suggestions for new equipment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what to get next. I'm sure I will get a few different suggestions, but I am hoping that will help me make up my mind on what to get next. Right now I brew outdoors (BIAB), but plan on brewing in my basement, looking at a 5 years before I get to that point. So here is my set up:

10 Gal Spike Kettle (EBIAB) set up, 3 ports in front, 2 in back. I use one port to transfer to ferment bucket right now using a side pick up tube. All other ports are plugged for now.
Immersion Chiller (I use a pump to recirculate my water, that I add ice to, to help with cooling)
5.2 cubic freezer turned into a ferm chamber
Fridge in Garage set up to hold 2 Kegs ( have 3 kegs total, using picnic taps)
Cereal Killer mill

I and thinking of either adding a circulating system ( MKII pump with SS head, and another side pick up tube) or going for a Keezer ( freezer, ink bird 308, actual taps, running electric)

I see + on both. Right now I ferment in the basement, so I have to carry the kegs up stairs and out to the garage. So with a keezer that will save me a few steps and having to carry my beer up stairs. With whirl pooling I feel I will get clearer beer, will be able to cool my wort a lot better, so in a sense a better brew, but more stuff to clean.

Thanks in advance to any responses :mug:

I see + on both. Right now I ferment in the basement, so I have to carry the kegs up stairs and out to the garage. So with a keezer that will save me a few steps and having to carry my beer up stairs. With whirl pooling I feel I will get clearer beer, will be able to cool my wort a lot better, so in a sense a better brew, but more stuff to clean.

Yeah, that's a tough one. I'd go keezer honestly. I BIAB and I have a chugger pump from my previous setup. I use it sometimes to whirlpool and sometimes I just stir with a spoon when I dont want the hassle of setup/cleaning the pump. Cooling times are definitely quicker with the pump, but not to the point where I think makes any difference on the beer. I never use the pump to recirc with BIAB, and I've read that there isnt really any benefit to it with BIAB. Oh, and whirlpooling with a pump vs spoon/stirring doesn't change clarity (for me anyways).

So my vote is for a keezer. I can live without the pump...

Back