Rack or let it continue!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth0194

Reaction score
Ok being the new kid on the block. I took hydrometer reading this morning (8 days in)
Batch 1 is the kit, honey mead, directions followed.
Batch 2 is a recipe I found a cherry melomel.

Initial readings are as follows.
Batch 1. 1.054. 10/13/23
Batch 2. 1.114. 10/13/23

Both got nutrients on day 5

Today's reading
Batch 1. 0.998.
Batch 2 1.016.

Batch 1. Has very little activity at the airlock, bubbles about every 40-50 seconds

Batch 2. Has bubbles about every 20-25 seconds. My question, should I rack either or leave them for a bit and take another reading in 5-7 days? Thoughts and constructive criticism welcome. Thanks for reading.

I normally follow a system of taking two reading about 6-7 days apart. If the SG is the same (or within 0.001) then I rack. Your 0.998 seems like it should be done, but you can’t tell for certain that it won’t be able to go lower.

If you rack too early into a vessel with an airlock, no biggie. An airtight vessel for an incomplete fermentation could cause problems.

I agree with checking again in another week or so to make sure it is done. This will also allow you some more time for added items to drop to the bottom.

That second batch is likely going to drop more, but you can check it when you check #1.

Latest posts

Back