NEW StrangeBrew Elsinore Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,
finally completed Control Panel based on SB Elsinore, and done a couple of batch, everything work flawlessly!

link of the build HERE

Complete setup HERE

And a brew day with it HERE

I was working on tuning the pid setting, but during that i verify that for a setpoint of 67°C i overshoot just 0,3 degrees, and from that temperature is around -0,4c and 0.....so really happy with it!
Just to share 4kw elements for 20/22Gallon i've set P=57 I=0 D=0)

This requires no assembly:
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Prototype-Shield-for-Raspberry-Pi-p-1831.html

Few options to buy from, but this requires some assembly:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ras...yping+Breadboard+Shield+Add-on+Board&tbm=shop

I bought one on eBay (but from a US seller)and has been working for over a year with no issues, including changing to a Pi2 (40pin) board, just verify your GPIO.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prototype-E...500735?hash=item418d00987f:g:fHgAAOSwyZ5UmNJH

Thanks! Most of those look pretty do-able. I was also considering just doing a ribbon cable from the Pi to a 25 or 50 pin DSUB connector and then from inside my enclosure run wires from a mating DSUB to my components. That way I could keep the Pi separate, or switch it out for an alternate controller or later version Pi later. Thoughts?

I was also planning on having my enclosure setup such that I could run it manual without the Pi (or any control algorithm) but I'd still have the ability to turn the elements off and on, in case of a glitch or other issue.

:mug:

It just seems there are so many different ways to do it, various parts. In the end what i want to do is make a post similar to my BrewPi one for Elsinore, but im in between houses and new baby so have a lack of time for the next month or two.

Basically "Buy these things, hook them up here, program this, and brew". And cheaply as possible without buying known shoddy parts. Granted the user base for people going electric is a bit smaller than those that are building Ferm chambers, but i think a lot of people weren't quite as afraid of BrewPi after reading my post and gave it a shot after seeing how cheaply it could be done. These are only moderately more complex than a BrewPi setup, but obviously care always needs to be taken when dealing with high voltage stuff.

I think the same thing could be done for Electric brewing if people could more easily know how to build their own Elsinore box instead of dropping 1.5-3k for a EBS BCS box or Kal clone. Seems obvious thats why Elsinore exists in the first place to lower that cost of entry, i just dont think the actual "How to build one" has been given enough thought or documentation unless i am missing something.

My goal is to basically explain how to build a DIY Hosehead, for those that want to save some money.

Your BrewPi thread was invaluable to me being able to actually make one. Now, I've got a dual chamber setup and I'm absolutely loving it. I can't thank you enough for that.

Did you ever end up making one for Elsinore? A DIY Hosehead would help me, and I'm sure many others.

Your BrewPi thread was invaluable to me being able to actually make one. Now, I've got a dual chamber setup and I'm absolutely loving it. I can't thank you enough for that.

Did you ever end up making one for Elsinore? A DIY Hosehead would help me, and I'm sure many others.

No unfortunately not yet, got into a project to make an even cheaper version based on brewpi(wont be called brewpi) thats RPI only, once that projects out maybe ill have some time.

Hi Doug,

i have one small question.
Is there any way, how to add to Auto od Hysterezis mode Cycle Time and Duty Cycle function ?
We are brewing in czech, and we have problem with power driving of heating elements, because we are changing amount of brewed beer in our steps (full amount, 1/3 amount, 3/5 amount of beer) and we must watch and abide max 1°C per minute.
Thank you for your answer and sorry for my english

Loky

is there no longer an edit button? for what ever reason the three units i'm working on don't have edit buttons and i can't edit the brewery name like see others doing. anyone know how i managed to screw this up?

is there no longer an edit button? for what ever reason the three units i'm working on don't have edit buttons and i can't edit the brewery name like see others doing. anyone know how i managed to screw this up?

Just click the brewery name to change it.

I'll try again tonight and maybe post a screenshot. I've tried clicking on it just like you said, but no dice. Of course I will try again, and appreciate the help. Thanks Doug

If you're on a pre February 12th version, you need to double click, post that, single click.

So I noticed that "your brewery" actually disappears on me. I was able to get it on my phone by refreshing and quickly tapping at it the best I could. I was able to change it, which made it show up on the page properly.

So how does one move the individual displays around. I'd like to keep the system temp but move it to the bottom. The videos show an edit button, but I don't see one on web interface. Is it disappearing on me too?

Here's my hosehead clone

It'd still be awesome to get the current monitor sensors integrated with SBE (digital display w/ triggers for over current). A few months ago Doug mentioned editing/refactoring the PH sensor code, but looks too messy at first glance (the board I'm using transfers arduino data across a serial connection rather than just being able to read analog values).

Hey all. Haven't had time to read to entire thread. I am looking for some how to resources for recommended parts list, wiring, and general info to build my own hosehead clone. I'm wanting to build a 2 vessel, single tier, one element, two pump controller. I have an blichmann autosparge so no need to control the fluid levels. Current gfci breaker is 30 amps and 4 wire outlet. I am thinking of getting the raspberry pi 3 with SBE installed from hosehead and then doing the rest myself.

There's definitely one guy on the strangebrew reddit who built out a Strangebrew-based controller for both brewery control and kegerator/fermentation cabinet temp control. He may be able to provide a few details to get you started for PID values for that purpose.

It's actually relatively easy to figure out PID settings on an electric kettle. Since it would seem to operate so much more slowly, a fermentation chamber would seemingly be a little tougher.

Typically I and D values aren't really necessary for home brewing applications because we don't have much lag in our monitoring systems... we heat water, we have a temp probe in that water, you know. I just use a P value and it is more than sufficient!

I use SBE for fermentation control and keg fridge control. Lots of details of my stuff on my website onbrewing.com... ask me whatever you'd like! I don't frequent HBT, but I am subscribed to this thread.

