New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
California Common
20200605_180603.jpg

My “house” pale ale. Still working on the recipe.

I usually use good ol Cascade hops, but with this one I wanted to use Centennial. I had to do a call-in order at the LHBS due to Covid and they gave me Cryo Centennial. After some quick research, I decided to use a smaller percentage than normal. I followed my normal hop schedule at the reduced amounts and everything went great except the sample taste had zero hop flavor. I don’t usually dry hop my pale ales, but I decided to this time with the remaining cryo hops I had.

This beer has ended up with an off flavor that is reminiscent of my very early brews. Oh well, at least it was a small batch. I think I’ll go back to Cascade on my next batch,

D7BBB57C-06B0-4BF8-98A8-1797E396285A.jpeg

This was the last pour of my Maibock before the keg kicked (which is why it's a little hazy). This beer was probably one of my favorites I've brewed to date. It clocked in at just under 7% ABV and was super drinkable. The lager yeast paired really well with the slight maltiness.

f1BjlcC.jpg

First "Post a Picture of Your Pint." This an American Pale Ale with Horizon for bittering and Cascade/Centennial for flavor & aroma. It's the first pour from my third batch ever, and it's the first that actually tasted pretty darn good! This is what I imagined my homebrew tasting like! We'll see how the rest of the bottles turn out, but I may up the Cascade & Centennial the next time I brew it.

IMG_20200616_205448.jpg

My newest, Double IPA with Simcoe, Centennial, Citra and Amarillo. 9.0% ABV. One of the clearest IPAs I have ever made!

DoubleIPA.jpg

Pretty good, needs some refining. I was looking for something similar to Hop JuJu or the like. Aroma is sweet candied fruit, peach and orange mostly, and a slight grainy/toasted bread note. Flavor is lacking a bit to me. Grapefruit/grapefruit pith are just about all that's there. The nose has a ton of sweet fruit, but the flavor doesn't hit the same. There is also a bit of noticeable alcohol when you drink it. Bitterness is pretty spot on, but need to get more hop flavor.

The malt flavor is nice, so I will probably leave that alone. Ill probably reduce the ABV some next time. Maybe hit it with more Amarillo and Citra late in the boil.

My newest, Double IPA with Simcoe, Centennial, Citra and Amarillo. 9.0% ABV. One of the clearest IPAs I have ever made!

View attachment 685502

Pretty good, needs some refining. I was looking for something similar to Hop JuJu or the like. Aroma is sweet candied fruit, peach and orange mostly, and a slight grainy/toasted bread note. Flavor is lacking a bit to me. Grapefruit/grapefruit pith are just about all that's there. The nose has a ton of sweet fruit, but the flavor doesn't hit the same. There is also a bit of noticeable alcohol when you drink it. Bitterness is pretty spot on, but need to get more hop flavor.

The malt flavor is nice, so I will probably leave that alone. Ill probably reduce the ABV some next time. Maybe hit it with more Amarillo and Citra late in the boil.
Try a heavy dryhop on el dorado. Every time I use it, I get a very definitive candy character from it. 50% of the total dryhop and that might be what gives you what you need.

Pineapple beer? There is such a thing? I have pineapples plants bearing fruit in my backyard right now. The caretaking of pineapple plants makes it almost not worth it.....but just barely.
Yes. It’s real my family has been making it for generations. My great aunt - Ma Ru - used to brew it in the closet in New Orleans. You can also make pineapple soda if you don’t let the yeast fully grow.

Back