Newbie needs help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Communistjon

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago I started making mead. I've already made 4 different gallon batches. I racked off my first batch, an apple cyser, the other day and it tasted great and everything was looking fine. Today I was checking on my other batches and noticed that one of my batches has stopped bubbling. I only made it 12 days ago and I have no readings as far as the original gravity since I was just able to purchase a hydrometer today. Is there something wrong with it and if so is it reversible?

Doesn't sound like anything's wrong at all. 3 weeks is an awfully short time to make judgments like that. I wouldn't worry about it. Bubbling slowing down to almost (or actually) nothing after a few weeks doesn't seem the slightest bit abnormal.

Keep good notes.

(Disclaimer: I'm about two months in to this insane new pursuit myself. Accurate notes are everything. You think you'll remember what's in that jar as opposed to this jar, but you won't.)

I don't have a graduated cylinder to take a reading with but there are oranges and lemons still floating around the top. Could it still be done even though the fruit is floating?

I don't have a graduated cylinder to take a reading with but there are oranges and lemons still floating around the top. Could it still be done even though the fruit is floating?

Yes. The fruit may float or sink- that doesn't have anything to do with the amount of fermentables left in the liquid.

It sounds done, or nearly so. I'd rack off of the fruit.

Back