Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve never been to Gibraltar and I couldn’t match your photo with any image from the web of the view from the “Rock”, but I thought everything seemed to fit. So I say Gibraltar.

For a change. Sort of.
88AE0452-E220-4EA7-99CB-7EDA99CBCFE3.jpeg

Well spotted! I can barely make out the lettering so… Serves me right for gloating.

Indeed, this is Regents Canal, just off Regents Park, London.

The connection I wanted to highlight was that this picture was taken in the same country as the previous one. Although the UK has some pretty particular views as to what is a “country” and what parts are in it or not.

The connection I wanted to highlight was that this picture was taken in the same country as the previous one. Although the UK has some pretty particular views as to what is a “country” and what parts are in it or not.

Well, if you go by the Frank Zappa definition "you can’t be a Real Country unless you have A BEER and an airline—it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need A BEER" then I offer you :
1639172118152.png1639172180666.png1639172237305.png

OK, some of those are no longer current, but in general the UK has a far more distant relationship with its Overseas Territories than France does with its equivalents, which in US terms are closer to full "states" whereas the BOTs are more like Guam or the Marshall Islands.

Evidently, I've found a theme:

Well if that theme is odd islands claimed by Britain then the iceberg implies we're down south, but perhaps not so far down south as to be in the British Antarctic Territory proper. Clearly these are not the main islands of the Falklands or South Georgia (where as an aside we have various family links), so I'm guessing it's the South Sandwich Isles?

Actually one of the places you listed as NOT is actually correct. These rocks are considered part of one of those places....

He's British and probably knows what he's talking about. I think the Willis Islands are considered part of the South Sandwich Islands.

Not really, I was just spitballing on the assumption that the South Sandwich archipelago is more obscure. But it looks like these are the Shag Rocks, west of South Georgia proper - so not part of the South Sandwich group.

Well, if you go by the Frank Zappa definition "you can’t be a Real Country unless you have A BEER and an airline—it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need A BEER" then I offer you :
View attachment 751861View attachment 751862View attachment 751863

OK, some of those are no longer current, but in general the UK has a far more distant relationship with its Overseas Territories than France does with its equivalents, which in US terms are closer to full "states" whereas the BOTs are more like Guam or the Marshall Islands.

True, the status of many former French colonies is quite different. Those that chose to stick around with the motherland are now simply “France”. Departments, or administrative regions just like any other.

But I was also alluding to something else, which gets all too complicated with folks unfamiliar with those damp islands: the weird status of “constituent countries” (i.e. Scotland, Wales, England, NI), that are countries but not sovereign states. And, taking the football and sporting analogy a bit further, the fact that the UK is sometimes UK, sometimes GB, sometimes just England. And that’s if we’re not talking rugby, where it can get even more complicated with the “British & Irish Lions” :)

On the other hand, it's such a good idea that the Dutch stole it in 1954.

Cricket (naturally) is probably the weirdest, where Wales is combined with England (and plays as England), Scotland is counted as a separate country, Northern Ireland is combined with Ireland and the Caribbean overseas territories are combined as the West Indies. And the Olympics, where people from Northern Ireland can choose whether they represent Ireland or the UK (except the UK is known as Team GB, partly because GBR works better as an abbreviation in other languages)

Anyway, I toyed with giving you Advent in Cornwall but decided that was probably too obscure, and I think we could do with going somewhere warmer :
1639222259519.png

Indeed it's Ouagadougou - when I posted it on Saturday it was the 63rd anniversary of the then Upper Volta's transition from direct rule to self-governing colony.

The Monument of National Heroes was originally conceived as part of the programme of public works of Thomas Sankara, an anti-imperialist Marxist in the mould of Castro who came to power in a 1983 coup at the age of 33. He renamed the country Burkina Faso which uses words from two different local languages to mean "land of the honest people".

In turn Sankara was killed during a 1987 coup led by his friend and deputy Blaise Compaoré who reversed many of Sankara's policies and who ruled ruthlessly for 27 years until protests in 2014 over his attempts to overrule term limits. This eventually led to the election of a civilian, the banker Roch Marc Christian Kaboré in 2015 who was re-elected last year.

Construction didn't actually start until 2002, and in the aftermath of the 2014 uprising it was renamed as the Pantheon of the Martyrs of the Revolution.

@dirkomatic, you're up

It is Lalibela, Ethopia. This church in particular is the Church of St. George. This image from above shows how one has to access the church:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...=2ahUKEwj6_IXg_uP0AhViTd8KHS2hAmEQoip6BAgkEAM
It also shows the gorge that is meant to represent the River Jordan separating the "Earthly Jerusalem" churches in the area from the "Heavenly Jersulam" churches.

The church was carved completely out of the volcanic rock hill sometime in the 12th or 13th century AD.

Your turn, @cmac62

Back