New way to be lazy, achieved!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfrazier77

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Who likes carrying wort down stairs to a fermentor? Not me. I brew outside and ferment in a conical in my basement. I got tired of carrying 5 gallons at a time into the basement and then lifting and dumping. So when we redid our patio I had the contractor install a port that goes into the basement. It is a kayak waterproof compartment lid. I now can send wort directly into the fermentor with no lifting.

What stage of homebrewing have I now achieved? :)

Attachments

• 20211203_143706.jpg
    20211203_143706.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 120
  • 20211203_143712.jpg
    20211203_143712.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 126
  • 20211203_143720.jpg
    20211203_143720.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 131
  • 20211203_145411.jpg
    20211203_145411.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 132
  • 20211203_145420.jpg
    20211203_145420.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 129
How do you sanitize your hose? I run star San through mine, drain, then cap it. Svs finally push it through the port to outside.
It's essentially a 10' length of high temp silicone tubing. Rinse before and after every use. Brew day: after rinse, I've got a 5gal bucket with a spigot and QD dedicated for rinsing this line which I use to run StarSan through.

This is what I do also, except it is 10 gallon batches, & I pump wort through plate chiller on way down to fermentor. No hole in wall, but cellar window opens & fermentor on wheeled table to wheel close to window.

20ft 1/2 silicon hose, sanitize along w plate cooler before and after each use. The vessel being pumped from is mash tun, cleaned out for post whirlpool hop step.

No way I'm going to carry wort downstairs at my age, & beer comes back up a pint or picture at a time, which I still can handle.
IMG_1315.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1316.JPG
    IMG_1316.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Who likes carrying wort down stairs to a fermentor? Not me. I brew outside and ferment in a conical in my basement. I got tired of carrying 5 gallons at a time into the basement and then lifting and dumping. So when we redid our patio I had the contractor install a port that goes into the basement. It is a kayak waterproof compartment lid. I now can send wort directly into the fermentor with no lifting.

Working smart not hard as they say… just one question, how are you keeping insulation out of your wort off of the tubing? Maybe cut away the fiberglass and use foam in that spot. Just a thought.

@cfrazier77 that's not lazy, that's homebrewer creative. I love it. I recently moved into a house with a spiral staircase to the basement. My brewery is down there but my bar, kegerator and den are upstairs. I'm trying to create an apparatus to hang a sixtel or corny keg on the circular rail of the stairs and roll it up and down. In the mean time I have to resort to using a hand truck to carry them out down stairs and walk the up and around to get them upstairs.

Working smart not hard as they say… just one question, how are you keeping insulation out of your wort off of the tubing? Maybe cut away the fiberglass and use foam in that spot. Just a thought.
The hose is capped when it goes through, that keeps the fiberglass out of the wort. However, putting foam up there would be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion, it is added to the to do list!

Necessity is the mother of invention. After a sholder injury that ment I was unable to lift weight for six months I did the following.
1. Added a pump to my brew system.
2. Purchased small furnature dolly to move Carboys and kegs.
3. Installed a pully in the the room I keg in to lift my Carboys for gravity transfers to kegs.
I still use the pumps and dolly.

dolly.jpgpully.jpg

I've thought about that too, for exactly the same reason.
Nice to see an example, thanks for sharing the idea.

I've thought about that too, for exactly the same reason.
Nice to see an example, thanks for sharing the idea.
To get over the thresholds I just lift the edge with one foot while holding the carboy steady with one hand. I brew in the laundry room and ferment in a storage area or furnace room. (65-68 degrees).

Back