tried out my new aio for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
hi i got a klarstein knockoff for black friday at a steal so i tried it out for the first time yesterday. i love it. i wrapped it in reflectix to try to get temps up quicker and keep them more stable since its only a 110 v machine.
it took a little while figuring out how to use it so i had a very long brew day but my numbers were spot on. so i a m happy and think with planning i can really streamline the process for a shorter brewday.

the dead space on these things is huge so the reccomended 1.5 ish qts per pound of grain onyl filled up my pipe about a third of the way so i added another gallon to the mash so i would have more space for the grain. i prolly could of got away with an extra half gallon instead cause the mash seemed thin but i got 74 percent efficiency so i am very happy with the results. this threw off my water calculations though so i am not sure how much was sparge and how much was mash . i thought it would affect my extraction a lot but everything worked fine in the end. the beer looks and smells amazing .

heres what i did:

i filled the kettle up to 7.5 gallons and heated to 170 and drew off 3 gallons for sparge . i kept the sparge water in a small kettle in the oven at 170 ( which worked perfect - btw) . i then prepped grain while the water cooled to 168 for mash in. i doughed in at 168 and the temp dropped to 158. the mash was thin so it was easy to thoroughly mix everything, (recipe below) . i started the pump and the temp stayed between 155.5 and 157 deg. for the 60 min mash. the mash was very uneventful. i took off the screen at about 30 mins to stir the top third of the mash but i dont think that was needed and wont next time. otherwise mash went very smoothly. the 11 lbs of wet grain in the pipe was def heavier then i expected and after i sparged with 2.5 gallon of water and let it drain there was still a considerable amount of drippings in there and that became a mess later on. in future i will just dump grain as soon as i take basket off or find a big enough bucket to let it sit in. 5 gallon pail was too small. i topped it up to 7.5 preboil vol. cause i was looking to get 6.5 into the fermenter. i took a gravity reading cause i have never done AG aio before and was worried i didnt get sugar out of my grain but my numbers were in the 1050 range before top off so i was happy. during boil i was scared to burn the kettle with the full 1800 watts so i kept messing around with 1000 but had trouble maintaining boil. i settled on 1600 which seemed to keep it rolling. spider went in hop additions. chiller, whirfloc, more hops, flame out whirpool hops. chilled and ran off to the fermenter. no scorching on the bottom of the kettle. pitched yeast and its bubbling away already. 1046 OG = BEER!

some pics below

pretty excited to taste my latest creation.

recipe 6.5 gallons
9 lbs of briess pilsen malt
1 lb of flaked corn
.5 lbs carapils.
.5 lb of dextrose
2 oz of rice hulls
1 oz nz pacifica at 60
1 oz nz pacifica at 10
1 oz huell melon whirpool

Attachments

• 1702578279586.png
    1702578279586.png
    677.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1702578302140.png
    1702578302140.png
    642.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1702578585971.png
    1702578585971.png
    629.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1702579314153.png
    1702579314153.png
    579 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Glad everything went well, sounds like a great start! Once you get all the little process details sorted out I bet you’ll love how smoothly the brew day will go.
Seems like you got a great result right out of the gate, I bet it’s going to be delicious.
Cheers to beers 🍻

klarstein knockoff
makes me wonder what the brand is. I dunno if you wanna say it and maybe part of the refletix was to cover the name (and I wouldn't blame you) but I've been wondering about those cheap Vevor units... I know they may have issues, but I've been waiting for an experienced brewer to give us a reliable review of one. Whatever it is, I'm pleased for you it worked out. :) In my parts, the occasional super cheap AIO shows up and I've been tempted just to try one one out, but cash is super-tight so I'm hoping someone well-known on here like yourself can give an accurate report.
Make sure and post the final results!
:bigmug:

whiskey thanks for the pointers . i got a lot to work out cause its like starting new again. the beer came out the most beautiful golden color for a beer as any i have yet made. ill post a pic.
crow - so i didint want to say first cause i am embarrased cause its chinese and frowned upon for more than a few reasons. and thats all ok. and second cause i didnt want to advertise it . do you blame me ? haha jk you read between the lines very well. (ill send you a pm for the brand name). i did the reflectex cause i was worried about the 110 volts getting it up there and keeping it up there and i read a lot of reviews saying the wrap helps this. and it seems to have. i read the klarstein thread on the sister site before i purchased this one.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/klarstein-mundschenk.101138/ it really looks closer to the klarstein then the ace hopcat brewmonk gutens etc. down to the white cap on the telescoping overflow pipe. it was rediculously cheap. i think it was 230 with shipping and tax and spider and chiller. i am frugal. it was definatley more of a risk then buying a more well known brewzilla or gf but it was half the price even with black friday. i am not recommending it because of the potential difficulties with chinese knockoffs. in terms of customer service returns possibly reliability issues and and QC etc. . but i am happy with it so far. i am definately not an experienced AG brewer i brewed HME kits, extract, minimash and very occasional small batch AG on the stove for 30 plus years. so i am not experienced in that sense but i think i can tell whats decent beer. and definately my drinking friends can tell what beer is. and definitely let me know when its not good. but thanks for the compliment. as far as being well known i fear it may be more for my snarkiness then my knowledge but i def appreciate it. i will keep you posted on my klarmonkhopcatgutenstein. lol.

thanks
cheers

1702781443440.png

my golden lager
the srm for this recipe was just what i was looking for and brewersfriend had it in at 2.31
i think i got it somewhere around 3.

1702781928096.png

Back