Quantcast

Neglected Brew Bag

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

THVbrew

Reaction score
So long story short, i forgot about my brew bag after a session and now it has a bunch of mold growing on it. Is there anything I can soak it in to completely rid it of the mold, or am I SOL?

PADave

Reaction score
I've heard of people washing it in a washing machine, boiling it, using other cleaning methods. Personally I'd get a new one. The bag is the first thing I clean once the boil starts.

20grit

Reaction score
White vinegar will kill mold. But then you have a vinegar soaked bag. Just get a new one.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
I wouldn't toss it because of mold. There's plenty of methods to clean it discussed above. It may not look like new but does it really matter?

Why anyone would toss a bag for this reason is beyond me. I'd only toss a bag if it was ripped rendering it completely useless.

If the bags only cost a couple bucks then yeah I might toss is. But a wilser bag is nearly $30 shipped.

BowAholic

Reaction score
I say use it... toss a $30 bag that doesn't have a hole it it...? not me. I did the same thing and just soaked it in bleach water, then starsan. It's fine.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
Reaction score
A soak in bleach and water should clean it up well, if you want to take the easy route and toss it, PM me I'll give you a rate :)

atcsat

Reaction score
I left my bag full of spent grains in my side yard for 2 days once after a late night of brewing/drinking with buddies. No idea who put it over there. Had all kinds of bugs crawling thru it when I found it but no holes or damage, and my first thought was to just toss it. Gave it a hard spray and quick bleach bath then thru the washer and it is still being used.

Terek

"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
Reaction score
throw it in the washing machine

frankdontsurf

Reaction score
Oxy, washing machine should handle that. That's how I do my bug nets for camping..