'New' Lallemand Yeasts - New England and Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the LalBrew New England on a recent Tropical Pale Ale. Only pitched one packet, so a little shy of what the pitch rate should have been. It took over 48 hours for the gravity to start dropping. Started at 1.055, stopped at 1.017 (expected a bit drier finish). The beer itself turned out fine. Might consider switching over to one of the other guys next time for a comparison.

Well the 1.5L 1.020 step finished out this evening. Topped this up to 2L (give or take a few) 1.040. Right at 1 hour since step up we have a krausen cone! Really hoping this is done by tomorrow evening so brew day can happen Saturday! Either way maybe just maybe a stepped starter from the frozen yeast bank is what the Dr ordered with Koln.

I’ll say this much. The strain seems to be incredibly hardy and dog slow! This should in theory be in the range of 400 billion cells come pitching time. That’s what the brewersfriend calculator says anyways. The only reason I’m using this strain is because of the “bio transformation” traits. Not sure what if any difference this will make with Calypso. Either way I’ll will keep this updated!

Attachments

• E3A7976C-F82D-4264-859C-F96CE903B70D.jpeg
    E3A7976C-F82D-4264-859C-F96CE903B70D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Checked the stir plate this morning and now we're really cooking! Hoping this starter is done by the evening. Really wanting to brew tomorrow!

Pitched the decanted 2L 1.040 starter of Koln about 3 hours ago. There’s already activity! So now I’m going to test this on a kolsch eventually. Outside of doing a stepped starter from a frozen 15ml tube, or getting a hefty pitch from a previous brew, I wouldn’t recommend this strain. It seems that something with the drying process puts this to sleep big time. Once it goes liquid it performs just fine! I know this totally defeats the purpose of dry strains but so does 3 packs of dry yeast for a normal gravity 5 gallon batch. I’ll keep posting my experiences in hopes it helps others!

17 hours post pitch with Koln. Fermenting at 60f

Attachments

• B9C79ACD-6B47-4E4B-BE46-638B0B19D8FA.jpeg
    B9C79ACD-6B47-4E4B-BE46-638B0B19D8FA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
congrats @wepeeler ! haven't entered my beers in anything yet but hopefully you also got solid feedback too.
Thanks man! I did get really good feedback. Funny thing is the last batch of this particular Kolsch was better IMO. I shared it with one of the brewers at New England Brewing Co (NEBCO), and he told me to enter it. So I brewed another batch, and here we are! He ended up judging it, because as he handed out the prizes, he told me, "I feel like I tasted this one before". I said that's because you have :)

Picking up Imperial Dieter and Safale K-97 tonight. Going to brew Dieter this Thursday, so I'll let you know how I make out vs Wyeast 2565. Hoping for a return to glory lol.

I prefer Dieter over 2565 (Paffgen) by a large margin. It clears faster and is cleaner. Now that strain can be tart if left in suspension so I would recommend fermenting around 60f for 72 hours or so then let free rise to 68f to finish/clean up. The main thing with this strain is fining/cold conditioning after fermentation. If you can give it a few weeks and fine with gelatin that will help clean up the flavors/appearance. This strain clears fast but it takes a bit of cold conditioning to get the tartness out. It's been rumored this is Imperials version of wlp029 (Fruh). I have not done a side by side so I cannot comment on the similarities or differences. I will try to do so before the end of the year if possible. However, being in FL it really limits how often yeast can be shipped due to hot temps outside. I'll be getting the last few yeast strains shipped early/mid May and will have to baby those before banking them up in the freezer. After that though a brewery is opening up within walking distance from my house. Owner said they can order whatever strain I want so will most likely be using that route going forward.

K-97 is definitely on the to do list and Koln is on the to do list for a proper kolsch now. Koln is pretty darn particular if not treated right in VERY specific conditions. It does bank nicely though. Oh and update! The Calpyso SMASH was moved to secondary only to free up a fermenter. The yeast has mostly dropped out of suspension now. Waiting for a keg to open up and hopefully will have this at least kegged in a week or two.

