My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not a penis, it's one of those contraptions for women who want to stand to pee.

+1 on the lifetime ugly junk prize.

Oh god, you're right! It is the SHENIS....

d977e25a19e7f77a7c859290969d9b3c.jpg

In fact for those of you without 3d printers....... Just sayin.... :D

Does anyone get metal shavings from their mill? I got a new "Victoria" mill and tested with some dried beans but I get a lot of fine shiny zinc dusts in the ground. Not sure if i want to rustproof my beers just yet. maybe wirebrush away the zinc coating on the grind plate?

My 15 dollar mill is on the way. Starting to sort through the junk pile for parts to my ugly duckling.

Thanks for the inspiration!

My mill arrived today! Had to straighten out a couple small dents in the hopper and the casting on the grinder wheel is far from perfect, but for 15 bucks delivered I am happy.

Did a quick setup on a makeshift table (pallet top on sawhorses), and did a test grind with a handful of barely. Grind is very fine and should be perfect for BIAB. What do you think?

View attachment 1504320357193.jpg

View attachment 1504320370380.jpg

My automated imitation corona grinder. :) Works great for my needs, I use two 5 gallon buckets... I can post more pictures if anyone is interestedIMAG0400.jpg full]547444[/ATTACH]

My mill arrived today! Had to straighten out a couple small dents in the hopper and the casting on the grinder wheel is far from perfect, but for 15 bucks delivered I am happy.

Did a quick setup on a makeshift table (pallet top on sawhorses), and did a test grind with a handful of barely. Grind is very fine and should be perfect for BIAB. What do you think?

I don't think that looks very fine? Looks to be some whole kernels remaining???

Pictures lie sometimes, are there whole kernels in the grist? If yes, tighten the mil and repeat....

I don't think that looks very fine? Looks to be some whole kernels remaining???

Pictures lie sometimes, are there whole kernels in the grist? If yes, tighten the mil and repeat....

I agree with wilserbrewer, this doesn't look fine. Check the whole looking kernels and see if the husk is broken. For BIAB, I would tighten it up more so there are very few full husks even if they are cracked. You are not really concerned with being fine. That is a concern with traditional sparging where too fine may keep the sparge water from moving through the grain bed.

I'm uploading some pictures trying to show how cutting up one bucket to hold the Corona Grinder and using the bottom half to create Cover Shield...I'm able to interchange the bottom collection buckets, (these are unmolested buckets, and just change out) as these are ordinary 5 gallon stackable buckets. :) a bucket will hold roughly 20 lbs. of milled grains (depending on how fine they are ground) It's easy to just swap out the collection buckets when filled
Exploded View.jpg Middle underside view.jpg Collection Bucket swap.jpg Splash Cover Attached.jpg

Last edited:
For years I had my mill clamped to the corner of one of my workbenches in the basement feeding to a bucket on the shelf below.

I moved and had to start all over. First was just a board over a bucket. That got me through 2 brew sessions but I needed something more permanent and stable so I got a couple of pallets and other salvaged wood. I made this:
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1741.JPG

Only costs, 4 hinges, magnetic latch, screws and a foil roaster pan ($1 at Dollar General) to make a guard over the grinding plates.

edit 2/25/18 After using the new cabinet, the grain dust came through the gaps between the boards, so I bought some self adhesive shelf paper to line the interior and door sweeps for the doors. I need to install them the another brew day soon.

Last edited:
Here's my motorized junk mill from the idea shamelessly stolen from an article by Gabriel Du Sablon published to Homebrewtalk concerning the use of a motor/gearbox from a kids toy car to drive a roller mill. Between the motor/gearbox and the power supply I have less than $50 invested. Made the stand with scrap wood I had laying around.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 325
Finally got around to upgrading the hopper, so nice to get the full grain bill all at once. Beersmith measured 89% mash efficiency for this batch. Im a happy camper.View attachment 553600
How do you get the grain out of the bucket after? I cut the bottom of the bucket out and drop it into a second bucket. That way when you are done you just lift the mill bucket off and have a full one underneath

You remove the hopper and bucket lid and pour the grain out same as you would with any bucket.

A little more difficult than the bottomless bucket, but I don’t like the bottomless bucket set up because you can’t set it down without marking a spot with grain dust.

Of course you can set it in another empty bucket, but then your into a 3 bucket rig too much imo.

I like a single bucket jmo

Last edited:
You remove the hopper and bucket lid and pour the grain out same as you would with any bucket.

A little more difficult than the bottomless bucket, but I don’t like the bottomless bucket set up because you can’t set it down without marking a spot with grain dust.

Of course you can set it in another empty bucket, but then your into a 3 bucket rig too much imo.

I like a single bucket jmo
I measure my grain into a bucket, pour into hopper. The top part of the mill now goes into the already soiled grain bucket. lifting the whole bucket, mill (-hopper) and pouring past the mill seems like it would be heavy and cumbersome IMHO. To each his/her own I guess.

I measure my grain into a bucket, pour into hopper.

I calibrated my 5 gallon hopper by volume and measure my base grain by volume into the hopper, so the additional bucket doesn’t exist.

Both work well and I can perhaps see the benefit of using three buckets.