Thanks for the link, maybe I'll grab a small DC Motor from a parts box and see how it acts when hooked up to an SSR in Manual Mode. It might be an interesting experiment.

Wyzazz--did you ever try this out? I'm looking at some 12/24v pumps and thinking about modulating to match sparge/lauter speeds.

Well crap, I literally just finished building a small EBIAB system using an Auberins PID controller. This looks like it would be A LOT more fun. I already have the SSR and a few DS18B20's laying around. I might need to purchase another RPI and do a re-build.

I've recently just attempted to import an XML from BeerSmith (2.3.7) that has a water profile in it. I cannot seem to get it to load properly into Elsinore unless I remove the <water> section from it. Has anyone else had this problem? It's a simple enough solution to remove it from the .xml prior to importing it, but it would be nice if I didn't have to take that extra step.
Thanks in advance!

p.s. this is cross-posted at reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/StrangeBrew/comments/5o4u1z/importing_beersmith_xmls_with_water_profile/

There's always going to be some amount of delay. I think someone either here or on the reddit posted instructions at one point on how you can configure that delay to a shorter increment of time, but doing so tended to increase the load on the Pi - the shorter the delay, the more increase in CPU utilization. For some reason, I want to say a 2-3 second delay was about as good as you could get before bogging down the Pi altogether.

I've been messing with SBE. Everything works great, no problems. The first time I set it up, I attempted to add more than 2 "switches" and software took a dump. I reset it with just 2 "switches" and all is well. Is there a two "switch" limitation? I saw some reddit posts that sort of allude to that, but not very clear.

I have recently been using the mash tun temp sensor to drive a pump to circulate through my HERMS coil, holds the temperature nicely.
Also, the manual setting for the rolling boil is dialed in pretty good.

Are there similar options with CBPi?

I will probably give CBPi a try once I have a little more free time.

I've been messing with SBE. Everything works great, no problems. The first time I set it up, I attempted to add more than 2 "switches" and software took a dump. I reset it with just 2 "switches" and all is well. Is there a two "switch" limitation? I saw some reddit posts that sort of allude to that, but not very clear.

Could you get the logs and provide them please?

I have recently been using the mash tun temp sensor to drive a pump to circulate through my HERMS coil, holds the temperature nicely.
Also, the manual setting for the rolling boil is dialed in pretty good.

Are there similar options with CBPi?

I will probably give CBPi a try once I have a little more free time.

How are you doing that exactly? I want that lol!

How are you doing that exactly? I want that lol!

Pumps must have a SSR wired to the outlet they will be plugged into, I built my panel with a HAND/OFF/AUTO switch for each as well.
Hand position applies 5VDC to the SSR (need a regulated 5VDC power supply).
Off - self explanatory
Auto position - I have this tied to GPIO on the Pi. In Elsinore, the Mash Tun temp sensor is associated to this GPIO (18) for Heat GPIO, then setup the cycle time and PID values.

In use, I keep the HLT (with the HERMS coil) set for 10 deg F above the desired MT temp setpoint. My MT is a 10g cooler, so it cycles on a few times during the mash. Having good luck using it this way the last few batches.

Edit: you have to prime the pump manually before putting it into auto, so after I mash in, I note how off I am on my target temp, prime the pump, flood the HERMS coil, run a little in manual to set the pump discharge valves, then put it in auto.

Boil - I don't think you were asking about this, but for others, Manual mode, cycle time 12-15 sec, at 90-95%, seems to maintain a nice boil.

Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any questions.

Pumps must have a SSR wired to the outlet they will be plugged into, I built my panel with a HAND/OFF/AUTO switch for each as well.
Hand position applies 5VDC to the SSR (need a regulated 5VDC power supply).
Off - self explanatory
Auto position - I have this tied to GPIO on the Pi. In Elsinore, the Mash Tun temp sensor is associated to this GPIO (18) for Heat GPIO, then setup the cycle time and PID values.

In use, I keep the HLT (with the HERMS coil) set for 10 deg F above the desired MT temp setpoint. My MT is a 10g cooler, so it cycles on a few times during the mash. Having good luck using it this way the last few batches.

Edit: you have to prime the pump manually before putting it into auto, so after I mash in, I note how off I am on my target temp, prime the pump, flood the HERMS coil, run a little in manual to set the pump discharge valves, then put it in auto.

Boil - I don't think you were asking about this, but for others, Manual mode, cycle time 12-15 sec, at 90-95%, seems to maintain a nice boil.

Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any questions.

Pictures! :) I'm a bit noobish on what you were mentioning. Without pictures or a diagram I am a bit lost.

Thanks for the boil info I always have to screw with mine, its the number one thing I mess with on brew day. I will try yours.

I downloaded the latest from the GitHub Monday, and found (after pulling half my hair out) that the TCP port in the extras/elsinore.debian is wrong.

ELSINORE_PATH=/root/SB
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DESC="StrangeBrew Elsinore Brewery Controller"
NAME="Elsinore"
DAEMON=$ELSINORE_PATH/launch.sh
PID=/var/run/elsinore.pid
ELSINORE_PORT=8088 <<<
ELSINORE_CONF=$ELSINORE_PATH/elsinore.cfg

hope this helps someone.

Don’t know if anyone is still monitoring this thread, looking for help. I have Hosehead 5 with the latest strangebrew Elsinore. After I load a Beersmith xml file and use it then hit the clear xml button, the steps don’t clear out of the element box. They stay there and if I load another xml file, it just tagges on to the end. How do I fix this? Thanks for any help.....

I am in the process to install Strangebrew and this command don't work; apt-get install git-core oracle-java7-jdk lshw sudo nano

Someone have the correct command?

Thank in advance.

Back