NEW StrangeBrew Elsinore Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More than likely here he has his router security too high. probably using the guest feature of the network. Look around in the router. newer router have the ability to block services to other wifi clients to protect the internal network. in my guest network settings there is a tick box that says something to the effect of "allow clients to see each other and access the wired network."

Definitely not required to gain access from a remote device. A buddy of mine still SSH's into his panel at the start of every session to launch Elsinore, and he has no trouble accessing the device from his laptop or from a tablet.

One thing to check (though I think your Chromium test would've born this out): are you using sudo when you're calling launch.sh? You really need to do that to make sure Elsinore is running with the proper system credentials, otherwise it may not interact well with everything in the system - web interfaces possibly included.

I'm not using sudo, I'll double check that. Not sure what the issue is at this point I've never had any issues connecting other devices to the wifi router. I'll follow up shortly with more tests.

The question isn't whether or not you can connect to the router, its whether or not the connected devices can actually share services across the network. see you can use the wifi at McDonald's all you want, but you can't see all the other people who are using the same wifi. it could be as simple as changing the upnp settings or maybe you just haven't rebooted your router in a year and it's got a little bit rot going on.

I did try to search this but did not find an answer.

when I go to load the web page I get this.

Feb 14, 2016 12:23:33 AM com.sb.elsinore.BrewServer serve
WARNING: Failed to find URI: /controlle

I updated and upgraded but could not get a fresh clone as im unsure how to uninstall.

also this is what the web page says.
{"controller":"Get the main controller page","timers":"Get the current timer status","updateday":"Update the brewday information","updatepid":"Update the PID Settings","addvolpoint":"Add a new volume point","getstatus":"Get the current status as a JSON object","mashprofile":"Set a mash profile for the output","addswitch":"Add a new switch","toggleaux":"toggle an aux output","updateswitch":"Change the switch status off\/on","addtimer":"Add a new timer","editdevice":"Edit the settings on a device"}

here is what I see with out controller in the ip.
http://192.168.1.148:8080/

brew.png

Interesting... My SBE doesn't look like that. I'm assuming mine is out of date. Came with my Hosehead I bought a few weeks ago. Might be related to the trouble I've been having setting up my rig.

View attachment 337479

Actually yours is newer, his is out of date.

What problems are you having?

Doug, i updated to the latest as of yesterday and ran it on my Brew today and everything ran great. You have no idea how much i appreciate that the update didnt blow away all my settings, it was nice having it load up and all my pumps and HLT/MLT/BK were still set to the proper GPIO's and named right.

Also kudos on finally letting us adjust values without having to turn it off and back on, that was a huge PITA in the previous version. I'd set it to 60%Duty 2 Sec cycle, not like how the boil was going and have to turn it off...then go back to Manual and set it to 70F etc...now i can just set it to 70F directly it saves a ton of time ;) Also the PID algorithm seems to function well, i was able to hold at 151.8 when i had it at 152F for my 19Gal HLT.

Are there any plans to allow us to skin the UI? Through CSS or some other means? While the software runs great the UI presentation leaves a lot to be desired.

Actually yours is newer, his is out of date.

What problems are you having?

I'm not seeing any way to add new timers and pumps. I don't see any buttons that have been referenced in this thread.

Admittedly, I haven't poked around a lot, I just noticed the screenshot discrepancies as I've seen the orange digital numbers in previous screenshots as well.

I'm not seeing any way to add new timers and pumps. I don't see any buttons that have been referenced in this thread.

Admittedly, I haven't poked around a lot, I just noticed the screenshot discrepancies as I've seen the orange digital numbers in previous screenshots as well.

Click on the word Switches and the word Timers to add new values. Its a button it just doesnt look like one.

Also - I think you need to be on a laptop browser to add controls. I read somewhere (here or on the Reddit?) that the mobile site is read-only - it'll control anything you have configured, but you can't set up new configurations, I think.

Also - I think you need to be on a laptop browser to add controls. I read somewhere (here or on the Reddit?) that the mobile site is read-only - it'll control anything you have configured, but you can't set up new configurations, I think.

Not anymore, this was changed to Single click action by a user

Interesting... My SBE doesn't look like that. I'm assuming mine is out of date. Came with my Hosehead I bought a few weeks ago. Might be related to the trouble I've been having setting up my rig.

View attachment 337479

It doesn't look like you're running on an Elsinore installation that's aware of git (there should be a number on the bottom).

I would recommend you create a new clone:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/DougEdey/SB_Elsinore_Server.git ~/SB_Elsinore_server

(or wherever you want to place it), then copy over your existing elsinore.cfg file.

