Natural Carbonating in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdrinker

Reaction score
I'm looking to naturally carb in the keg for the first time, I usually force carb but I now have more kegs than keggerator space.

Back in the days when I bottled (years ago) I remember needing to heat the sugar with water to dissolve it before mixing in the bottling bucked to ensure the sugar was evenly split between the bottles. However with the keg I don't think this is necessary as all the sugar is going into one vessel.

Can I just rack the beer from the fermenter and add the corn sugar on top?

:mug:

As long as you are not worried about infection (which boiling the sugar will solve) then you can just add the sugar to the keg. Remember to use 1/2 - 1/3 the priming sugar in the keg than you would use in the bottles.

Thanks for the tips. I'm not to worried about the corn sugar, the beer should have enough alcohol to kill anything off.

Thanks for the tips. I'm not to worried about the corn sugar, the beer should have enough alcohol to kill anything off.

Yes, but it does dissolve better if you boil it in a little water first. Otherwise, since you don't want to oxidize the beer by shaking/stirring the sugar in, it might not dissolve well.

+1 to what LKA said. I usually measure out my sugar (1/2 what it would be for a bottled batch) and just launch it right on in. Sometimes before, sometimes after racking. Never with stirring, never with boiling water. I have faith that yeast will find their food.

Just remember to give a quick blast of co2 to make sure the lid seats properly and poppets aren't leaking. Might as well purge the headspace while you're at it.

Latest posts

Back