My first low gravity session stout is really interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWorld

Reaction score
It's low gravity at 1040...right now five days later it's at 1015...Not bad at all. I tested the gravity two days ago and it was 1020 So I decided to turn on the house heater. Another two days later and she went down to 1015...

Initially I intended to get the wort fermenting as cool as possible. But I need to bottle it up for the holidays. I hope that crash cooling it will clarify the wort to some degree. Right now it is opaque like mud. There is a huge amount of trub....I suspect the opaque color is lots of happy yeasty goodness in suspension.

I've never brewed a low gravity beer. I used more high alpha hops and it's quite bitter. But I really screwed up the process by also bittering with mugwort. This stuff was locally grown and harvest from the wild. This stuff is really bitter...a single ounce can turn a sweet wort into a tongue biter. I mean the initial punch is subtle then it goes directly to the back of the mouth.

I also used dried elderberry. The taste is very subtle but the aroma is decadent. I suspect it's going to taste like black coffee with a hint of smoke from the rauch malt...

I can't wait to see how the finished product turns out. I hope the opaque mud will clear up with three days of crash cooling.

Sounds interesting.

I've never heard of mugwort. sounds like something out of a Harry Potter movie.

What is the whole recipe, if you don't mind my asking?

Back