My cider stopped fermenting halfway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NilsD

Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering why my cider stopped (severely slowed down?) after 1 and a half weeks of fermenting. I tasted it and it wasnt strong at all, 6 percent max. Lots of sugar left aswell. I stirred it with a small spoon to get the yeast that lied on the bottom back up, put on the airlock and shook it abit but i feel like that wont be enough. Please help

Do you know what gravity (or °Br/°P) you started at? Can you take a current gravity (or °Br/°P) reading? That will give you a objective measurement of whether fermentation has truly stalled.

Time to get one. if you feel there is sugar left you can try adding some yeast nutrient. You may have added too much sugar for the available amount of nutrients.

Straight unfermented cider runs at 1.055 O|G, plus or minus a point or two.
Did you add any sugar or other adjuncts to it to start?
I would first suggest getting a hydrometer to see what the current gravity is at.
Also, cider does often take a while to fully ferment - the yeast may be taking a break now, and may restart again - or it's just going slowly enough that it's not apparant that it's happenning.
Are you using an ale pail / bucket fermenter? And by what measure do you think it's stopped?
IT can take easily a month or more to fully ferment out.
Nutrients are recommended but not always needed in cider. What yeast are you using?

My ciders usually ferment to FG in about 1 week, but I do pamper the yeast. I treat the cider like it was honey must- add nutrients, oxygenate, rehydrate my dry yeast, control the temp. Like I said pamper. By the way, I then let it sit for anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months until I feel like bottling.

Straight unfermented cider runs at 1.055 O|G, plus or minus a point or two.
Did you add any sugar or other adjuncts to it to start?
I would first suggest getting a hydrometer to see what the current gravity is at.
Also, cider does often take a while to fully ferment - the yeast may be taking a break now, and may restart again - or it's just going slowly enough that it's not apparant that it's happenning.
Are you using an ale pail / bucket fermenter? And by what measure do you think it's stopped?
IT can take easily a month or more to fully ferment out.
Nutrients are recommended but not always needed in cider. What yeast are you using?
I added the recomended amount of yeast nutrients, im not sure wich yeast i picked from the top of my head, but i think it was rated at abit over 10% alcohol level.

I added the recomended amount of yeast nutrients, im not sure wich yeast i picked from the top of my head, but i think it was rated at abit over 10% alcohol level.
I use a bucket fermenter, it started at 12 litres with 2dl of brown sugar added.

Back