I prefer Dieter over 2565 (Paffgen) by a large margin. It clears faster and is cleaner. Now that strain can be tart if left in suspension so I would recommend fermenting around 60f for 72 hours or so then let free rise to 68f to finish/clean up. The main thing with this strain is fining/cold conditioning after fermentation. If you can give it a few weeks and fine with gelatin that will help clean up the flavors/appearance. This strain clears fast but it takes a bit of cold conditioning to get the tartness out. It's been rumored this is Imperials version of wlp029 (Fruh). I have not done a side by side so I cannot comment on the similarities or differences. I will try to do so before the end of the year if possible. However, being in FL it really limits how often yeast can be shipped due to hot temps outside. I'll be getting the last few yeast strains shipped early/mid May and will have to baby those before banking them up in the freezer. After that though a brewery is opening up within walking distance from my house. Owner said they can order whatever strain I want so will most likely be using that route going forward.

K-97 is definitely on the to do list and Koln is on the to do list for a proper kolsch now. Koln is pretty darn particular if not treated right in VERY specific conditions. It does bank nicely though. Oh and update! The Calpyso SMASH was moved to secondary only to free up a fermenter. The yeast has mostly dropped out of suspension now. Waiting for a keg to open up and hopefully will have this at least kegged in a week or two.
I've used Dieter quite a bit early on for my Kolsch, but since moved away from it after not getting consistent results. They were my favorite batches, but I just couldn't duplicate them. I think it was more my process than anything, so I'm trying it again. Thinking of doing a double batch - Dieter in 1, K97 in the other. I just don't need 10 gallons of beer on tap at the moment lol. We'll see...

I had decent luck with WL029, but it wasn't the cleanest imo. 2565 was a better attenuator, and I love the balance between the malt and hops. Just not 100% fan of the aroma. It's slightly floral, but I get a bit of earthiness I wish wasn't there. ExBEERiment time!!

I've used Dieter quite a bit early on for my Kolsch, but since moved away from it after not getting consistent results. They were my favorite batches, but I just couldn't duplicate them. I think it was more my process than anything, so I'm trying it again. Thinking of doing a double batch - Dieter in 1, K97 in the other. I just don't need 10 gallons of beer on tap at the moment lol. We'll see...

I had decent luck with WL029, but it wasn't the cleanest imo. 2565 was a better attenuator, and I love the balance between the malt and hops. Just not 100% fan of the aroma. It's slightly floral, but I get a bit of earthiness I wish wasn't there. ExBEERiment time!!
What's your experience with WLP029 compared to G03? I brewed a WLP029 batch moons ago but ran into issues with chloramines so that was a dumper. So far out of G03, 2565, and 1007 my favorite would be 1007. It's an altbier yeast but it's just so clean. It's dog slow though and takes a bit of cold conditioning to clear. The results are always worth the wait though :)

WL029 was too sweet for me. Used it a few times in Kolsch and even tried for Altbier. Didn't like 1007 at all. People rave about it, but I've never had good luck. Tasted musty and took ages to clear. G03 was by far my favorite, until it wasn't. Hoping to find my groove again with G03.

Just kegged the Koln batch. The warm uncarbonated sample was malt forward. The calypso hop was meh. All I got was bitterness. Going to see how some cold conditioning and keg hopping treats this. I do think Koln would make a very good malty pale ale yeast. The beer was semi clear going into the keg at room temp. Curious to see how it does with some gelatin finings

Just kegged the Koln batch. The warm uncarbonated sample was malt forward. The calypso hop was meh. All I got was bitterness. Going to see how some cold conditioning and keg hopping treats this. I do think Koln would make a very good malty pale ale yeast. The beer was semi clear going into the keg at room temp. Curious to see how it does with some gelatin finings
You definitely don't want your Kolsch to be malt forward! Calypso just isn't the right hops for the style. Have to go noble.

Just finished brewing the Dieter Kolsch. 1.053 OG. Wanted 1.048. I'll let you know in a few weeks!

You definitely don't want your Kolsch to be malt forward! Calypso just isn't the right hops for the style. Have to go noble.

