'New' Lallemand Yeasts - New England and Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great. I typically always harvest from a starter in case I love the yeast. Usually have about 5-6 different ones stored in Liter soda bottles for future starters.

This Omega Kolsch II is something else man. Super pleased.
I went crazy on a liquid lager yeast kick this year so maybe next year will be the year of kolsch yeasts!

I did a bit of reading. Omega Kolsch 2 sounds awfully smart to wlp003 which may be similar to wyeast 2575. Have you had a chance to play with those other strains?

I did a bit of reading. Omega Kolsch 2 sounds awfully smart to wlp003 which may be similar to wyeast 2575. Have you had a chance to play with those other strains?
I won second place at a local comp with 2565, but I think Omega pops a bit more. It's definitely brighter. But I have a feeling 2565 may be more traditional. Omega seems like a hybrid between 2565 and say Dieter or WLP029. There's a touch of sweetness, but it finishes crisp and dry.

Well that definitely didn't last long! I currently have a batch in the fermenter cuttently finishing up with koln. Will say coming from dry form it's a royal pain. When culturing up from liquid it fires off like gangbusters and seems to finish pretty quick. I've only ever used this yeast in liquid form one other time and that was with an ipa. Have a kolsch going right now so really curious to see how that turns out. Wonder if others had the same complaints with this strain? Very slow starter, beyond hefty pitch rate for a dry ale strain, possible phenols from the stressed yeast?

Screenshot_20230922_110614_Chrome.jpg

Well that definitely didn't last long! I currently have a batch in the fermenter cuttently finishing up with koln. Will say coming from dry form it's a royal pain. When culturing up from liquid it fires off like gangbusters and seems to finish pretty quick. I've only ever used this yeast in liquid form one other time and that was with an ipa. Have a kolsch going right now so really curious to see how that turns out. Wonder if others had the same complaints with this strain? Very slow starter, beyond hefty pitch rate for a dry ale strain, possible phenols from the stressed yeast?

View attachment 829816
Kind of sad, but it was one of my least favorite Kolsch yeasts. Check out Omega Kolsch II Kolsch II

Ferments warmer, drops out quicker. Fantastic yeast and by far my favorite Kolsch yeast.

Back