Nail Polish Remover flavor in IPA. What is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EyePeeA

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that I have enjoyed my homebrewed IPAs very much. However, I have noticed something detracting when I taste them side-by-side with other commercial IPAs. That is, I can sense a nail polish remover type of flavor in my beers.

I am attributing it to poor yeast processes on my part. My go to yeast has mainly been WLP001, but I have also noticed this off-flavor with other English and American ale strains. Therefore, I do not think it is a strain specific defect, but rather homebrewer error somewhere during fermentation.

I always make what I believe to be a healthy yeast starter, as per mrmalty. My typical fermentation schedule is 60-63 degrees F for the first 10 days. Then, 68-70 degrees F for another 14 days (with the dryhop throw in there during the tail end).

Maybe I'm not pitching enough yeast, or not holding accurate ferm. temps, or stressing the yeast for the worse in some way or another? I'm really at a loss because most of my beers taste rather good despite this weird flavor that I always seem to notice. Any insight, or ways to do things differently, without spending a ton of money on extra equipment would be appreciated.

BJCP Beer Faults

Take a look though this chart. It should help you narrow down what may the problem with your beers.

A solvent flavor could be related to too high a fermentation temp or not enough yeast.

Medicinal (Chlorophenolic) might have to do with your water source, excessive use of whole hops, or an infection.

Good luck.

Wow, I never knew that excessive use of whole leaf hops presented a problem in regard to medicinal off flavors. I have definitely abused the amount of whole leaf hops in some of my IPAs. I wonder why that is, and why it's not the same for pellet hops. Nevertheless, I'm not getting so much medicinal-ness. It's more solvent-related.

Warm fermentation is definitely not the issue. If anything, I thought a lower fermentation would be the culprit, as it shows in the solvent/fusel descriptor. I have been hitting 80% plus attenuation every time, but I guess it's time to try a slightly higher ferm. temperature and see if that corrects this solvent-like flavor.

I have been using a mixture of half city tap and half bottled water. This mixture is better than my pure city tap, but it requires a bit of calcium and sulfate adjustment for IPAs. So I've been adding some Gypsum and Calcium Chloride to correct that problem. Should I invest in Campden tablets as well?

If you are using unfiltered tap water then Chlorophenols are likely your problem. They are extremely unpleasant, especially with hoppy beers.

I have been using a mixture of half city tap and half bottled water. This mixture is better than my pure city tap, but it requires a bit of calcium and sulfate adjustment for IPAs. So I've been adding some Gypsum and Calcium Chloride to correct that problem. Should I invest in Campden tablets as well?

I would suggest using pure RO water for your next brew with 1 tsp of calcium chloride dihydrate for each 5 gallons treated. Add 2% sauermalz to the grist.

This way you can isolate if the problem is with your tap water.

This comes from the water chemistry primer by A J DeLange here.

Don't try to get too fancy with mineral additions. After a pure RO brew with Calcium Chloride, you can try adding back some tap water if you so desire. Treat the tap water with 1 campden tablet per 20 gallons to reduce chloramines.

I would say to just use RO rather than messing with tap water. It is inexpensive to purchase and you can get a small RO system for your house for not too much money.

Sounds like tap water could be a cause. One easy solution could be to use a water filter with your tap water and see if that makes a difference.

Back