Perhaps I’m becoming a stubborn old man and can’t admit someone improved the original corona mill bucket design, lol not that old yet cheers!
wilser

I calibrated my 5 gallon hopper by volume and measure my base grain by volume into the hopper, so the additional bucket doesn’t exist.

Both work well and I can perhaps see the benefit of using three buckets.

Perhaps I’m becoming a stubborn old man and can’t admit someone improved the original corona mill bucket design, lol not that old yet cheers!
wilser
I say use whatever works for you, each way is a means to getting milled grain into the mash tun (or grain bag). Actually just inherited a Millar's B3 mill so I think the Corona is going into semi-retirement lol.

How do you get the grain out of the bucket after? I cut the bottom of the bucket out and drop it into a second bucket. That way when you are done you just lift the mill bucket off and have a full one underneath

Yeah what wilser said, I remove the hopper and lid and then pour into another bucket. I may try the bottomless bucket, eventually I want to make a cabinet for it. I will say the 3 batches Ive done since getting the mill Ive had 81%, 89% and 84% mash efficiency, full volume BIAB.

I prefer the bottomless bucket method with the mill mounted permanently to the top bucket... Then it's just a matter of swapping out the bottom buckets. the bottom that was cut out of the "bottomless" bucket is then used as a grain shield.

You are getting awesome efficiency.

Last edited:
I measure my grain into a bucket, pour into hopper. The top part of the mill now goes into the already soiled grain bucket. lifting the whole bucket, mill (-hopper) and pouring past the mill seems like it would be heavy and cumbersome IMHO. To each his/her own I guess.
This is the process I use as well. Works well for me! :mug:

I finally gave up on finding a second hand cheap corona around here and so just today ended up ordering one off Amazon.

Looking forward to setting it up (thinking I'll try the "bottomless bucket" design), getting the mill adjusted, and giving it a try. Have been having challenges with efficiency so Im hoping crushing my own grain will help.

Question... For testing the mill adjustment am I best off buying a lb of grain to test with, or is there any other way to gauge where I want the mill set?

Last edited:
I finally gave up on finding a second hand cheap corona around here and so just today ended up ordering one off Amazon.

Looking forward to setting it up (thinking I'll try the "bottomless buck" design), getting the mill adjusted, and giving it a try. Have been having challenges with efficiency so Im hoping crushing my own grain will help.

Question... For testing the mill adjustment am I best off buying a lb of grain to test with, or is there any other way to gauge where I want the mill set?
Due to the crude castings and rude machining, every Corona-type mill is a new adventure. You just have to grind a few ounces at a time til it looks right. It took three tries on my Victoria, and I've never touched it since. Good luck!

You don’t really need “grain to test with”, if a small amount is too coarse just run it through the mill again.

Keep grinding until there are few if any whole kernels, let that be your guide, and don’t fear some flour, a good crush should contain some flour imo.

Oh yeah... That's a good point. Derp. Lol. I was thinking I'd be running grain through to test and tossing that grain away.

Sometimes I question how my brain works. Hahahaha.

Thanks.

Due to the crude castings and rude machining, every Corona-type mill is a new adventure. You just have to grind a few ounces at a time til it looks right. It took three tries on my Victoria, and I've never touched it since. Good luck!

You don’t really need “grain to test with”, if a small amount is too coarse just run it through the mill again.

Keep grinding until there are few if any whole kernels, let that be your guide, and don’t fear some flour, a good crush should contain some flour imo.

For me, I took a handful, ran it through, adjusted, ran another handful, adjusted, ran another handful. I forget how many trials 6 years ago. Locked it down and left it alone. Made a move last November and a new stand in January, new trials and adjustments with layers of plastic and washers, locked it down. After the trials run the grain through again and brew away!

Pictures of my setup is post #2053

Those that have their mill mounted in/on a bucket (or other), do you take the mill out to clean it? Or is cleaning it actually a necessary thing?

My mill is mounted in a bottomless bucket, with the tp of the mill casting level with a hole in the top of the bucket. To clean, I remove the top and blow everything out with compressed air. Outdoors, of course. Be sure to hold your breath. I do this before and after milling.

OK. I don't have anything fancy shmancy like an air compressor, but I can probably get er done with some inverted banging. lol

Main thing is, I'm not needing to actually wash it, good to know.

Last edited:
I think I clean my corona mill bi annually whether it needs it or not.

That usually coincides with a little maintenance.

A good shake and a hand slap to free up the dust is all that’s required imo.

OK. I don't have anything fancy shmancy like an air compressor, but I can probably get er done with some inverted banging. lol

Main thing is, I'm not needing to actually wash it, good to know.

Moisture would be bad. Leads to rusting.

I've had mine for 4 years and have yet to give it a thorough cleaning. As wilser said, a few good hand bumps and shakes and you're good to go...

I'm standing in Home Depot about to grab a couple 5 gallon homer buckets for building my ugly junk once the mill arrives... But realized I don't actually know how big these mills are.

Are the 5 gal homer buckets big enough for these mills to fit down into? Or are people using larger, maybe 6 gal buckets.

These homers look narrow to me.

Are the 5 gal homer buckets big enough for these mills to fit down into? Or are people using larger, maybe 6 gal buckets.
AFAIK all home center 5 gallon pails are the same size, and should be big enough.

Latest posts

Back