NEW StrangeBrew Elsinore Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
You can use whatever you prefer. XLR and RJ11 connectors are popular.

Thanks - looks like RJ11's are easy enough. Assuming most people run those into a patch panel, then wire that to a relay and then into the RPi?

I've convinced myself to build something similar to the Hosehead Controller, but a 110v version for a 2.5 gallon recirculating eBIAB system. So I'm sort of piecing together how that device was built and the modifications I need to make.

Thanks - looks like RJ11's are easy enough. Assuming most people run those into a patch panel, then wire that to a relay and then into the RPi?

I've convinced myself to build something similar to the Hosehead Controller, but a 110v version for a 2.5 gallon recirculating eBIAB system. So I'm sort of piecing together how that device was built and the modifications I need to make.

RJ11's are only cheaper if you already have a crimper already.
XLR's are better/cheaper if you have a soldering iron.

XLRs are also a little beefier if you're looking long term. Which ever you go with, panel mount jacks are what you want for interfacing with your box. Lastly, fund a buddy with the tools. Most will do the work for you for free in exchange for beer. ;)

XLRs are also a little beefier if you're looking long term. Which ever you go with, panel mount jacks are what you want for interfacing with your box. Lastly, fund a buddy with the tools. Most will do the work for you for free in exchange for beer. ;)

This is a good rule in general, i had a buddy weld on 10 1/2" couplers for me, probably saved me well over $400 if i had paid someone to do it or ~200 and a lot of heartache chasing leaks if i went weldless.

Be forewarned. crimping rj11s can be a hassle depending on where you buy the probes and what size wire they have in them. I have 2 that I ended up having to cut a phone cord in half and splice the wires together (which would negate the need for a crimper or a soldering iron (which you really should have if you're doing any kind of arduino projects)) with heat shrink.

Yes, I used a sub parenthesis there…

Be forewarned. crimping rj11s can be a hassle depending on where you buy the probes and what size wire they have in them. I have 2 that I ended up having to cut a phone cord in half and splice the wires together (which would negate the need for a crimper or a soldering iron (which you really should have if you're doing any kind of arduino projects)) with heat shrink.

Yes, I used a sub parenthesis there…

I found this with my probes too, I know jangeeva managed to crimp his in, but I have no idea how...

I found this with my probes too, I know jangeeva managed to crimp his in, but I have no idea how...

I didn't crimp in the temp probe wires directly into the plugs, actually. I made my probes without a crimping tool. I bought some very cheap 3ft ethernet cords and cut them into 2... and soldered each half up with the temp probe wires. I actually own a crimping tool now (didn't at the time), and yes, the temp probe wires are too thick to be crimped directly into the plugs.

StrangeBrew Elsinore v2.0 is released.

From the command line just run

git fetch
git pull

And you'll be golden.

great news!

Also my test and setup go on

50485v.jpg

Now that more people are using Elsinore and able to find issue, I've just spent the evening updating and fixing issues

• OWFS can now be configured from the Web UI.
  • the "Countdown?" box is now disabled until I find the time to work on it.
  • Fix a potential error when setting up a pH Sensor without a name
  • The cutoff temperature now has a toggle box rather than relying on a number.
  • Temperature probes can now be deleted from the Web Interface, and the editing of temperature probes is now smoother.

Well, last night was filled with good and bad experiences:

The good? I updated my Pi to Elsinore 2.0 and poked around a bit - so far, I really like what I'm seeing, but I've only barely scratched the surface for now.

The bad? In my efforts to get my final assembly completed on my controller, I goofed up and wired up my GPIO pins upside-down. Pretty sure I shorted +5.5v to at least one GPIO, maybe +3.3v as well, and basically made a mess of things. After pulling the Pi out to test, I'm not getting any voltage readings off any of the pins I want to use. So, waiting on a replacement for that dumb $40 mistake.

But I'm getting close!

OWFS is now fixed in Elsinore, the documentation was incorrect.

Updating from the Web UI now works, you'll need to run

Code:
git fetch
git pull

One last time

Doug great work on the new version... love it.

The only issue i am having is when i try to add in a switch. once i add it it will not allow me to shutdown the app and i get the following dump to the console.
I then need to kill -9 the app.

