Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really a "skyline" but I'll play If you have ever been here you will know this right off.

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20160710_152140734.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468963729.948039.jpg

Try this one. I took this in 2011, and I apologize that it's not really a skyline, but we seem to be gettin more and more obscure so here's this.

If you've been there, this is probably insanely easy. If you've never heard of this place, you're probably going to think that it is in the wrong country.

View attachment 362743

Try this one. I took this in 2011, and I apologize that it's not really a skyline, but we seem to be gettin more and more obscure so here's this.

If you've been there, this is probably insanely easy. If you've never heard of this place, you're probably going to think that it is in the wrong country.

Solvang?

View attachment 362743

I see you're from GA. Is that Oktoberfest in Helen, GA?

No to all of the above.. And just for clarification I posted because I got the correct answer to Taipei... Sorry if I added to the thread confusion

Helen, GA is nowhere close geographically but the spirit is the same. (Incidentally, I live 30 minutes from Helen).

You nailed the Oktoberfest part though

No to all of the above.. And just for clarification I posted because I got the correct answer to Taipei... Sorry if I added to the thread confusion

Helen, GA is nowhere close geographically but the spirit is the same. (Incidentally, I live 30 minutes from Helen).

You nailed the Oktoberfest part though

I suggested Solvang because the mountains looked more California than Georgia... And the architecture reminds me of Solvang.

I suggested Solvang because the mountains looked more California than Georgia... And the architecture reminds me of Solvang.

I just googled solvang.. I'd never heard of it, but yeah I can definitely see the resemblance. This place is closer to Solvang than Helen and has the same feel as both.

@TheMadKing just sat down at my computer and saw the last skyline you posted. Knew that one straight off as I have relatives that live on the other side of Unicoi. What were you doing there in 2011?

@TheMadKing just sat down at my computer and saw the last skyline you posted. Knew that one straight off as I have relatives that live on the other side of Unicoi. What were you doing there in 2011?

Sorry man, fooled you, haha that's not Helen.

Is it Vail CO? Or maybe the upper little village by Ski Incline in Incline Village NV?

Cheers
Jay

Nope neither of those

This photo was taken on October 13th and it was cold enough to snow at night.

It is also the largest Oktoberfest celebration outside of Munich.... That probably gives it away

Ah now that you say that, I bet it's Leavenworth, WA. I remember reading how Leavenworth was modeled after Solvang or something, and I know Leavenworth has a big Oktoberfest culture. Never been though so I'm not sure if that's it or not. Definitely reminds me of Vail though.

Ah now that you say that, I bet it's Leavenworth, WA. I remember reading how Leavenworth was modeled after Solvang or something, and I know Leavenworth has a big Oktoberfest culture. Never been though so I'm not sure if that's it or not. Definitely reminds me of Vail though.

Yep! MagicMatt is up

Leavenworth Oktoberfest was a family tradition for 7 years running.. It's a massive festival, crazy hats, all imported true Oktoberfest beers, bands from Germany.. A great party

The town is also one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Especially the alpine lakes wilderness (nicknamed the Enchantments) in those mountains.. Glaciers, treeless crags, mountain goats, turquoise water in every lake.. Its an amazing place

OK here's one. Not sure if it's been done before as I just found this thread. But here it is anyhow. There's nothing too distinguishing in the skyline itself, but the vast amount of water in the foreground may give it away. This pic was taken from across 25 miles of water.

2.03--Skyline-05.jpg

OK here's one. Not sure if it's been done before as I just found this thread. But here it is anyhow. There's nothing too distinguishing in the skyline itself, but the vast amount of water in the foreground may give it away. This pic was taken from across 25 miles of water.

Going to throw out Galveston TX, from an oil rig?

I've never been there, have no idea really.

Nope and nope (and nope).

Here's a hint: the body of water is the 2nd largest salt water lake in the US. It also has the longest continuous bridge over water in the world.

Because of the curvature of the Earth, there's a significant landmark that you can't see that would give it away. If no one guesses by morning I'll post a closer pic, from about the middle of the lake.

NOLA, across the Pontchartrain

Can't believe it was ever clear enough to see NOLA from the North Shore.

Let me guess the Superdome was the landmark to give it away?

Oh, you are good...

I was aided by the fact I lived in NOLA for 5 years, and had a sailboat on Lake Pontchartrain. I was fooled at first as I thought the lake was brackish. The final hint was his NOLA Mocha Breakfast Stout on his tap list. NOLA is not known for big beers so if you were to name a beer after it you are probably from there.

I would like to add a new spin to this game. If your correct, tell us how you figured it out. Been there, Recognize from Picture, Google-Fu, Clues.

Provided it is NOLA, I have been there but aided by the hidden clue in MagicMatt's profile.

Ha indeed it is NOLA. And yep the landmark was the Superdome.

I even removed my location ("Crescent City") before posting so as to not give it away....forgot to check my signature!

Lake Pontchartrain is indeed brackish, but any presence of salt makes it a salt water lake (as opposed to fresh water, which it certainly is not). If we want to nitpick, technically it is not a true lake but an estuary. :off:

My NOLA Mocha Breakfast Stout is named so because it's my base breakfast stout (otameal, chocolate, coffee) but with added bourbon, oak, and chicory. I.E. breakfast in NOLA!

You're up Photopilot.

Back