New Fermentis Cider Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Z

Reaction score
I was poking around the Internet and happened to take a look at the Fermentis site. It appears they now have four cider yeasts instead of just one (SafCider).

They call them SafCider AB-1, SafCider AC-4. SafCider AS-2, and SafCider TF-6. I think what they now call AB-1 is the one they previously just called SafCider.

Has anyone seen these trickle down to the homebrew level yet?

I can find 5 gram packets of SafCider just about anywhere. And I think all of their beer yeasts are available in small packets. But I think they have wine yeasts they list on their website that aren't packaged for homebrewer sizes.

I haven’t seen any yet. Just picked up 6 packs of the SafCider yeast which in my opinion is awesome stuff.

I've never used an official "cider" yeast to make cider. My last batch was fermented with S-189 in the low 50s.

Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on it. I'm new to cider making (fermenting in general), only having made it with store bought juice so far. But I'm doing a "yeast wars" right now with 4 types of yeast I found here that people liked, including SafCider. These are half gallon jugs fermenting next to a five gallon batch with Mangrove Jack's M-02 cider yeast. So here in a few weeks I'll be comparing cider made with 5 different yeasts, including two cider specific yeasts.

It's hard to find a lot of reviews or even mention of cider specific yeast on here. Not sure if that's cause they are new or people like the previous message just never try them for one reason or another. What little I have found seemed to indicate cider yeasts seem to be well liked. After all, that's what they are designed for anyway.

I'm reasonably sure most "cider" yeasts are actually wine yeasts (probably white wine yeasts) that someone decided were good for cider and marketed them that way.

Fortunately, they appear to be right. I've gotten good results from SafCider, Mangrove Jack M02, Cider House Select, and Fresco.

But with cider increasing in popularity the yeast companies may actually be selecting and breeding yeasts with cider primarily in mind.

It's hard to find a lot of reviews or even mention of cider specific yeast on here.
I've tried all kinds of beer/wine and some cider yeasts with different juice blends. Although I like some yeast better than others, my first priority these days is to find the apples I want to make cider with. I can get "seconds" around here pretty cheap, but sometimes they are just small, under-ripe apples that aren't the best for fermented cider. Tree ripened fruit is almost impossible to get unless you have your own orchard.
Cider House Select is my first yeast choice for cider, but WL 002 and 71-b wine yeast are good too. I also make a wild fermented cider each season that always comes out pretty good.
Try different yeasts and see what suits your taste.

I am waiting for a few samples of these yeasts to try. I contacted Fermentis though their website. I hear there was an export delay from France but they should be released soon.

Try different yeasts and see what suits your taste.
That is indeed what I'm in the process of doing right now.
IMG_20200916_210510854.jpg

I'll also be going to local orchards to see if I can get fresh, unpasteurized juice.

I did the same thing is you a few years ago, I tested several yeasts, WLP001, WLP002, WLP028 and WLP775. 002 came out the best for me and I have used it since.

I did the same thing is you a few years ago, I tested several yeasts, WLP001, WLP002, WLP028 and WLP775. 002 came out the best for me and I have used it since.
Any comments on why you liked that one best? What you didn't like about the others?

I'm looking to try some other yeast.

The 002 was the hands down winner for me, cleared very nice, left some sweetness behind with some apple aroma that some of the others did not. I did not have cooling capabilities back then so they may have gotten warm which affected the flavors.

The 775 cider yeast was the runner up and was bone dry which was fine and some apple aroma.

001 ripped through the sugar fastest but I wasn’t a fan of how it stripped all apple flavor.

Also don’t be afraid to experiment with out of the box type of yeasts as well.

My go to is Mangrove Jacks M2 but last year I played with Imperial Napoleon (saison) and was very impressed. So much so that I have two 5g batches that I just pitched w Napoleon.

My last year’s cider is still in Carboys but I really like the complexity of the saison. It cleared quicker than other yeasts as well as tastes really goodjust a month or so after pitching. It adds a little complexityto the finish that’s hard to describe.
I also have a batch in carboy that was fermented with Imperial Loki kveik yeast. It’s very different but too young to determine.

Back