My Grain Mill Cabinet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
It isn't anything most of you haven't seen before - but a slightly different implementation:

Untitled by brewerJP, on Flickr

Basically I wanted to keep the top surface minus where the hopper comes through clear so that I could use it for something else - like a stir place for example. Inside on the left I'll have my 5-gallon bucket (have to build a riser for it to get it closer to the mill output) and on the right side I'll probably put a couple shelves in for storing things like my grain scale. I finished the front off with a bronzed plexiglass for no other reason than I that's the way I wanted it to look :) The side has a stainless steel standard sized blank switch plate that I've made a cut of for a IEC power connector - and I'll drill a hole for a DPDT center-off switch (obviously only half used - RadioCrap didn't have SPDT switches I liked). The entire shelf that supports the mill and motor is easily removable so I can work on it outside the cabinet.

The mill is a Barley Crusher with the 15lb hopper - with the LoveJoy spider and couplings and finally the ubiquitous-standard motor from Surplus Center.

Ideas on how to finish the cabinet off!?

Basically I wanted to keep the top surface minus where the hopper comes through clear so that I could use it for something else - like a stir place for example. QUOTE] Assuming you mean stir plate isn't that a big no no...yeast/starters near your grain?

Basically I wanted to keep the top surface minus where the hopper comes through clear so that I could use it for something else - like a stir place for example.
Assuming you mean stir plate isn't that a big no no...yeast/starters near your grain?

Yes, for lacto avoidance, that's the commonly accepted wisdom...

Cheers!

I didn't mean to imply I'd be stirring at the same time I'm milling if that's how it came across. It was just to illustrate keeping the top free of mechanics/electronics so it could still be used for something.

Very well done, nothing like any other mill station I've seen. Is your house filled with home made furniture?

Much appreciated! Anyone got any comments on finishing the outside? The only idea I've gotten so far is to stain it black.

Much appreciated! Anyone got any comments on finishing the outside? The only idea I've gotten so far is to stain it black.

I would just paint it black, but that's me. I painted all the wood trim in my brew shed black and it looks awesome.

_

Ya that would be simplest for sure. I'll probably end up doing something like that in the end but I still welcome any other ideas!

Thanks guys.

After the whole build project being on hold for many months I'm happy to report I've finally finished at least one major component!

Door closed:

Untitled by brewerJP

Door open, slide out shelf:

Untitled by brewerJP

Closeup of motor (capacitor is behind the motor - strapped down with a simple aluminum strip, 2 screws, polycarb as a standoff and coated in plasti-dip):

Untitled by brewerJP

Control (horrible lighting: but basically a SPDT center-off switch and an IEC panel mount connector on a dirty stainless cover):

Untitled by brewerJP

Eventually I'll paint it black but that is not important at the moment! Two unintentional but pleasant side effects of this design: 1) It's quiet with the door closed - shockingly so. 2) The area under the buckets just happened to be high enough for a couple lids! Storage is a premium so it's the little things.

Nice build, im thinking of doing something similar. I have some questions, im not much of a sparky. why the capacitor, is it for motor startup. Also could you tell me the type of motor? Did it come with the gear reduction or is that seperate?

The capacitor is indeed for easing motor startup. Surplus Center used to carry these motors (5-1098, low rpm high torque and CW/CCW operation) motors and they included the capacitor. They no longer carry these so I'm not really sure what people are using now.

It does not come with the couplings - those are purchased separately and in two pieces (each side's diameter).

Thank you very much for the info. Im sure I can find a similar setup maybe from grainger. Unfortunately I'll be using a corona mill :( instead of that nice piece you have. So I am figuring on using a pulley setup instead of a coupler. Great info and much appreciated.

Dude....nice job! I will definitely be picking your brain and stealing a couple of your ideas. As soon as I finish my ferm. chambers....it's onto the grain weighing and milling station. Very inspiring! :mug:

Thanks - much appreciated! Pick away - happy to help any way I can.

Dude....nice job! I will definitely be picking your brain and stealing a couple of your ideas. As soon as I finish my ferm. chambers....it's onto the grain weighing and milling station. Very inspiring! :mug:

Hey there, know this is an old thread, but I wanted to come and thank you for the inspiration. Finally found a mill cabinet design I really liked.

Really happy with how mine turned out. I did add some LED lights shining into the bucket so I can see when it's getting full. Also moved the switch to the top because I don't want my babies to reach it and put another wall to hide the wiring.
20210206_180321.jpg
20210206_180349.jpg

That's a pretty slick looking design. I drew my plans up on my whiteboard table in my garage. Make sure to post your results to keep the thread alive!

how ya gonna crank that handle??? hah ha ha....where's the motor?
LOL...yeah, that will be a problem. Motor? Well....since SWMBO recently said, “You’re the only person I know that can take something that was free (the grain mill) and turn into something that’s expensive.”....I may have to let the grain dust settle before getting a motor...So...Harbor Freight drill it is!

Back