Just finished brewing the Dieter Kolsch. 1.053 OG. Wanted 1.048. I'll let you know in a few weeks!

Hoping to put in a yeast order this Friday with wlp029. I've got a back to back brew day lined up next weekend. Due to the temps outside I'll need to bank the yeast up for the freezer as soon as it comes in the mail. Have a few strains that'll be banked up back to back to back and such. Getting wlp400 (for a wedding brew in late July), wlp940, wlp029, and wlp810 (for a Christmas brew). So will have a good bit of yeast to bring back to life and bank up :) For the wlp029 I was going to give Brulosophers Best Blonde Ale a shot. Added gelatin to the Calypso smash today. Going to wait until next weekend to tap the keg. The initial warm taste was all over the place. Needs cold conditioning time

Hoping to put in a yeast order this Friday with wlp029. I've got a back to back brew day lined up next weekend. Due to the temps outside I'll need to bank the yeast up for the freezer as soon as it comes in the mail. Have a few strains that'll be banked up back to back to back and such. Getting wlp400 (for a wedding brew in late July), wlp940, wlp029, and wlp810 (for a Christmas brew). So will have a good bit of yeast to bring back to life and bank up :) For the wlp029 I was going to give Brulosophers Best Blonde Ale a shot. Added gelatin to the Calypso smash today. Going to wait until next weekend to tap the keg. The initial warm taste was all over the place. Needs cold conditioning time
The Dieter fermented out to 1.010. Have high hopes for this bad boy.

Good luck with the WL029. I couldn't get it to do what I needed it to do, but that's probably more me than the yeast.

K-97 batch brewing on Friday, so I'll be able to sample the Dieter and K-97 side by side in a few weeks. Brewed exactly 1 week apart.

K-97 Kolsch brew day went off without a hitch. Finished around 1:30pm, and she's currently bubbling away at 65F. 1 pack of K-97 pitched dry. OG 1.050. I'll be able to sample this and the Dieter side by side in a few weeks, which is very exciting, and should be very helpful tweaking going forward.

So far my favorite is 2565, but I need to get more floral out of it.

Kegged the Dieter Kolsch on Thursday, fined with Biofine Clear, and it's almost carbed up. The malt backbone is insane. Definitely one of my favorite malt flavors in a kolsch. It's a touch sweet, which reminds me of WLP029. But it's cleared up almost brilliantly in a few days in the keg. Hoping to let it sit (not sample it everyday), and try it side by side with the K-97 in a week or so. I'm VERY happy so far, but so far I do prefer the Wyeast 2565.

Kegged the Dieter Kolsch on Thursday, fined with Biofine Clear, and it's almost carbed up. The malt backbone is insane. Definitely one of my favorite malt flavors in a kolsch. It's a touch sweet, which reminds me of WLP029. But it's cleared up almost brilliantly in a few days in the keg. Hoping to let it sit (not sample it everyday), and try it side by side with the K-97 in a week or so. I'm VERY happy so far, but so far I do prefer the Wyeast 2565.
I have wlp029 on hand now and plan to bank it up soon. The test tubes have thinned out big time so will need to put in another Amazon order so the rest of the strains can be banked up :)

I have wlp029 on hand now and plan to bank it up soon. The test tubes have thinned out big time so will need to put in another Amazon order so the rest of the strains can be banked up :)
Dieter is clear as heck now. Fruitier and more floral than Wyeast 2565. More malt flavor as well. Same exact recipe to a T as the Wyeast 2565. Not sure I prefer it, but it's definitely a different tasting Kolsch. Kegged the K97 today and it smelled like banana farts in the fermenter lol. I'm sure it'll condition out. Here's a pic of Dieter, after a sip :)
20220519_172854.jpg

I have a kolsch with wlp029 fermenting right now. The dieter keg was a huge hit! This is the same kolsch recipe that was fermented with Dieter so really curious to see how it turns out

I have a kolsch with wlp029 fermenting right now. The dieter keg was a huge hit! This is the same kolsch recipe that was fermented with Dieter so really curious to see how it turns out
Good stuff. Hope it works out well for you. I posted last night in another Kolsch thread that I re-brewed the Dieter, and I'm not a huge fan. It's a good beer, but too malty for the style IMO. Everyone I shared it with loves it, but I still prefer 2565. Brewing the 2565 again this week with Mecca Grain Vienna (Vanora) to see if there's a difference vs Weyermann. So 8# Weyermann Pils, 2# Mecca Vanora.

