National Homebrew Competition 2019

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 180 theoretical IBU double IPA wasn’t bitter enough... 10ml hopshot at 60 for 5 gallons plus additions at 45 and 30. Not sure how I could make It more bitter without screwing the water profile up completely... I don’t know what beer these judges are drinking.

My 180 theoretical IBU double IPA wasn’t bitter enough... 10ml hopshot at 60 for 5 gallons plus additions at 45 and 30. Not sure how I could make It more bitter without screwing the water profile up completely... I don’t know what beer these judges are drinking.

Buddy in my club said the same thing..."what beers are these judges drinking". He entered a Dopplebock and a Czech Amber and Helles to Philly...all fantastic beers that everyone in club had has 40 point plus beers. Both a million times better than my two beers that advanced. His Dopplebock got a 29, the Czech Amber a 34 and the Helles got a 29 with "too much hop plant matter" comment in a beer with maybe 2 ounces of hops in it. But his concern really is that they were both marked as "low fill"...and he was adamant that he purposely made sure the fill was spot on...that plus how low the beers scored has him thinking that they were not his beers that were judged.

Meanwhile, my Helles took second with a 39 (his was much better than mine) and in other comps my Helles scored 29, 23, 30...with comments of "corn, DMS"...yet no mention of that at NHC...so while it worked in my favor..."what beer were these judges drinking?"

Buddy in my club said the same thing..."what beers are these judges drinking". He entered a Dopplebock and a Czech Amber and Helles to Philly...all fantastic beers that everyone in club had has 40 point plus beers. Both a million times better than my two beers that advanced. His Dopplebock got a 29, the Czech Amber a 34 and the Helles got a 29 with "too much hop plant matter" comment in a beer with maybe 2 ounces of hops in it. But his concern really is that they were both marked as "low fill"...and he was adamant that he purposely made sure the fill was spot on...that plus how low the beers scored has him thinking that they were not his beers that were judged.

Meanwhile, my Helles took second with a 39 (his was much better than mine) and in other comps my Helles scored 29, 23, 30...with comments of "corn, DMS"...yet no mention of that at NHC...so while it worked in my favor..."what beer were these judges drinking?"
They were drinking his and gave you the points?

They were drinking his and gave you the points?

Not necessary drinking his...just saying that my Helles was not great and other judges in other comp verified that, but yet it scored 39 and advanced at NHC. Out of my 5 beers, the I had ranked the Helles as the one with the worst chance of advancing. Meanwhile his great beers did not score well and we marked as low fill when he knows he did not have low fills...just seems like there may have been a mix up when labels were removed and the coding system they use when sorting bottles may have had a mix up. It happens...my Schwarzbier got mixed up at Drunk Monk comp, a very large comp, this year and they judged it as a Dunkel.

I received my score sheets from Tampa a few minutes ago. I about wore out my send/receive button over the last few weeks.

Got my score sheets today. 39 for an old ale. Wasn't "old" enough, which is probably true. Doesn't look like it went to a mini-BOS.

Got my score sheets today. 39 for an old ale. Wasn't "old" enough, which is probably true. Doesn't look like it went to a mini-BOS.

C1AF94F0-A615-4DB6-A349-E0AB8BD76FA4-27559-000016026E31D365.JPG

How often do they mix up beers in these competitions?

I have a result from Tampa that isn’t even close. The color is way off. I know it’s not a good beer but it doesn’t have any of the flavor descriptors they use.

Doesn’t really matter just wanted feedback on my beer.

Oh well. Rant off.

Great work all, just entering is cool. Best of luck in late rounds those of you still in it. @jdauria maybe your beers are better than you think? Take a bow man. Enjoy your great work. Yeah back in the days I heard you could carpet bomb the comps, not so much anymore.

I don’t know what beer these judges are drinking.

I have a result from Tampa that isn’t even close. The color is way off. I know it’s not a good beer but it doesn’t have any of the flavor descriptors they use.

Don't discount the effects that transport and long storage have on your beers by the time the competition rolls around....not to mention serving temperature/conditions, position within the flight, judge experience (or lack thereof), palate fatigue (these are huge comps where some judges are having to do judge ~10 flights, or more), etc., etc....

Winning at NHC requires a ton of luck, not just skill...

Great work all, just entering is cool. Best of luck in late rounds those of you still in it. @jdauria maybe your beers are better than you think? Take a bow man. Enjoy your great work. Yeah back in the days I heard you could carpet bomb the comps, not so much anymore.

Thanks! Just shocked on the Helles since it got crushed in 3 other comps over last two months.

For final round entries, I'd suggest checking out delivery/shipping trails and confirmations - this blip came out from John:

Important Shipping Company Stuff

• Do NOT use FedEx for Shipment
    We became aware late yesterday that the FedEx distribution center in Seekonk, MA, is rejecting all packages containing beer for delivery to the primary shipping location. We deeply apologize for those effected by this issue and are doing what we can to accommodate the problem. For now,do not use FedEx and use a different shipping carrier to ship your entries.
    If your entries have been rejected and returned to you, we are extending the shipping deadline to June 22 (COB).

For final round entries, I'd suggest checking out delivery/shipping trails and confirmations - this blip came out from John:

Important Shipping Company Stuff

• Do NOT use FedEx for Shipment
    We became aware late yesterday that the FedEx distribution center in Seekonk, MA, is rejecting all packages containing beer for delivery to the primary shipping location. We deeply apologize for those effected by this issue and are doing what we can to accommodate the problem. For now,do not use FedEx and use a different shipping carrier to ship your entries.
    If your entries have been rejected and returned to you, we are extending the shipping deadline to June 22 (COB).
Luckily I sent mine UPS and they’ve already received it. 1 entry in cider.

Shipped mine FedEx and it shows delivered with signature Friday the 14th at 10:04 AM. Just lucky I guess.

How did everyone do? My German Pils took second!

Awesome - Congrats!

I had 2 in finals, but neither placed. Be curious to see the scores/sheets. Thought my Dortmunder might be in the ballpark..... was not very confident in the Dark Mild I sent in. It was ok, but not great.

Back to the drawing board for me :)

Congrats Spartan!!!!

Had 1 in the finals, a Dark Mild, but didn't place. Looking forward to the score sheet comments!

Latest posts

Back