Quantcast

'New' Lallemand Yeasts - New England and Kolsch

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Keggsovereasy

Reaction score
That’s why I went with only 2 packets of yeast for the NE IPA. Interestingly, my final gravity after 7 days is 1.014.

rhys333

Reaction score
Any updates on the Lallemand Kölsch dry yeast? Does it take as long to ferment as 2565 and will it produce the characteristic fruity flavors at warmer temperatures?

BeerFst

Reaction score
Any updates on the Lallemand Kölsch dry yeast? Does it take as long to ferment as 2565 and will it produce the characteristic fruity flavors at warmer temperatures?
I have a pseudo kolsch on tap, single hopped with cashmere and Decently dry hopped. I’d say the beer came out alright. I don’t think it’s that fruity, even the cashmere is pretty light.

One rehydrated packet. Mashed at 150 for 75 minutes.

1.046 OG
1.010 FG

6/20 Pitched @ 69F
Fermented 65 (trying for the fruitiness)

6/27 1.012, dry hopped 1oz, spunded
6/28 AM bumped temp to 67F, left hydro on counter from day before, down to 1.010

6/28 PM bumped to 69

6/30 started crash, new hydro sample stayed at 1.010

I later dry hopped with another 2oz cashmere cause I wasn’t happy with the beer. I also added gelatin but I don’t see where that is. It’s much better a month later but not sure I’d use this again vs just doing a hoppy Pilsner or using something like San Diego super

rhys333

Reaction score
I have a pseudo kolsch on tap, single hopped with cashmere and Decently dry hopped. I’d say the beer came out alright. I don’t think it’s that fruity, even the cashmere is pretty light.

One rehydrated packet. Mashed at 150 for 75 minutes.

1.046 OG
1.010 FG

6/20 Pitched @ 69F
Fermented 65 (trying for the fruitiness)

6/27 1.012, dry hopped 1oz, spunded
6/28 AM bumped temp to 67F, left hydro on counter from day before, down to 1.010

6/28 PM bumped to 69

6/30 started crash, new hydro sample stayed at 1.010

I later dry hopped with another 2oz cashmere cause I wasn’t happy with the beer. I also added gelatin but I don’t see where that is. It’s much better a month later but not sure I’d use this again vs just doing a hoppy Pilsner or using something like San Diego super
Awesome. Thanks for the detailed reply,

yeastseeker

Reaction score
I did a koolsch with the dry yeast and found it pretty bland. It did floc out pretty well.
Ive had beers made with it, they are very clean, but lacked "Kolsch" quality. They were greate blonde ales though.

ThenFalcon

Reaction score
I've also got a Kolsch fermenting at 16C. Mine took a couple days to get started, but seems to be going steady now.

skysmyzer

Reaction score
After ~36hrs to get going as well mine ended up going from 1.050 - 1.012. 75% Apparent. I just got round to bottling this one in the weekend.

ThenFalcon

Reaction score
Mine started at 1.049 and went down to 1.008, so around 80%. It's been sitting in a keg for a week, but hasn't completely cleared yet. I didn't add any gelatin (yet).

rhys333

Reaction score
It's weird, but I'm noticing that Lallemand Voss Kveik tastes very kölsch-like. My pale ale definitely has that white wine background characteristic I get from WY2565 Kölsch strain. I fermented 5.5 gallons of a 1.050 ale at 30C with half a packet of the dry yeast (7.5g).

My plan is to brew a simple kölsch with it next and see if it stacks up.

peterj

Reaction score
I rehydrated 1 pack of the New England and pitched into 5.5 gal of 1.051 ESB at 68F. So I just did a typical dry yeast pitching rate. It started fermenting the next day, so lag time was not really an issue. Started raising the temp after about 3 or 4 days slowly up to about 71F. It did take about 10 days to fully finish fermenting down to FG, which was 1.012. So pretty good attenuation especially since this was a quick extract batch I was using to try out the yeast, and there was 1.25 lbs of crystal malts in it. When transferring to keg (Day 14) there were some big yeast rafts/flakes remaining on top with similar flat chunks in the yeast cake, which was kinda weird. The beer had a slight haze but was overall pretty clear and tasted good in the hydrometer sample.

I've had it in the keg for about a week now and I think it tastes really good. It is fairly fruity in a really nice stone fruit, tropical, maybe red apple kind of way. No diacetyl or any other off flavors that I can detect. Definitely not as Englishy as 1318 and not quite as fruity, but the esters it has are really nice. I've never used Conan so I can't really compare it to that.

Honestly I can't stop drinking it. Definitely want to try this in an IPA, and I will probably use it for a lot of my American and British styles. As others said, Label Peelers has it for about $6 and they just had a Halloween sale where I got a couple packs for $4.50 each. Free shipping for dry yeast too. I bought the Koln yeast during that sale too just to try it out. Glad to hear it has some positive reviews.
Oh yeah, I feel like I should go back and revisit my review of the New England strain. I used it in a couple more beers, and I'm actually not really a fan. The flavor is ok, but there's something about it that I don't really like that was distinct in all the beers I did with it. Also it acted really weird, almost like it was a diastaticus strain or something (Lallemand says it's not). I have a Tilt so I was watching the SG. It would have an initial big drop then level out for a couple days, but then it would just slowly keep dropping about 1 point every day or two for a few weeks. I would eventually just keg the beer, but I'm not positive that it would have stopped. I thought maybe I had an infection, but I brewed with other yeasts in between and they acted normally. It ended up leaving the beers too dry and the yeast flavors weren't that great anyway so I decided not to use it anymore.

But Lallemand just came out with the Verdant IPA yeast that is basically a variant of 1318. I just ordered a couple packs from Label Peelers and I can't wait to brew with them.

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
It's weird, but I'm noticing that Lallemand Voss Kveik tastes very kölsch-like. My pale ale definitely has that white wine background characteristic I get from WY2565 Kölsch strain. I fermented 5.5 gallons of a 1.050 ale at 30C with half a packet of the dry yeast (7.5g).

My plan is to brew a simple kölsch with it next and see if it stacks up.
Well genetically the kveik family seem to be the result of a kolsch-like yeast hybridising with an unknown (presumably local Scandinavian) yeast, so it's not as ridiculous as it sounds.