Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok... Another from "Places I have been, but this photo is a snag from Google maps."
beenhere.PNG

I seriously first thought it was Mortlake in London or somewhere along the Thames, but the bridges were wrong.

The bridges are always a giveaway - almost every strategic bridge in France/Flanders/Germany etc was destroyed in WWII and were replaced afterwards whereas most bridges in British city centres are Victorian (or earlier). On the other hand, most of the buildings here look fairly original - whilst some of the most wrecked towns have been restored remarkably, it's usually obvious when a town has been close to the main fighting. So that would eg knock out the Marne in this case, I was half-wondering whether it might be the Saone. Also mansard roofs are very French - there was a rule in Paris that the bottom of the roof could be no more than 20 metres, so they built living accommodation into the roofspace. The architecture spilled over into areas around Paris, but mansard roofs aren't particularly common in the UK.

But I know what you mean, the river in isolation is quite Thames-y.

This one is Angers, France... Which is an interesting name.

Pronounced Ahn-zhay, most famous as the homes of the Angevins, or Plantagenets, who ruled England 1154-1485.

I knew it was somewhere I'd been to, the castle is impressive. Think we stopped there to pick up DIY supplies when helping some former out-laws renovate their house to the south.

. . . most famous as the homes of the Angevins, or Plantagenets, who ruled England 1154-1485.
On my mother's side the family tree goes back to those kings through Lady Joan Beaufort who married Sir Ralph de Neville. Joan Beaufort was a daughter of John of Gaunt, Earl of Lancaster, son of Edward III. The War of the Roses ends with her grandson, Richard III, being killed in battle with Henry Tudor, a relative, of course, in 1485. Henry Tudor becomes Henry VII and marries a York to reunite the family. In 1525 their son, Henry VIII, takes a header into a stream in a falconing accident and is pulled out by a footman, Edmond Moody, which gets my father's side of the family tree involved in the story.

None of this has anything to do with this skyline from 1990:
1990 1.png

I don’t recognize the building on the background, but it has to be a major European travel hub (as opposed to a smaller city with canals), so the options are limited. I’ll start with the obvious choice: Amsterdam?

Ok. There are so many more canals in Amsterdam compared to viable option #2, Copenhagen, that it seemed much more likely, even if I don’t know the exact spot. BTW, there’s a barely visible sign that reads VARIG, the long defunct Brazilian airline. That’s what limited the options to the main airports, as opposed to a smaller Dutch or Belgian town.

That's the most non-descript street I've ever seen. It could be anywhere in the US. So, I'll guess Wichita, Kansas.
Yeah... Kind of what I thought was funny about it. About as non-fascinating of a place I've ever seen.

Pretty good guess. Not Kansas, but close, in terms of the US midwest.

Some searching later, found the bank building.

Lincoln, Nebraska. St Paul United Methodist Church on the left, and more importantly to the topic of this forum, the Lincoln Marriott Cornhusker hotel to the right of the bank, which has a Miller Time pub on the corner furthest away from the shot.

Wait, how do you know where Springfield is?! Google says there are at least 34 Springfields in the US (one near me in VA), in addition to the notorious fictional one in the Simpsons, which is what I had in mind with my guess. At least I had a chance...
I assumed you were at least making a pretty good guess with Springfield, IL... The capital of Illinois, and what I think of when someone mentions "Springfield."

Back