Motorizing Corona style mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyacovett

Reaction score
I have a corona style mill. I made the milling station in a bucket. My issue is that my cordless drill doesn't quite have enough juice to grind all the grains. Usually gives up on me with a pound or two left (this is using both batteries). I have an old corded black and decker drill, but that doesn't do it either.

So here is my idea. I am a wood turner. I want to hook up my lathe to the corona mill. My idea is to place the bucket on the bed of the lathe. run the motor at the slowest speed (about 400 rpm). Put my drill chuck in the head stock of the lathe, and attach my 4 jaw chuck to the corona mill. I Can pull the tailstock of the lathe up to hold the bucket in place.

Does this seem like a reasonable idea?? Or does anyone else have an idea on how I can utilize my lathe to power my mill?

Interesting concept. Assuming that the headstock of your lathe can be lined up concentric with the shaft of the Corona, you should be good to go. The slowest available RPMs sound a bit on the high side from what I've read, but not that much. I use an old all metal Craftsman 1/2" AC drill to power my Corona, and no issues. I'd still like to have an integral motor setup, but I haven't found anything suitable that's less than three times what I have in the whole Corona setup now, and brewing maybe 60-70 gallons of beer a year, that ain't happening.

personally, I'd see that as a perfect justification for why I 'need' to go buy that new 18V LIon cordless tool set, but I guess I'm just a tool junkie.

I see no reason why that couldn't work, provided your lathe is torquie enough (I'd guess a 1/2 HP motor would be plenty, but 1/4 HP might be a little on the low side)

I think 400 RPM is awfully fast for a corona, what with the nylon bushing the handle end of the shaft rides in. Personally I'm looking at a windshield wiper motor to motorize mine since my 12 year old daughter no longer thinks it is fun to hand crank it for me. I figure when I hand crank it I'm only get 50 or so RPM (maybe faster at the beginning) so a windshield wiper motor should be fast enough.

Here is the one I am considering: http://monsterguts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4

Although I'm still trying to guesstimate if that is enough torque.

I am confused....You own a lathe but don't own a cordless drill strong enough for your mill???....I will trade you my drill for your lathe. :D

do you have a torque wrench? You could probably measure the torque requirements of your mill by dialling in a setting, and seeing if your wrench 'clicks' under startup load when you first start to crank the mill over. Start high and progressively reduce the setting until you find the minimum point.

Better yet would be a torque wrench with a gauge and a pointer like this mofo: http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...a=X&ei=F7K0TOGYOI6asAO4joTiCA&ved=0CEMQ9QEwBQ

Then add a working safety factor - say an extra 30%

I think 400 RPM is awfully fast for a corona, what with the nylon bushing the handle end of the shaft rides in. Personally I'm looking at a windshield wiper motor to motorize mine since my 12 year old daughter no longer thinks it is fun to hand crank it for me. I figure when I hand crank it I'm only get 50 or so RPM (maybe faster at the beginning) so a windshield wiper motor should be fast enough.

Here is the one I am considering: http://monsterguts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4

As I stated in an earlier post, I've been trying to find an affordable solution to motorizing my Corona, and a wiper motor has looked to be my best bet. I already have a monster 25A 12V supply. The unit you're looking at is not quite 50 inch/pounds......which, from what I've read, means it's pretty borderline. I've been looking at wiper units from semis, which pack more torque.

The cordless drill is strong enough, just doesn't have enough juice to go through all of it. And my corded just isn't strong enough ... that just baffles me.

The lathe has more than enough torque. It's got a 1.5 hp motor. I've turned green (wet) black walnut bowls on it, 16 inches in diameter 8 inches deep. if it can turn that hunk of wood with me holding a gouge to it ... it can mill barley.

As for the speed. The drill I use operates at 0 - 400 on low and 400 - 1500 on high. I usually run it on low, but will definitely run it on high if I just want to get it done. I think that 400 should be fine. Maybe I'll rig something up tonight and give it a shot.

I can either put a drill chuck right in the head stock and make a stand for the mill, rotate the headstock and set the mill up next to the lathe, so it will be a direct drive from the lathe spindle, or I can use a belt to drive the mill. I think the direct drive may be easier though.

Gave this a test run last night. I turned the headstock 180. Put a small workbench there. When I put the bucket on that bench, it was about 1 inch too low, I put a few scrap pine boards underneath the bucket ... perfect. Put my MT2 drill chuck in the lathe spindle, and cranked her up. Works great. I did have to hold the bucket in place to keep enough pressure to drive the grinder, but I will just have to rig something up to hold it in place. Very cool, I am quite pleased with how well it works.

I like your earlier idea of going out and buying another drill with more power. You can never have enough tools.

Back