New to cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bornandraisedlv

Reaction score
So I getting 10 gallons of apple juice from a well known local cider brewery next weekend that does some great dry style ciders.

Just wondering what yeast all of you are using for your dry style ciders? I see a lot about knottingham and some wlp002?

Also seems like a secondary for a couple of months is the way to go before kegging?

Thanks!

Read Yoopers Sticky "Cider for beginners" at the top of this page. It will answer your yeast and many other questions.

I personally use Safale-04. The OG is around 1.5-1.59 and finishes right .995-1.004. Just the right amount of dryness without it becoming winelike.

I agree with reading the cider for beginners thread and the cider yeast selection thread, both are very helpful.

I've tried wine yeasts, cider yeasts, and ale yeasts. I've been happiest with ale yeasts, specifically Nottingham and S-04, though in my experience Nottingham cider is best after a few months of aging. To my taste both make good cider with or without sweetening, probably since they don't dry it out as much as the wine yeasts.

Just like everything else on here, taje with a grain of salt.

My way is best for me, but may not be best for you. My best practice has probably changed yearly as I learn and grow. What question I need to ask myself most: what am I hoping to gain?

Am I looking for a cider that I am aging pr drinking in a few weeks. Sparkling or still? Sweet or dry? Additional fruit or adjuncts added?

Trial & error is Alot of fun with Cider [emoji111]

Cheers & Good luck [emoji2]

Personally I need a yeast that liked warmer temps so I switched from S-04 to S-05. Like was said above what works for me might be wrong for you. Just gotta try a few and see.

I’ve decided to go with wlp775 for this first go around.

One 5 gallon batch to be lightly hopped with Willamette and the other will get some cucumbers and habanero for a few days before kegging.

Thanks again for all of the tips!

Just enough habanero to add a tinge of spice in the the back of the through tans just enough cucumbers to freshen up the cider a bit.

Really just cloning the local cider place I am getting the juice from.

What do you think of cvilles opinion on adding k-meta sours the cider?
Pretty sure you have that backwards.
Sulfite inhibits wild microbes like Acetobacter and Brettanomyces and therefore prevents acetic acid formation. IIRC he found unsulfited wild cider to develop acetic notes after about a year in bottles.

Sulfite is considered flavor neutral at appropriate amounts.
Or do you have the equipment to figure out just how much to add?
I kind of wing it with good results, but I try to avoid oxygen exposure by leaving it sealed in primary (no sulfite needed). And I generally bottle carbonate so I don't need sulfite when bottling either.

I target about 30-40 ppm free sulfite when bottling still cider/wine, staying under ~0.8 ppm molecular SO2 based on pH (I have a pH meter).
I use this calculator
http://fermcalc.com/FermCalcJS.html

If I need to rack for some reason I add 10-50ppm sulfite based on how long I expect to age it or if I'm intentionally aerating.

Cheers

So I getting 10 gallons of apple juice from a well known local cider brewery next weekend that does some great dry style ciders.

Just wondering what yeast all of you are using for your dry style ciders? I see a lot about knottingham and some wlp002?

Also seems like a secondary for a couple of months is the way to go before kegging?

Thanks!

i am the unpopular vote... i don't like Nottingham yeast at all. i always have lots of sulfur and i don't like the flavor it leaves behind.

i am making one right now using Imperal Pub yeast. no off flavors or aroma to report 2 weeks in. also ferments extremely quick and drops extremely clear. not really a dry cider yeast. i read using wine yeast will dry it out a bunch but it also strips lots of the flavor since its fermenting it down to a low FG.

bulk age is not a bad idea, most say an aged cider is best. but i toss that you know what in a keg and let it rock.

i am the unpopular vote... i don't like Nottingham yeast at all. i always have lots of sulfur and i don't like the flavor it leaves behind.

i am making one right now using Imperal Pub yeast. no off flavors or aroma to report 2 weeks in. also ferments extremely quick and drops extremely clear. not really a dry cider yeast. i read using wine yeast will dry it out a bunch but it also strips lots of the flavor since its fermenting it down to a low FG.

bulk age is not a bad idea, most say an aged cider is best. but i toss that you know what in a keg and let it rock.

I tell you, my last one was S-04, and I do like it a lot more than the previous Notty ones I did. I've heard people complain about the "Notty" taste, though I've never noticed it. It must be something some people taste and others don't, though my Notty ciders tasted much better after aging for 6+ months. The S-04 one I did recently tasted great from the moment I kegged it.

I agree on wine yeasts, my favorite ciders I made were with ale yeasts. Too bad, since wine yeast is so much cheaper!

So I reached out to the cider place and they informed me that they started off using wlp002 and now use a wine hybrid not available on the market and suggested I use the wlp002.

They also told me that they do a small sorghum mash with late addition hops to add a little body, bitterness and aroma.

So I already purchased some wlp775 and I might just grab a tube of the 002 and mix them together for each batch. And I will probably give the sorghum mash a go as well as he was pretty specific in his email.

Thanks again for all of the tips

I tell you, my last one was S-04, and I do like it a lot more than the previous Notty ones I did. I've heard people complain about the "Notty" taste, though I've never noticed it. It must be something some people taste and others don't, though my Notty ciders tasted much better after aging for 6+ months. The S-04 one I did recently tasted great from the moment I kegged it.

I agree on wine yeasts, my favorite ciders I made were with ale yeasts. Too bad, since wine yeast is so much cheaper!

I gotta agree with you. Notty was fine for me but I’ve had negative reviews. So I switched to S04.

Last edited:
Read that cider yeast selection thread carefully, don't just look at the summary lists. You'll see that there are wildly-differing opinions about some of the yeasts. (I brewed a batch with T-58 specifically because people said it sucked. It worked just fine for me)

I like white wine yeasts (like Cote des Blancs) and S-33 ale yeast. I have not had good luck with EC-1118 or Premier Cuvee, but those are favorites for some people. I may try them again someday without adding any sugar or yeast nutrient.

Back