My hops'll beat up your hops!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
Just had to post a pic of the top of the bine on my mature cascade. I'll start harvesting within the next week. This plant would have been so full of cones this year, had it not been for the storm that removed the growth tips in early June. As it is I should still get enough for a couple of batches of IPA.

The top of my cascade always has a couple monsters like this, feel free to add pics of your own.

DSC00459.jpg

:eek: Holy mother of......I think you might be able to brew an IPA on just one of those cones by itself. Good lord. I can only hope by plants one day produce a monster like that. Next year, I'll compete.

All 4 varieties of my second year hops have some whopper cones. I'm not sure if they quite match up to those but I will get some pics when I harvest. The Cascades are definitely the best producers while the Willamette has less than half the crop the Cascades has. Still I should have plenty of hops for the next year of brewing.

Craig

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]
Nice pics everyone, my first year hops don't come close in size to most. I do have quite a few on all four of my plants though. I am looking for some advice, the top of my pole is over 20' tall, and I have no way of lowering my support ropes down for harvseting. Not to mention that I am terribly scared of heights. I am afraid the 4x4 center pole won't support a ladder leaning against it. Anybody have a similar setup with some advice for me? When harvseting, do you pick all of the cones at one time, or just the ones that are ready?

LMFAO Hell Brew, why do you think I set it up like that! That's funny that you thought of that. I think that hop smelled even better than it's cuz.

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]
Nice pics everyone, my first year hops don't come close in size to most. I do have quite a few on all four of my plants though. I am looking for some advice, the top of my pole is over 20' tall, and I have no way of lowering my support ropes down for harvseting. Not to mention that I am terribly scared of heights. I am afraid the 4x4 center pole won't support a ladder leaning against it. Anybody have a similar setup with some advice for me? When harvseting, do you pick all of the cones at one time, or just the ones that are ready?

And you yankees think us southerners are the stupid ones! :ban: I just guarantee you one thing if a "good ole boy" had built that thing it might be alot uglier, but it'd work alot better! :)

Now that I'm done laughing at your misery, I'll offer some advice. I know this thought isn't so much fun, but you could just cut it off with a chain saw and chalk it up too a learning experience. How deep is the pole set in the ground? If it's not 4' down with the height you built it, I wouldn't chance putting a ladder on the side and having the structure fall with me attached. I do like your set up with what appears to be 8 strings working from 1 pole. I'd take it down and design a pully system to lift and affix the structure near the top, or take it down and redesign based on the "High Tec Hop Trellis" video at the Basic Brewing website.

Speaking of which, if you haven't watched it, check out the Hi Tech Hop Trellis and the Low Tech Hop Trellis. I built a Low Tech Hop trellis based on my own design without having seen the Basic Brewing podcast.

www.basicbrewing.com

Good Luck & Schlante,
Phillip

You "good ole boys" need to take it easy on us yanks.:rolleyes: If you knew me you would realize that I like to measure once and cut twice.:drunk: Well, thanks for the input, but I am fairly partial to my pole setup. I have been thinking about the harvesting process, I am going to setup a scafold or three, that should get me to the top.

For next year, put some eyebolts at the top of that telephone pole you got going there, so you can raise and lower the bines at your leisure. As for this year, I have no idea except to cut them down.

This is one of my first year Cascades. There are only 100-150 cones but they are BIG!

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

I don't think they are growing anymore, but I don't think they are ready for harvest either.

Back