NEIPA peppery and harsh days after kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehopthief

Reaction score
I made a NEIPA with citra, Ella and galaxy hops. It fermented for 10 days with citra being added during active fermented and Ella and galaxy added 5 days to go with a cold crash last 2 days. I just put the hop pellets directly in.

I moved to keg and did my best to keep out o2 but didn't do anything fancy. Purged then siphoned in. Burst carbed and a few hours later set to serving pressure and tried. It was one of the best beers I've ever had no joke or bias. I let my buddy try and he confirmed. Second day it was still really good but could tell it was a bit more peppery. Day 5 and it's still very nice tropical aroma but strong harsh flavor. I'm pretty sure this is from the galaxy hops but is this happening due to oxygenation or just something I need to work on with galaxy? I didn't do any hopping in the keg and all the hop material should've been on tht bottom of the fermenter.

Is it possible the peppery flavor was there all along but masked by the initial hop astringency that comes with drinking these beers on Day 0-3? I only ask because peppery is usually a yeast-driven phenol that may have resulted from an infection of some sort. It’s only becoming more apparent as the hops meld and drop out of solution.

Someone here said something about a batch of Galaxy that was off . Had a pepper/ garlic note to them.

Someone here said something about a batch of Galaxy that was off . Had a pepper/ garlic note to them.
Ah, that’s no good. Better than an infection, but still unwanted. Hopefully someone can confirm the crop is the same.

Usually need 2 weeks in the keg to condition to get rid of that green vegetable/harshness to mellow out just due to the crazy amount of hops added during dry hopping. Lot of hop particles usually in the first few pints from the keg too, which makes it worse. I usually pour off the first 3-4 pints.

Back