Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oak Alley actually survived pretty well. Minimal damage as far as I know. It is to the west of the subject picture. I spent several weeks inspecting damage as an SBA employee where I took this particular picture. It was one of the few buildings that remained on its foundation and pretty much in one piece in the area.

Is it Bay St Louis , MS?

After a Google search i think it hit southern Florida, Louisiana and then Mississippi.

Buras, Louisiana it is. Some people have rebuilt there and of course the government has rebuilt the school. I guess we can call those people optimistic or something. When the storm came there was storm surge from the gulf on one side and the Mississippi river backed up by storm surge on the other, so water over topped the levies on both sides and the area got mixed up like a washing machine. Most houses got lifted up off their foundations and moved into debris piles. I don't think there were more than a handful of buildings that were not a 100% loss. I inspected one two story house that stayed on its foundation. The water got two feet deep on the second story.

As long as some people think they stand to win from climate change, we’re all in trouble (and yes, I know that it is very difficult to definitively link any single weather event to climate change, but still.)

If this means it’s my turn, I’m sure many of the people pictured below do believe they stand to win. I was surprised I couldn’t spot any obvious flags, because the event taking place here, in 2007, is rather patriotic.
5F0AC396-DCA7-46E5-B67E-FBEB59BC23C3.jpeg

It’s already Wednesday and no takers so far? I hope you’re all having a well-deserved break. If anyone posts a question or a guess, I’ll share more info and images.

That is Vingis Park in Vilnius, Lithuania. We spent three nights in Vilnius in 2012. While there we were treated to balloons flying by our balcony window and fireworks being shot off from the roof of city hall just across the alley from that balcony. The balloons take off from Vingis Park, but we didn't actually visit it. The fireworks had something to do with an Olympics victory. The start of a great trip.

Last edited:
That is, indeed, “Vingio Parkas”, in Vilnius. The first picture was taken during the Lithuanian Song Festival, which takes place roughly every four years, and brings song and dance groups from every town in the country as well as from the sizeable worldwide diaspora. It’s yours, @D.B.Moody!

0001 Cemetery Lane

I love your answer, but no. Wrong coast if you're thinking New Jersey. Not the midwest if you're thinking Chicago. Your reaction may be why they painted it. It's an Inn and now looks like this (not my picture):

now.png

I do not know if cousin Itt works there.

Last edited:
Eureka! You're up @DBhomebrew.
We didn't stay at the Carter House, but it's one of the iconic Queen Anne houses in Eureka. I think I liked the way I saw it in the 1995 Addams Family version better than today's namby pamby yellow. Thank you, @InspectorJon for noting it.

I'll say Boston, MA, but I don't know where the picture taker was standing. I think that's the Tobin Bridge over the Mystic River, and maybe that's the Bunker Hill monument peeking up there on the left.

I'll say Boston, MA, but I don't know where the picture taker was standing. I think that's the Tobin Bridge over the Mystic River, and maybe that's the Bunker Hill monument peeking up there on the left.

Indeed. Looking across Boston Harbor toward Easty. Yes, the Bunker Hill Monument and the Tobin. Logan is over on the right somewhere.

Vantage point is the Seaport District from inside the Institute of Contemporary Art underneath its brow. When I lived in Boston, its theatre (below, under the brow to the right) was one of my main, and absolutely favorite, places to work.

This is an old pic, the ICA is now surrounded and dwarfed by gawdawful high rise condos.

ICA.jpg

Because my older son went to college in Cambridge and my younger son worked for a time at a school in Weston, we've been to Boston a lot. My great great great great grandfather was wounded at Bunker Hill.

This is from 2008, a city a bit older than Boston:
2008.png

Roma est.

I don't know anything about the baths you mentioned.. My picture is labeled "View of Palatine Hill from the Colosseum" and is in sequence with being at the Colosseum. You made me look, and the primary thing in the picture is actually the Temple of Venus and Roma on a small hill next to the Palatine Hill.

BTW: I met my wife because I sat behind her in 9th grade Latin class more than 50 years before we visited Rome and took that picture.:p

Anyway, you're up @govner1.

Roma est.

I don't know anything about the baths you mentioned.. My picture is labeled "View of Palatine Hill from the Colosseum" and is in sequence with being at the Colosseum. You made me look, and the primary thing in the picture is actually the Temple of Venus and Roma on a small hill next to the Palatine Hill.

BTW: I met my wife because I sat behind her in 9th grade Latin class more than 50 years before we visited Rome and took that picture.:p

Anyway, you're up @govner1.

The entrance to the forum is to the left and many concerts have been held in the “half” dome structure on the right/background.
I was lucky enough to live in Rome 69-70 and have fortunately been back reasonably often.
Next pic up tomorrow since dinner is ready.

Sand Island Light House, in the Gulf of Mexico, Alabama.
Looking for "red brick lighthouse" gets one that looks just like it, but not on a tiny island. So that took some investigating to find a twin.

Sand Island Light House, in the Gulf of Mexico, Alabama.
Looking for "red brick lighthouse" gets one that looks just like it, but not on a tiny island. So that took some investigating to find a twin.

You got it.

This light is one of the most endangered lighthouses in the USA. Erosion is erasing the little Sand Island. Some measures have been taken to prevent it such as the rocks you see, but they haven't been too effective. In 2011, a new 15 acre island built of dredged sand was completed. Less than a year later, Hurricane Isaac took care of that.

This tower was completed in 1864 to replace the 1859 tower that Fort Morgan destroyed in 1863. Union soldiers had been seen using the tower as an observatory post. The 1859 tower was itself a replacement for the first one built in 1837.

Edit: See below for more accurate info.

I took the pic in 2016 while our fishing guide was deciding where he wanted to go. On the other side of the tower I pulled up a fish that fed six hungry adults and a handful of kids.

Where to next, @D.B.Moody?!

Last edited:
In my investigation, I got an 1873 date for the current Sand Island Lighthouse. Built to same plan as the Currituck (North Carolina)) and Morris Island (South Carolina) lights
twins.png

and another that is fully painted. The first picture is the one that came up for the "red brick lighthouse" search that started my investigation. Anyway, @DBhomebrew, what's next is another tower by water that's in need of repair:

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Back