Are there any plans to allow us to skin the UI? Through CSS or some other means? While the software runs great the UI presentation leaves a lot to be desired.

If you know CSS you should be able to work that out fairly easily.

It doesn't look like you're running on an Elsinore installation that's aware of git (there should be a number on the bottom).

I would recommend you create a new clone:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/DougEdey/SB_Elsinore_Server.git ~/SB_Elsinore_server

(or wherever you want to place it), then copy over your existing elsinore.cfg file.

Interesting. I'll try that tonight. I'm pretty sure I created a new clone last week after I saw the screenshot discrepancies but I'll take a look tonight. Thanks

I got the remote access working, not sure how it was so difficult before - its pretty simple.

Can't get SBE to autostart as a service however, using these instructions: https://www.reddit.com/r/StrangeBrew/wiki/service

I've also used the instructions (slightly different) from the Github page:
sudo cp extras/elsinore.ubuntu /etc/init.d/elsinore
sudo update-rc.d elsinore defaults

I tried both sets from inside the SBE directory, and I'm pretty sure I successfully updated the script file "ELSINORE_PATH" content. When I run the set of instructions from Reddit nothing happens, the terminal doesn't give me any outputs. When I run the 2nd set (from Github), I get a long repeated message saying:

insserv: Script elsinore is broken: incomplete LSB comment.
insserv: missing 'Required-Start:' entry: please add even if empty.
insserv: missing 'Required-Stop:' entry: please add even if empty.

That repeats about a dozen times.

I think you still need to do a chmod 755 on the elsinore file (or am I mixing that up with something else ?) and did you comment out the beaglebone lines from the elsinore file? (Assuming, of course, you're running on a Pi and not a Beaglebone)

I think you still need to do a chmod 755 on the elsinore file (or am I mixing that up with something else ?) and did you comment out the beaglebone lines from the elsinore file? (Assuming, of course, you're running on a Pi and not a Beaglebone)

The beaglebone lines were commented out already, I believe. I didn't touch them (I'll double check).

Strangely, I just rebooted my RPi and somehow I can access SBE from my phone and my other computer. I expected the RPi to at least open the terminal or something but it seems its working now, despite the errors I was seeing before.

I'm still very much learning how this all works!

The beaglebone lines were commented out already, I believe. I didn't touch them (I'll double check).

Strangely, I just rebooted my RPi and somehow I can access SBE from my phone and my other computer. I expected the RPi to at least open the terminal or something but it seems its working now, despite the errors I was seeing before.

I'm still very much learning how this all works!

By setting it up as a service it now runs in the background when the Pi starts up.

This is how I have mine set up and very rarely do i need to SSH into the Pi or connect the Pi to a monitor.

It's very cool, a little bit of a delay on the timers counting but all in all it's very smooth.

Unrelated. The system I'm building is mobile and I'd love to bring it to a friends house to brew. Any idea how I can configure the RPi to connect to another wifi without needing a monitor?

Unless your friend has an unsecured Wifi connection, I think the only way you could connect the RPi to their network without a monitor is to hardwire it, which kind of gets away from the whole wifi idea.

One other approach that a buddy of mine uses: ethernet over power. You can get the adapters on Amazon - and just hook one up inside your enclosure and patch it to the ethernet jack on your rpi, then another adapter in your house (or your buddy's when you travel) patched directly to the broadband router. The adapters leverage the power lines in your house to transmit network signals - not the fastest thing in the world, but fast enough for Elsinore's purposes - and it definitely gets you away from the requirement to shell into the system and input a Wifi password for any new network you hitch up to.

It's very cool, a little bit of a delay on the timers counting but all in all it's very smooth.

Unrelated. The system I'm building is mobile and I'd love to bring it to a friends house to brew. Any idea how I can configure the RPi to connect to another wifi without needing a monitor?

Get his wifi details before you go and add it to your system before shutting down.

Get his wifi details before you go and add it to your system before shutting down.

I figured that would be the route I have to go. I know this is completely off-topic for the thread, but I'm assuming that requires multiple networks be set up in the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file? I'm also assuming the RPi can automatically connect to the available wifi once it boots up?

I figured that would be the route I have to go. I know this is completely off-topic for the thread, but I'm assuming that requires multiple networks be set up in the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file? I'm also assuming the RPi can automatically connect to the available wifi once it boots up?

It should* do.

* For any given value of should with Linux and WiFi I generally find it's easier to flip a coin and hope for the best

So I pulled the trigger this morning on my purchase of a hosehead controller! I am pretty excited for when it arrives. Still doing a lot of the build out for the rest of the equipment, but wanted to get that purchased right away. Everything I have seen tells me this is going to be really cool, and change the way I do my brewing.

