Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a place to which I've traveled for work a couple of times over the past year, and it's always been delightful. I had one final trip coming up this summer, and I was going to take SWMBO with me, but then that blasted COVID put a stop to that.

skyline.jpg

***DING-DING-DING***

Volos it is! I thought the church might end up giving it away! I've traveled there for work twice over the past year, and we stayed in a hotel ~300 yards on the other side of that church (I think it's that darker building just on the edge of the picture). It sits right on the Pagasetic Gulf, and sitting on the hotel's back deck with a couple of Greek lagers after work was extremely pleasant.

The thing about drinking beer in Greece is that they bring you a snack/appetizer with each round, and the food gets progressively better the more rounds you order. The first round might come with a bowl of potato chips, the second might be nuts, the third could be a turkey sandwich, the fourth might be some sort of seafood dip. If you drink enough, you'll have dinner covered!

Alright, @duncan.brown, you're up (again)!

Whoa! One minute! That must be a record!

It's one of those that if you know it, you know it instantly - the combination of bridges is pretty distinctive, although it's confusing to see the Metro bridge (middle) in white, it's been blue for quite a while now.

Although arguably since Heineken moved production of Dog to the Netherlands (and a completely different recipe brewed at Lagunitas for the US market), it's no longer got quite the same claim to be a beer city....

And to be pedantic, there's many other Newcastles than the one on Tyne...

Although arguably since Heineken moved production of Dog to the Netherlands (and a completely different recipe brewed at Lagunitas for the US market), it's no longer got quite the same claim to be a beer city....

When I lived in Castle Leazes (1994), they were still brewing at the Tyne Brewery on Corporation Street. Great smell when the wind was blowing in the right direction! That picture was taken in 1999, so before most of the new development on the quayside. I haven't been back in years, but I would love to visit again.

Architecture looks fairly old-school USian, rocks look quite similar to the Hebrides - so maybe somewhere like Cape Cod?

When I lived in Castle Leazes (1994), they were still brewing at the Tyne Brewery on Corporation Street. Great smell when the wind was blowing in the right direction! That picture was taken in 1999, so before most of the new development on the quayside. I haven't been back in years, but I would love to visit again.

Woah, yep, very different now!!

Hmmm... yeah, the buildings don't look Italian. The small red lorry definitely makes it look like it's in Europe somewhere. I'm going to go the other side of the Adriatic and say Albania?

***DING-DING-DING***

Sacromonte (Granada, Spain) it is! My wife did a Spanish foreign language immersion program there for several months before her final semester of college. She absolutely loved it! I've never been to Spain, but I'm saving up to surprise her with a trip in a few years, so ***SHHH*** keep it to yourselves!

You're up, @Kharnynb!

Back