Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without the NOLA hint I would have eventually puzzled it together or at least really felt stupid if I did not.

I got a few photos of this "Skyline"/city. Figured more than a few have been here. Clues to follow if no one gets it.

IMG_0222.jpg

I'm going to say Cabo San Lucas...

As for the "how"...

It definitely looks like a West Coast beach... SoCal or south based on topography. You said "more than a few have been here", so I immediately figured it was a tourist destination. From there I figured it was Puerto Vallarta or Cabo as the most popular vacation destinations outside of Cancun, which I'm guessing looks completely different.

Add a few quick google image searches, and as best as I can tell, it's Cabo.

Cabo it is.

If you are going to use google image search before placing your bet I am going to have to make my photos more obscure.

Your up.

As far as I know, the largest Oktoberfest outside of Germany is in Canada. Kitchener/Waterloo to be precise.

Yep, a quick search agrees with you. Leavenworth, WA makes that claim because they have 50,000 people/day over 3 separate weekends during October, so I guess they are counting cumulative visitors vs total in a single day?

River in photos looks to narrow to be the Rhine. I am looking at smaller rivers. It's hard because the borders around Germany are all over the map. I wonder why?

I'm never using bing. That settled it.

Oh, and you're wrong.

Is it Cocham on the Moselle river?

Basis: Nuremburg is only slightly closer than Zurich, and it is to the northeast of Zurich, therefore this town must be in the west of Germany which is nearly equidistant from both cities.

The Moselle river, which is smaller than the Rhine (and I agree that it doesn't look like the Rhine) is the boarder between Germany and Belgium.

I Googled historic cities on the Moselle, and Cocham came up as a popular sight, as well as having similar architecture, a building on a hill, and a steeple similar to the one in the center of the photo.

I still don't think this is right though

Is it Cocham on the Moselle river?

Basis: Nuremburg is only slightly closer than Zurich, and it is to the northeast of Zurich, therefore this town must be in the west of Germany which is nearly equidistant from both cities.

The Moselle river, which is smaller than the Rhine (and I agree that it doesn't look like the Rhine) is the boarder between Germany and Belgium.

I Googled historic cities on the Moselle, and Cocham came up as a popular sight, as well as having similar architecture, a building on a hill, and a steeple similar to the one in the center of the photo.

I still don't think this is right though

Incorrect.

I'm about to get on a plane for a few hours, so guess away 😁

Can you splurge on internet on the plane so if someone get's it right we aren't left hanging.

I just solved my connectivity issues and can't wait to try out Bing Maps.;)

lol... so uh... you use Bing huh?...

*breaks out in hysterical laughter*

:off:
I have a friend who works at Bing. On Facebook, she's always telling people to "Google it" and such. I once asked her "don't you mean 'Bing it'? won't Microsoft get upset with you?"......her response was that they actually used Google at work.

So apparently Bing doesn't even use Bing.

I can't find a city that matches the info given, but one key thing to note is the position of the sun in relation to the river. The border must lie in an east-west direction, at least at the point the photo was taken. It also looks like a sunset to me rather than a sunrise, so I'm banking on the town depicted laying to the north of said border. The river looks like it bends north both in the foreground and background, indicating an slight "U" shape around this town.

So apparently Bing doesn't even use Bing.

I remember when Bing first came out Google did a search and found out the Bing was actually using Google search engine for their results.

I would like to see a better map than Google's though. I wish the map let you toggle on and off features to make small rivers along borders easier to find. I want my money back from Google.

I can't find a city that matches the info given, but one key thing to note is the position of the sun in relation to the river. The border must lie in an east-west direction, at least at the point the photo was taken. It also looks like a sunset to me rather than a sunrise, so I'm banking on the town depicted laying to the north of said border. The river looks like it bends north both in the foreground and background, indicating an slight "U" shape around this town.

It was nearing sunset, and I was looking across the river from the country on the opposite border, yes. And this was a panorama shot, so don't allow the strange perspective of panorama photos to cloud your judgement.

But I would agree your rough statements about the directions involved are accurate.

I enjoy the challenge of this game but my attention span is way shorter than some challenges. If I can't figure it out in five minutes of effort I am hoping someone has been shows up and moves the game along. On the other hand I was hoping North Platte Nebraska would pose more of a challenge. :confused:

It's not on the Czech border with Austria, no...

But I'll give another hint that it's on the Austrian border with somewhere...

Hohensalzburg Castle in Salzburg!!!

I looked at a map of Austrian castles and there's only 4 on the borders, 2 are on the czech border, 1 was German, and 1 was Hungary. I thought germany was more likely and used google maps to see which city was built on a river on the border of germany and austria (Salzburg) and found this castle in the top 10 sights of the city list.

Did a google image search to verify and I believe I have it! Good one!

For those of you guys that are purely guessing on these locales, you're pretty good at this game. But if you're using google and you can't get most of these in about 5 seconds (literally), you're doing something wrong. This goes for the last picture posted.

Anyway, I thought using google, or even looking at the poster's prior threads/posts, etc, was cheating per the OP.

Back