hopped on here. i got all the help i needed here. its to the point now where i stopped buying from them, except for yeast. maybe i showed up at the wrong times, but that doesn't seem right to me.

i went to my LHBS, which has its own club expecting to join a big happy family of brewers...

The reality was that i was rushed out of the store very quickly. i was trying to ask questions, but it seemed as though they wanted to get to the next customer as quickly as possible. this has happened on a couple of occasions. They never even suggested i join the club. i had a problem with the first batch and they offered little help. That's when i hopped on here. i got all the help i needed here. its to the point now where i stopped buying from them, except for yeast. maybe i showed up at the wrong times, but that doesn't seem right to me.

I am hoping this is the exception and not the rule. I have been to one LHBS and they were extremely helpful, unfortunately they are 300+ miles away.

I have gotten great help on here too.
I guess I am lucky to have a good club in my town. We don't have a LHBS so we do bulk orders and share the shipping cost.

That's terrible that your LHBS being rude.

Just thought I would share my Good experience.

I've been to two LHBS and they have all been super nice and helpful.
Rebel Brewer in Nashville, TN and Brewmasters Warehouse in Marietta, GA.

the funny thing is that the club and store have 2 locations. i met a guy from the other location on a Phish message board randomly and he couldn't be nicer. his location is an hour away from mine. with a 1 year old its a little far to be disappearing for a couple nights a month. swmbo would not be happy. i know they are a big club and do well in competitions. they even have "friendly" competitions at their meetings. no time for newbs, i guess. i am glad that you all have found your local clubs to be helpful. i am in no means trying to disaude anyone from joining theirs, i am just sharing my experience.

Is this club like a lhbs or just where they hangout, or is it an organized club meet? The monthly meets is where I've found there is always a wide variety of brewers, old and new...as well as old and new members.

I'm sure you'll eventually find some good people in your area. Best of luck to ya!

Is this club like a lhbs or just where they hangout, or is it an organized club meet? The monthly meets is where I've found there is always a wide variety of brewers, old and new...as well as old and new members.

I'm sure you'll eventually find some good people in your area. Best of luck to ya!

organized club

http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/
http://www.keystonehops.org/

i believe their membership is in the hundreds

Wow...maybe there are some smaller ones...thats crazy! I paid $30 for the year to be in mine. Its a decent size club too, and seems to always have new people joining.

I am hoping this is the exception and not the rule. I have been to one LHBS and they were extremely helpful, unfortunately they are 300+ miles away.

Everytime I read posts like this I almost feel guilty for living here in the Portland area. Off the top of my head I can think of at least 5 brew shops that are 35 miles or less from where I live. Most are good, a couple are "meh"!

I have not joined a club yet but I have doing a lot of travelling for work so I did not have the time. Not for long though!!

the funny thing is that the club and store have 2 locations. i met a guy from the other location on a Phish message board randomly and he couldn't be nicer. his location is an hour away from mine. with a 1 year old its a little far to be disappearing for a couple nights a month. swmbo would not be happy. i know they are a big club and do well in competitions. they even have "friendly" competitions at their meetings. no time for newbs, i guess. i am glad that you all have found your local clubs to be helpful. i am in no means trying to disaude anyone from joining theirs, i am just sharing my experience.

I got a good vibe from the doylestown road keystone location the one time I visited. They were very liberal with advice and help even though they knew I was just shopping for a hydrometer.

Did you submit your beers to malt madness? I'm really stoked about getting BJCP feedback, competition is next saturday I think.

I got a good vibe from the doylestown road keystone location the one time I visited. They were very liberal with advice and help even though they knew I was just shopping for a hydrometer.

Did you submit your beers to malt madness? I'm really stoked about getting BJCP feedback, competition is next saturday I think.

i did not submit. my first batch still isn't done. maybe i have only been there at bad times. the store always has a lot of people in it. i guess i shouldn't be badmouthing them in a public forum. there has to be a good reason that many people go there.

Joining a brew club is crucial for feedback and learning from experienced brewers who share your hobby. If you live in a place where there are no homebrew clubs, there is always the BNA ( brewing network army.). It is easy to send in your beer and get great feedback from experienced brewers. With that being said, I encourage all brewers to enter NHA and AHA competitions. Been if you don't meddle, you get terrific feedback from experienced BJCP judges. Before you know it you will get a ribbon back with your score sheets.

[email protected]. on tap: easy virtue blonde, fruity monk belgian wit. primary: American pale ale, American stout, blow your top steam, and heffewitzen

Great bunch of guys at Keystone. Cornies are still $39.50 too.

Back