Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. My info's from Wikipedia and clearly incorrect. Following their own reference to the Encyclopedia of Alabama gives info matching your dates.

Your pics aren't showing up.
I got pictures of Currituck from googling "red brick light house" and Wikipedia on it said Sand Island was built to same plan. Wikipedia on Sand Island was poor information, but the web site for Sand Island, Alabama at Lighthousefriends.com had good info and referenced the other lighthouses built to the same plan which led me to Morris Island looking for the one in the one at Charleston. Yes, I just had to look at them all, and that's how I got the picture. :p

Last edited:
Ah, yes.

Another ruin...

Clue2.jpg

Vegetation doesn't feel right for Europe, and the architecture looks like someone has read books about French chateaux and Scottish baronial castles, but hasn't quite got it right. I'll guess eastern Canada?

The number and expanse of windows just feels wrong, so I guess glass is being made in industrial quantities by this stage, late 19th century?

Bannerman Castle(like) munitions warehouse on Pollepel Island in the Hudson River which blew up in 1920 and sustained the current level of damage in a fire in 1969.

You got it. Another castle built by a Scottish [immigrant] in the [Hudson] Highlands.

Bannerman began collecting and selling scrap as a kid in the 1860s, soon graduating to any and all military surplus. By the dawn of the 20th century he had collected so much stuff including munitions at his Manhattan warehouse the city forced him to move out.

You're up @bruce_the_loon

Well, there certainly are a lot of stone circles, but, if you look enough, you find Almendres Cromlech near Evora, Portugal. We were in Evora in 2014, but only saw new stuff in town like the remains of a Roman temple.

Well, there certainly are a lot of stone circles, but, if you look enough, you find Almendres Cromlech near Evora, Portugal. We were in Evora in 2014, but only saw new stuff in town like the remains of a Roman temple.
That modern Roman architecture is so 2000 years ago... The old stuff is so much more attractive. :p

You're up D.B.Moody.

Indeed it is, but I can't swear that she was there because we were to visit Windsor that day. You're up @DBhomebrew.

EDIT: I meant that I can't swear that the reason she was there was our scheduled visit.:)

Last edited:
Our British friends can confirm, but I believe the Royal Standard indicates the presence of the sovereign.

Quite so - and of course Windsor Castle had its own major fire in 1992, I've seen a good TV documentary about the rebuild which I don't think is this one by Prince Edward, but you get the idea :

Okay, that was tough, and, when I found it, I was surprised.
I googled "fortified castle" and got to some French castles with that smooth sided look, so I added "in France" to the search. Up came "The 12 most Beautiful Castles of Normandy" which looked promising; number 3 was Chateau de Falaise, birthplace of William the Conquer, in Normandy, France.

Back