Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Pkrd has it, this is x-arm of the Advanced LIGO gravitational-wave detector in Hanford, WA (well, the concrete cover around the beam tube, at least).

The 200 area of the Hanford nuclear reservation is on the horizon. Fun fact: the 200 area is one of the most radioactively contaminated places on Earth!

@Pkrd has it, this is x-arm of the Advanced LIGO gravitational-wave detector in Hanford, WA (well, the concrete cover around the beam tube, at least).

The 200 area of the Hanford nuclear reservation is on the horizon. Fun fact: the 200 area is one of the most radioactively contaminated places on Earth!

Thanks for that one. I hadn't looked into the LIGO infrastructure much. Incredible machines.

Here's an easy one from 9 years ago.

OverYonder - 1.jpeg

It looks to me like Nuremberg. St. Lorenz church. Never been there, never seen it before. But the U, which stands for U-bahn (the underground), was the giveaway. Only 4 German cities have a U-bahn.

While we’re on the theme of places of worship, the beer produced nearby has faithful followers. I visited, but the photo isn’t mine (mine had an all-too-obvious giveaway)
6A4D3577-5FA3-4124-87A9-5B208E6923BE.png

There don't seem to be many churches with a green, black and white patterned roof... :)

Here's my next. It's a little blurry...
20210917_202140.jpg

Phoenix, Arizona

Edit: Not a clue on bonus points. I was up on Camelback Mountain once, but it was at night. No view like that.

Last edited:
It feels familiar, like I've been there, but it doesn't trigger instant recognition in the same way as St Stephen's.

All those mansard roofs make me think of France, but it doesn't feel south-of-France. River isn't big enough to be the Loire unless we're way up in the upper reaches. Bridges look mostly post-WWII implying being bombed but that doesn't limit it too much - though it probably eliminates something like the Gironde.

Dammit... I actually looked at that stretch on Google Earth quite a while ago, but you have to get it in just the right spot before the tied-arch bridge actually looks like a tied-arch bridge. Andres's clue is just a little too on the nose :)

Back