And I know I said I felt like Dieter and WLP029 were different, but they were eerily similar this time around. Both leave the beer too malty for the style IMO.

Yeah, I know Dieter came from 029. My next batch will be 2575 and 021. I bought a 5l mini keg of Fru last week. The Gaffel cans I bought have an ash tray finish. 🤨

Weird how i heard all this about o29 cuz its all i know but it gives that kolsch flavor ive grown to love. after a few weeks in the keg it smoothes out fantastic but i also give it like it 3 days ut the fermenter, i could care less about it being cloudy lol its just a good beer.

Not happy with the Dieter Kolsch, but it was a big hit on 4th of July. My brew buddy likes it as well. I feel it's too sweet/malty. I prefer a crisper finish. Also, get no white wine/grape at all with Dieter/029 only with 2565. Still think 2565 is the ticket.

Good stuff. Hope it works out well for you. I posted last night in another Kolsch thread that I re-brewed the Dieter, and I'm not a huge fan. It's a good beer, but too malty for the style IMO. Everyone I shared it with loves it, but I still prefer 2565. Brewing the 2565 again this week with Mecca Grain Vienna (Vanora) to see if there's a difference vs Weyermann. So 8# Weyermann Pils, 2# Mecca Vanora.

And I know I said I felt like Dieter and WLP029 were different, but they were eerily similar this time around. Both leave the beer too malty for the style IMO.
20% Vienna is going to add a lot of malt flavor and body, regardless of the yeast strain.

Thanks man! I did get really good feedback. Funny thing is the last batch of this particular Kolsch was better IMO. I shared it with one of the brewers at New England Brewing Co (NEBCO), and he told me to enter it. So I brewed another batch, and here we are! He ended up judging it, because as he handed out the prizes, he told me, "I feel like I tasted this one before". I said that's because you have :)
Congrats. Enjoy the win!

What characteristics do you get from that strain?
Dude, best Kolsch I ever made. It's super clean, crisp and crushable. Brilliantly clear after using Biofine clear in keg. Literally grain to glass in 3 weeks. I'm getting an excellent light malt flavor with some lemon in the finish. Might be my best brew to date!!

Dude, best Kolsch I ever made. It's super clean, crisp and crushable. Brilliantly clear after using Biofine clear in keg. Literally grain to glass in 3 weeks. I'm getting an excellent light malt flavor with some lemon in the finish. Might be my best brew to date!!
And you've sold me! Will add that onto the annual Yeast order early next year

Next year??? Now! It's fantastic
It's currently over 100f on a daily basis where I live lol Have to wait for the Temps to drop before I order more Yeast. Lhbs only carries wyeast liquid Strains so mail order is the only way of getting other liquid vendor Strains outside of driving 3 hours away from home

It's currently over 100f on a daily basis where I live lol Have to wait for the Temps to drop before I order more Yeast. Lhbs only carries wyeast liquid Strains so mail order is the only way of getting other liquid vendor Strains outside of driving 3 hours away from home
Gotcha. We've got mid 90s this week too. Sucks. Get a pack when it's cooler and keep it going. I harvest from the starter.

Gotcha. We've got mid 90s this week too. Sucks. Get a pack when it's cooler and keep it going. I harvest from the starter.
Yep will bank it up in the freezer bank. I get at least 10 vials/batches per pack of liquid yeast. Could get more just don't have the space or need lol

Yep will bank it up in the freezer bank. I get at least 10 vials/batches per pack of liquid yeast. Could get more just don't have the space or need lol
That's great. I typically always harvest from a starter in case I love the yeast. Usually have about 5-6 different ones stored in Liter soda bottles for future starters.

This Omega Kolsch II is something else man. Super pleased.

Back