How many others have bothered with the pressure sensor/volume measurement? Do you use it Doug?

I was really excited about incorporating this for the Hot liquor tank and wondered if it's possible to use it with triggers? For instance input desired volume 'x' then press start/pump etc. pump turns on until volume has dropped by x amount. This would be frikken awesome!

What kind of a probe/sensor would you use for that? It definitely sounds like a promising idea!

So far as I know it's already integrated. See this link http://dougedey.github.io/2014/12/20/Volume_Setup/

Based on research I've done on the brewtroller which also uses the same sensor it appears to be very accurate and it sounds like ppl are using it for automated volume transfers as per my previous post. Just wondering if something similar is possible with strangebrew elsinore using triggers?

So far as I know it's already integrated. See this link http://dougedey.github.io/2014/12/20/Volume_Setup/

Based on research I've done on the brewtroller which also uses the same sensor it appears to be very accurate and it sounds like ppl are using it for automated volume transfers as per my previous post. Just wondering if something similar is possible with strangebrew elsinore using triggers?

Theoretically you can, but the new UI doesn't have volume support in it (yet)

Theoretically you can, but the new UI doesn't have volume support in it (yet)

Hey Doug, has there been much interest in this area? Do you yourself use it (or have used it) and what was your experience like?

Was the UI update a complete rewrite (including background processes/functions)? Or is it just a case of updating the UI to work with the existing functions?

This is true, i suck at CSS but i may be able to make something happen :)

My CSS skills are probably a bit deprecated at this point, but if anyone has taken a crack at styling the UI a bit more, I'd be interested in seeing the stylesheet.

Overall its a clean look and doesn't bother me much, but a sleek UI would go a long way on this product.

I actually really like the updated UI... The one thing I miss, compared to the old (and maybe I just haven't found it yet?) is the capability to color-code each of my controls. After playing around in the old GUI, I went out of my way to color code my element plugs and the associated temperature probes - all HLT stuff is yellow, Brew Kettle is blue, etc... I used colored electrical tape and colored RJ-45 stress relief booties on my temp probes to get the effect, and then updated Elsinore to 2.0, and now for the life of me I can't figure out how to make my HLT control label Yellow again. Not a major thing, but would be nice to have. (It would probably also spoil the look Doug's going for here, and I get that too!)

One thing I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out so far (I've only really used the system for one brew so far) is Triggers... I get the concept, but not the implementation. Say I want to set a trigger up on my boil kettle, but focused on Duty Cycles, and not on Set Points. Is that possible? I want to tell it to run 100% until it hits about 208F, then scale back to an 80% Duty Cycle.

Or to do something a little more complex: I'm running a HERMS system. So, say I run my HLT to my desired Mash Temp. I mash in, then want to set a Trigger to do the following:
- Wait 10 minutes
- Start wort pump
- Wait 35 minutes
- Increase HLT set point to 168 (I typically mash for 45 minutes - the 10 minute mash+35 minutes recirculation)
- Wait 15 minutes
- Maybe sound an audible alarm? (Not sure if Elsinore can do this, or if I'd need to install one of those Buzzer/LED jobs)

I put up a question about this on the Reddit, but haven't gotten any responses - I'm a newbie to Reddit, so there's every chance I posted it in a way that's not visible or somesuch... Apologies if you have already seen this there and I'm just spamming at this point!

One thing I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out so far (I've only really used the system for one brew so far) is Triggers... I get the concept, but not the implementation. Say I want to set a trigger up on my boil kettle, but focused on Duty Cycles, and not on Set Points. Is that possible? I want to tell it to run 100% until it hits about 208F, then scale back to an 80% Duty Cycle.

Funny, I read the entire thread hoping I might answer this same question. Guess I should have worked backwards. This functionality is how I understand Auber's new EZBoil to operate in boil mode and what I would like to mimic. But with the EZBoil you would need to adjust several parameters on the fly to step mash, whereas you could define that in advance in SBE. If I followed correctly, SBE currently only allows PID mode (auto) for a temperature trigger. To mimic the EZBoil you would need to be able to select manual and then set a duty cycle. I don't think you can do that currently in SBE. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Just getting started making a system from scratch based on all the info I've gleaned from this thread, and all of the other electric brewing resources I've scoured over the past year or so. I'm VERY excited to get my Pi wired up to some relays.

Many, many, many thanks to Doug for making my electric brewing dream a much closer reality than spending multiple thousands of dollars on a pre-made setup.

Finally got "my" Pi setup reading and outputting, just need to figure out my connections to the Pi now. Anyone have any advice on breakout boards or connectors? I saw cank's post with his boards, but I was hoping for something a little less solder intensive...

Cheers!

uc

Back