New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saisonal Seasonal -- a dubbel brewed with Saison yeast, and infused with spice tea containing cinnamon, coriander and orange peel.
Saisonal Seasonal (White Pearl Ale).jpg

Just tapped this one. Altbier. Malty, clean, a little bitter. A nice change up from the hop bombs. Look at that head. Its the best thing about the 23 degree day.
IMG_0152.jpg

And the lacing just stays around, all the way to the bottom.
IMG_0148.jpg

I need to get started on rebrewing this one.

Just tapped this one. Altbier. Malty, clean, a little bitter. A nice change up from the hop bombs. Look at that head. Its the best thing about the 23 degree day.
IMG_0152.jpg

And the lacing just stays around, all the way to the bottom.
IMG_0148.jpg

I need to get started on rebrewing this one.

No pictures came through for me.

Any chance on getting the recipe? I'm always looking for altbier recipes.

Sure thing-Here is what I used this time----4 lbs. light Munich malt - 3 lbs. Dark Munich malt - 4 lbs. Pilsner malt - 0.5 lbs. Caramunich II - 1 oz. German Perle (60 min) - 1 oz German Perle (FO) - 1 oz Hersbrucker (at pitch). I no chill. This time I used S-04 cause my jar of WT1007 looked funky. Still came out good.

Pumpkin spice latte inspired by my wife's pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving.
Pumpkin puree
Graham crackers
Bourbon vanilla extract
Brown sugar
Honey
Cold brew concentrate
2 whole cloves
Nutmeg
Ginger
Allspice
No cinnamon!
20201209_231011.jpg

Raspberry Hibiscus Wheat, kegged mid-May, still (blessedly) full of character...

View attachment 708951
Having to build a new keezer at the end of summer threw everything for a loop brewing-wise but thankfully what I had kegged in advance had good legs :)

Cheers!
That looks great! Mind if I ask how you added the Hibiscus, since I'm brewing one on monday ;)

Sure! On the first 10 gallon batch I steeped 4 ounces of dried flowers in a bit over 2 cups of water - bring to a boil, cover, turn off the heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Then I poured the "tea" through a strainer into the pot of thawing frozen raspberries and lidded that pot which helped speed up the thawing. Then I ran the thawed mixture through a food processor with a plastic blade (did not want to chop up the seeds), poured the puree into a pair of carboys and racked the base wheat beer on top. That kicked off a modest fermentation so I gave it a handful of days to finish before crashing and kegging.

fwiw, I use 9 pounds of berries in 10 gallon batches. The second time I brewed this I upped the hibiscus to 6 ounces. I think that's what I'll do the third batch next Spring...

Cheers!

Cool! I've done a similar process for the raspberries, getting those couple extra points. For the hibiscus addition on my Honey Hibiscus Saison on monday, i'm thinking of adding 3.5 oz at flameout (11 gal batch) and then using 4 cups of hibiscus tea for my gelatin addition during the cold crash.

My 10th NEIPA. All Citra, base malt is 2 row, than your typical adjuncts. 7.1% ABV, 30 IBU.

This came out great. A lot of improvement vs. the last one. This one is a pleasure to drink.

Nothing really bad to say about it...oddly...haha. I would maybe back down a bit of the caramel malt, I think its a little too dark for my liking...but were just splitting hairs now...

NEIPA10_2 (2).jpg

First shot at a Roggenbier. Turned out ok! 5.9% ABV, 20 IBU.

Never had a Roggenbier before, but I love Rye, and Pumpernickel bread is my jam, so I wanted to try it out!

57% Rye Malt, Maris Otter, Munich, Caramunich, and a touch of Carafa 2 for color. Tettnang and Golding hops. Hefe yeast.

Spicy, with some caramel, and a touch of dark fruit. Slight hop bitterness. Looks great, it has some ruby highlights in good lighting. A slight haze, but pretty clear. Medium body, slightly creamy.

I wish the yeast was a bit more expressive. That was on me most likely. I need to better manage ferm temp, and really drive those esters out of the yeast.

Not bad for a first run!

Roggenbier1.JPG

How did you enjoy the opal malts? Are they providing the profile they claim?

I've used 44 a few times now, but always in pretty small quantities. This is the first time I've used it in a pale beer and I definitely get a bit of a cookie dough thing from it, which I could see being called "reminiscent of almond roca." In this beer, it enhances the maltiness (as does the Aromatic).

I'm planning to do a barleywine with a relatively high percentage (25%+) of Opal 44 at some point.

I've used 44 a few times now, but always in pretty small quantities. This is the first time I've used it in a pale beer and I definitely get a bit of a cookie dough thing from it, which I could see being called "reminiscent of almond roca." In this beer, it enhances the maltiness (as does the Aromatic).

I'm planning to do a barleywine with a relatively high percentage (25%+) of Opal 44 at some point.
Thanks for the info. Def sounded like a nice addition to a brown ale

Coffee infused Russian Imperial Stout I call "Coffee Ruskie Business." Turned out at 13.5%. Nice chocolatey notes with coffee pronounced and a boozy finish. I am digging it, but the mouthfeel is not what I was shooting for on this one. I've brewed this several times, but this is the first coffee infused edition. Flavor profiles are on point, but again just a bit thinner than I'd hoped.
131539656_201733314947358_1786981521613790807_n.jpg

Coffee infused Russian Imperial Stout I call "Coffee Ruskie Business." Turned out at 13.5%. Nice chocolatey notes with coffee pronounced and a boozy finish. I am digging it, but the mouthfeel is not what I was shooting for on this one. I've brewed this several times, but this is the first coffee infused edition. Flavor profiles are on point, but again just a bit thinner than I'd hoped. View attachment 711104

I can hardly imagine a 13.5% brew to be thinner than desirable. I usually find beers with 7% or more to be too thick and alcoholic.
Why not just have hot chocolate with rum instead? :D

A tale of two home brewed stouts. On the left, a dry Irish 4.7% abv. On the right, the previous posted 13.5% Coffee infused RIS. Merry Christmas to me. And Merry Christmas to y'all as well!

Attachments

• 20201225_153748.jpg
    20201225_153748.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 13
Back