Recipe created by ChatGPT - Does it check out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosiac

Reaction score
So I thought it would be fun to see what ChatGPT could come up with for a beer recipe.

Here is the prompt I used:
Code:
Create an all grain west coast IPA recipe which includes the following:
-Mosaic Hops
-Galaxy Hops
-Citra Hops
-Omega Lutra yeast
-Jalapenos

Must yield 3 gallons and use brew in a bag method.

The response from ChatGPT:

Here is a recipe for a West Coast IPA that includes Mosaic, Galaxy, Citra hops, and Omega Lutra yeast, and also includes jalapeno peppers for a unique twist:

Ingredients:
  • 8.5 lbs (3.9 kg) American 2-row malt
  • 1 lb (454 g) American crystal malt (20L)
  • 0.5 lb (227 g) American Munich malt
  • 0.5 lb (227 g) American victory malt
  • 0.5 lb (227 g) American wheat malt
  • 1 oz (28 g) Mosaic hops (60 min)
  • 1 oz (28 g) Galaxy hops (30 min)
  • 1 oz (28 g) Citra hops (15 min)
  • 1 oz (28 g) Mosaic hops (5 min)
  • 1 oz (28 g) Galaxy hops (5 min)
  • 1 oz (28 g) Citra hops (5 min)
  • 1 oz (28 g) Mosaic hops (0 min)
  • 1 oz (28 g) Galaxy hops (0 min)
  • 1 oz (28 g) Citra hops (0 min)
  • 3 jalapeno peppers, sliced (0 min)
  • 1 packet Omega Lutra yeast
Instructions:
  1. Heat 6.5 gallons (24.6 L) of water to 154°F (68°C).
  2. Place the grains in a large brew-in-a-bag (BIAB) bag and add it to the water.
  3. Mash the grains for 60 minutes at 154°F (68°C).
  4. Lift the BIAB bag out of the water and let it drain.
  5. Bring the wort to a boil and add the hops according to the schedule above.
  6. At the end of the boil, add the sliced jalapeno peppers.
  7. Cool the wort to 68°F (20°C) and pitch the yeast.
  8. Ferment at 68°F (20°C) for 7-10 days, or until fermentation is complete.
  9. Transfer the beer to a keg or bottling bucket and carbonate to your desired level.
  10. Enjoy your spicy West Coast IPA!
This recipe should yield around 3 gallons of finished beer. Remember to take accurate original gravity (OG) and final gravity (FG) readings to calculate the alcohol by volume (ABV) of your finished beer.

• Cut the crystal in half
  • Don’t waste Mosaic and Galaxy at 60 and 30. Put them both in at 15, or better still, use a bittering hop at 60.
  • Use a hop stand instead of a 0 minute addition. And add a dry hop.

• Cut the crystal in half
  • Don’t waste Mosaic and Galaxy at 60 and 30. Put them both in at 15, or better still, use a bittering hop at 60.
  • Use a hop stand instead of a 0 minute addition. And add a dry hop.
I was thinking something like cascade for bittering might be more economical.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I'd stay away from adding jalapeños on the hot side. Cooked pepper just tastes different, and it's not what you want. Maybe add a few sliced jalapeños along with the dry hop? Or, you know, serranos are nice, too...

Yeah, now that you mention it, I'd stay away from adding jalapeños on the hot side. Cooked pepper just tastes different, and it's not what you want. Maybe add a few sliced jalapeños along with the dry hop? Or, you know, serranos are nice, too...
Looking around on the forum it does seem like most use the peppers in secondary. I think I may actually go with a slight tweak of this Pliney The Elder 4.0 recipe mainly swapping Simcoe for Mosaic for my preference.

@Mosiac : consider asking ChatGPT why it chose the ingredients (and process steps) that are part of the receipe? Brewers know that 'every ingredient must have a purpose' and can explain that purpose.

For each of us, we may want to (or maybe not want to) consider this:
Why, in a hobby, would one delegate the most interesting and creative part of the hobby (recipe design and construction) to a piece of software owned by someone else?​

@Mosiac : consider asking ChatGPT why it chose the ingredients (and process steps) that are part of the receipe? Brewers know that 'every ingredient must have a purpose' and can explain that purpose.

For each of us, we may want to (or maybe not want to) consider this:
Why, in a hobby, would one delegate the most interesting and creative part of the hobby (recipe design and construction) to a piece of software owned by someone else?​
Not sure who peed in your cheerios but this was just a fun little experiment to see what chatgpt came up with.

what chatgpt came up with.
  • It got the hops wrong.
  • It got the the malts wrong.
  • It parroted the yeast you suggested,
  • It #epicfail'd on the pepper,
  • It left a bunch of other stuff out.
All of this is obvious to a home brewer with a couple of years of home brewing experience.

There are a number of well written, annotated, recipe templates in that old-fangled thing called a book that already do better.

• It got the hops wrong.
  • It got the the malts wrong.
  • It parroted the yeast you suggested,
  • It #epicfail'd on the pepper,
  • It left a bunch of other stuff out.
All of this is obvious to a home brewer with a couple of years of home brewing experience.

There are a number of well written, annotated, recipe templates in that old-fangled thing called a book that already do better.
This post wasn't meant to be taken as a serious tool for brewing...

I asked ChatGP to come up with an NEIPA recipe, it had an oz of hops at 60 minutes, one oz at 10 minutes and a one oz dry hop 😂

I asked it why there were so few hops and it said:

"You are correct that the amount of hops in this recipe is lower than what is typical for a NEIPA. NEIPAs are known for their strong hop flavor and aroma, and as such, many NEIPA recipes call for significantly more hops than this one does.

However, the amount of hops you use in your NEIPA is ultimately a matter of personal preference. Some brewers prefer a more balanced, less hop-forward NEIPA, while others prefer a beer that is bursting with hops.

If you would like to increase the hop character in this recipe, you can try using more hops in the boil and dry hop, or you can try using hops with a higher alpha acid content, which will contribute more bitterness to the finished beer. You could also try using a combination of different hops to achieve a more complex hop character.

It's important to keep in mind that the hop profile of a NEIPA can be influenced by a number of factors, including the type and amount of hops used, the timing of their addition, the pH of the wort, and the fermentation temperature. Experimenting with different hop combinations and techniques can help you create a NEIPA that suits your own taste preferences."

Interesting and fun experiment but it's rubbish at creating homebrew recipes 😄

Sure, it’s easy to take potshots, but I think it’s amazingly close to a reasonable recipe. While the use of crystal malt in a WC IPA has been trending down for quite some time, but it’s hardly inappropriate, especially with IBUs of over 150. I’d make a tincture from the peppers rather than add them at flameout. Flaming the tool for these choices or for actually using ingredients it was asked to use isn’t fair. No, I wouldn’t rely upon it to write my recipes, but that wasn’t what the OP was doing. It was just a fun experiment.

The tool is pretty amazing overall. A few days ago, I fed it a few facts about a pipe-smoking friend and asked it to write a story about him. The results were pretty remarkable. It used phrases that were appropriate for tobacco pipe smoking that I hadn’t mentioned.

I wouldn’t rely upon it to write my recipes
We agree on this point.

Beyond that, I'm seeing two concurrent sub-topics in this topic
  1. having fun with ChatGPT
  2. "Does it [the recipe] check out?"
Pick a sub-topic (aka stream), enjoy the discussion. And ...

1672531031897.png

Back