Need Kirin or Sapporo or Orion Style Recipe Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I study paleoethnobotany (early human and crops) in Hokkaido and they do indeed have their own wheat and barley variants in the region. Their wheat is similar to dwarf wheat but seems to be its own specific strain. Okhotsk barley is all over the region as well, though I'm not sure if they still use it today on a commercial scale.

As for a Sapporo or Orion Clone, I strongly suspect cooked (gelatinized) rice is used as part of the grain bill. I'm actually going to be experimenting next month with starting the Sake making process with a Koji "moto" of rice, and then adding this to the grain bill for an Asahi Black clone for some added nuance.

These beers definitely do taste different in Japan. If you get an Asahi from the Canadian, Thai, and Japanese breweries and drink them side by side, there are substantial differences. There always will be. Slight differences in regional yeast variations (a sourdough from one region will taste distinct from a sourdough of another region, despite an exact recipe), the "terra" taste of the earth and agricultural practices, population variations in grain, etc. etc. etc. But I think the biggest variation to consider is water. I don't know how you'd do this, but getting a water report of the region around these Japanese breweries might help copy that authentic taste. That and, as I said, cooked rice.

PS. Any Yebisu Creamy Top lovers out there? Its like the Japanese Guinness but better.

Back