Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0181.JPG

Is that the Dead Sea in the distance?

One more left if that isn't it either (Sea of Galilee).

Although I'm not 100% convinced that's water in the background, I was originally thinking it was just a hazy sky but good idea to ask.

The landscape and clouds say Europe. The canals perhaps... Belgium (or Asia). The fort like thing looks like it was leftover from a movie. Ahh so the canals are part of the defense not for farming or irrigation. Ugh.

Starting off the guessing with... somewhere in Europe.

The landscape and clouds say Europe. The canals perhaps... Belgium (or Asia). The fort like thing looks like it was leftover from a movie. Ahh so the canals are part of the defense not for farming or irrigation. Ugh.

Starting off the guessing with... somewhere in Europe.
Europe is correct, Belgium is not.

The fort like thing is not from a movie set, and there is a link to the previous challenge.

The field in the background looks like the UK - does it have a dry stone wall?

Is it a recreation of an Iron Age fort?
Getting closer, not UK though.

It is a recreation of a fortification that existed at the end of the Iron Age in this region. Given what demarcates the end of the Iron Age though, it is debatable whether it is Iron Age or not.

The field in the background looks like the UK - does it have a dry stone wall?
Grass is the wrong colour for a dry stone wall area, which tend to be grazed by sheep. It's further south than that.

If not UK or Belgium, then France?
Europe is correct, Belgium is not.

The fort like thing is not from a movie set, and there is a link to the previous challenge.
Masada was the site of a last stand against the Romans so if that's the connection then the obvious last stand in Gaul would be Vercingetorix?

Grass is the wrong colour for a dry stone wall area, which tend to be grazed by sheep. It's further south than that.

If not UK or Belgium, then France?

Masada was the site of a last stand against the Romans so if that's the connection then the obvious last stand in Gaul would be Vercingetorix?
I'll give it to you if you're claiming it. Just give me the location to finalize.

Since Northern_Brewer doesn't appear to have claimed it, I'll give it to govner1 with Alesia.
Well I was kinda taking the view that govner1 had grabbed it during our overnight and there was no point me saying the same thing, not that bothered TBH.

The tree top-right definitely looks tropical, and the bedding bottom-right is lush, so it feels like we're in the tropics somewhere.

The brown building looks like someone's read a book about Art Deco but not seen any of it in the flesh, and the other buildings have that slightly OTT flamboyance you get in newbuilds in eg China. But the pedestrians are definitely not Chinese.

So I'm going to say SE Asia somewhere, in the tropics. Kuala Lumpur?

Hmm - I had no idea that Art Deco was a thing in Singapore, apparently it dates back to Frank Dorrington Ward who was the colony's chief government architect between the wars. Interestingly he was trained in Canterbury, things like the old Kallang airport immediately made me think of Canterbury hospital. For some reason Kent was something of a hotbed of Art Deco architecture, it crops up in a lot of the seaside towns which kinda suit the style.

https://www.timeout.com/singapore/attractions/art-deco-buildings-in-singapore

Goggling "Cotton Boutique Singapore" gets one to the answer: Haji Lane. (Edited to correct to "Boutique" and "Lane" where I had inexplicably written "Exchange" and "Street.") I'll have to ask my son if they were there.
Sticking with a my son and art deco theme, my other son was married in this building in 2013:
wedding.png

Last edited:
Singapore is is. @D.B.Moody is up. Bonus points if you can name this street. It’s a short walk from the buildings pictured above.
View attachment 818725
Is this the Kampong Glam area in Singapore? Loads of outdoor bars and you have to nab a table at any bar that has one. Then it’s buckets of 6 beers unless you’re rich as a king.

Not sure which street exactly…

Back