Code:
INFO: CONFIG READ COMPLETED***********
Jan 27, 2016 7:41:36 AM com.sb.elsinore.BrewServer <init>
INFO: Launching on port 8080
Jan 27, 2016 7:41:36 AM com.sb.elsinore.BrewServer <init>
INFO: Enabled logging at level:WARNING
Looking for: brcm_bcm2709
No definitions file found, assuming direct mapping
Jan 27, 2016 7:42:01 AM com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl getElementsByXpath
WARNING: Bad XPATH: /elsinore/switches/12v_HLT_Pump
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: A location step was expected following the '/' or '//' token.
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.error(XPathParser.java:612)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.RelativeLocationPath(XPathParser.java:1641)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.LocationPath(XPathParser.java:1599)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.PathExpr(XPathParser.java:1319)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.UnionExpr(XPathParser.java:1238)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.UnaryExpr(XPathParser.java:1144)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.MultiplicativeExpr(XPathParser.java:1065)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.AdditiveExpr(XPathParser.java:1007)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.RelationalExpr(XPathParser.java:932)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.EqualityExpr(XPathParser.java:872)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.AndExpr(XPathParser.java:836)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.OrExpr(XPathParser.java:809)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.Expr(XPathParser.java:792)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.initXPath(XPathParser.java:131)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.XPath.<init>(XPath.java:180)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.XPath.<init>(XPath.java:268)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.jaxp.XPathImpl.compile(XPathImpl.java:392)
	at com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl.getElementsByXpath(LaunchControl.java:2693)
	at com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl.getFirstElementByXpath(LaunchControl.java:2719)
	at com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl.saveSettings(LaunchControl.java:1796)
	at com.sb.elsinore.UrlEndpoints.addSwitch(UrlEndpoints.java:825)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:483)
	at com.sb.elsinore.BrewServer.serve(BrewServer.java:263)
	at com.sb.elsinore.NanoHTTPD$HTTPSession.execute(NanoHTTPD.java:920)
	at com.sb.elsinore.NanoHTTPD$1$1.run(NanoHTTPD.java:192)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)
--------------- linked to ------------------
javax.xml.xpath.XPathExpressionException: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: A location step was expected following the '/' or '//' token.
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.jaxp.XPathImpl.compile(XPathImpl.java:400)
	at com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl.getFirstElementByXpath(LaunchControl.java:2719)
	at com.sb.elsinore.UrlEndpoints.addSwitch(UrlEndpoints.java:825)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
Caused by: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: A location step was expected following the '/' or '//' token.
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.error(XPathParser.java:612)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.RelativeLocationPath(XPathParser.java:1641)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.LocationPath(XPathParser.java:1599)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.PathExpr(XPathParser.java:1319)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.UnionExpr(XPathParser.java:1238)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.UnaryExpr(XPathParser.java:1144)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.MultiplicativeExpr(XPathParser.java:1065)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.AdditiveExpr(XPathParser.java:1007)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.RelationalExpr(XPathParser.java:932)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.EqualityExpr(XPathParser.java:872)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.AndExpr(XPathParser.java:836)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.OrExpr(XPathParser.java:809)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.Expr(XPathParser.java:792)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xpath.internal.compiler.XPathParser.initXPath(XPathParser.java:131)
	... 12 more
Jan 27, 2016 7:42:01 AM com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl saveEverything
WARNING: Shutting down. Saving configuration
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: A location step was expected following the '/' or '//' token.
	at com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl.saveEverything(LaunchControl.java:3305)
	at com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl$1.run(LaunchControl.java:382)
javax.xml.xpath.XPathExpressionException: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: A location step was expected following the '/' or '//' token.
	at com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl$1.run(LaunchControl.java:382)
Caused by: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: A location step was expected following the '/' or '//' token.
	... 5 more
	at com.sb.elsinore.UrlEndpoints.shutdownSystem(UrlEndpoints.java:2378)
	at com.sb.elsinore.UrlEndpoints.shutdownSystem(UrlEndpoints.java:2378)
	... 13 more

The only issue i am having is when i try to add in a switch. once i add it it will not allow me to shutdown the app and i get the following dump to the console.

Can you provide more information about how you're setting up your switch please? I.e. the name and the GPIO

Can you provide more information about how you're setting up your switch please? I.e. the name and the GPIO

its a 12v dc pump hooked up to a relay GPIO2.

Thanks

Now that more people are using Elsinore and able to find issue, I've just spent the evening updating and fixing issues

• OWFS can now be configured from the Web UI.

• the "Countdown?" box is now disabled until I find the time to work on it.

• Fix a potential error when setting up a pH Sensor without a name
  • The cutoff temperature now has a toggle box rather than relying on a number.
  • Temperature probes can now be deleted from the Web Interface, and the editing of temperature probes is now smoother.

Hey Doug,

Can you tell me if there are specific pH sensors that work with Elsinore? I didn't see reference to supported sensors in the Readme.

Hey Doug,

Can you tell me if there are specific pH sensors that work with Elsinore? I didn't see reference to supported sensors in the Readme.

This is the official Documentation at this point: http://dougedey.github.io/SB_Elsinore_Server/

I'm going to work on the Reddit Wiki over the next week or so, but the link above explains the pH Sensor that is supported (SEN0161), because it's the only one that I've been provided.

aduXP

I'm wondering if I can take my existing RIMS setup that uses RTD's, Honeywell furnace valves and 2 Auber temperature controllers and implement Strangebrew using a Raspberry Pi and any other necessary equipment?

I realize there is probably a wealth of information in this thread and I'm not looking for shortcuts, just hoping to not read through the majority of these setup questions that seem to pertain to heating element vs. propane.

Thanks in advance...

Yeah, dump the rtds for Dallas probes, and the auber controllers are basically useless also since they won't work with the Dallas probes

Not sure you could make the RTD's work with a Pi - that said, a 5 pack of the onewire temperature probes that will work with a Pi will run you less than a single RTD.

I've searched the Reddit threads as well as the Github page (and website), and I couldn't find many mentions or instructions of controlling SBE via smartphone or tablet.

Does anyone have any tips for setting that up? At first I thought it was as simple as making sure my RPi was connected to the same network as my phone, but even after retrieving my IP address for the RPi, I can't connect to SBE using "rpi-ip-address:8080/controller".

Does this require more steps? I found some articles online about SSH and getting command line control of the RPi (which worked), but I feel like that's overkill for what I'm looking to do.

Thanks!

I've searched the Reddit threads as well as the Github page (and website), and I couldn't find many mentions or instructions of controlling SBE via smartphone or tablet.

Does anyone have any tips for setting that up? At first I thought it was as simple as making sure my RPi was connected to the same network as my phone, but even after retrieving my IP address for the RPi, I can't connect to SBE using "rpi-ip-address:8080/controller".

Does this require more steps? I found some articles online about SSH and getting command line control of the RPi (which worked), but I feel like that's overkill for what I'm looking to do.

Thanks!

If you have launched application on the RPi and your phone is on the same network, then that should work. I am able to access mine from IPhone, IPad, surface tablet and laptops. Might want to download putty and see if you can connect to the RPi via ssh. Be sure to enable ssh on the RPi.

So long as Elsinore is running, connecting to that address you listed is all that should be necessary. When you're having trouble doing so, are you able to hit that same address from a laptop or desktop on the same network?

Just make sure of the following:
1) The Pi itself is online and connected to the network, whether hardwired or by wifi (sounds like you already have that covered, if you've got an IP address)
2) Elsinore is started on the Pi, which can be handled in a few ways:
- Set up Elsinore as a service (there are guides on the reddit for doing so)
- add "sudo [elsinore path]\launch.sh" to your rc.local file (I used this before I got Elsinore working as a service - not quite as elegant, but it works)
- ssh into the Pi and kick off sudo launch.sh manually

If you have launched application on the RPi and your phone is on the same network, then that should work. I am able to access mine from IPhone, IPad, surface tablet and laptops. Might want to download putty and see if you can connect to the RPi via ssh. Be sure to enable ssh on the RPi.

Hmm, ok. That's what I thought but I wanted to be sure. My steps in testing last night were:

1. Enable SSH on the RPi (was already enabled in the advance settings)
2. Connect RPi to wifi using adapter (this worked, I was able to browse the web without ethernet)
3. ifconfig to determine RPi IP address
4. Run SBE server (tested to make sure it was running in Chromium
5. Connect iPhone to SBE using ip address

Might have to do some troubleshooting tonight when I get home.

So long as Elsinore is running, connecting to that address you listed is all that should be necessary. When you're having trouble doing so, are you able to hit that same address from a laptop or desktop on the same network?

No I wasn't able to hit that address on my Mac, also connected to the wifi network. I recall trying at one point, but now I'm not sure if I tried after all the steps were complete. I'll have to test that again tonight.

Not sure what you meant about running SBE as a service. I was running it in Chromium with my HDMI monitor, but I'll need to do a bit more research on that.

There are scripts available in Elsinore (make sure to read up on them and fully understand what you're doing before you try using them) that can convert Elsinore from a user-initiated program into something a system initiated one - something most OS's call Services. Once Elsinore is successfully configured as a service, it automatically starts up when the Pi boots up (also, unless you change the provided service script, it runs on port 8088 instead of 8080).

There are scripts available in Elsinore (make sure to read up on them and fully understand what you're doing before you try using them) that can convert Elsinore from a user-initiated program into something a system initiated one - something most OS's call Services. Once Elsinore is successfully configured as a service, it automatically starts up when the Pi boots up (also, unless you change the provided service script, it runs on port 8088 instead of 8080).

Right, that makes sense. Is running SBE as a service required to gain access from a remote device? I suppose its a necessary step if you plan on running a controller headless.

Definitely not required to gain access from a remote device. A buddy of mine still SSH's into his panel at the start of every session to launch Elsinore, and he has no trouble accessing the device from his laptop or from a tablet.

One thing to check (though I think your Chromium test would've born this out): are you using sudo when you're calling launch.sh? You really need to do that to make sure Elsinore is running with the proper system credentials, otherwise it may not interact well with everything in the system - web interfaces possibly included.

Back