Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony has eaten some really off the wall stuff in odd places around the world. Some stuff I doubt many on here have seen,let alone tried. I gotta give him props for trying armadillo & such.

I have no clue what he once was but now he is reality tv. That's an immediate 3 strikes. Yeah, the weird international foods thing is fun - I'll give him back one strike for some of that.

I have no clue what he once was but now he is reality tv. That's an immediate 3 strikes. Yeah, the weird international foods thing is fun - I'll give him back one strike for some of that.

I personally wouldn't classify his shows as reality TV. They would be more travel, culture, or even documentary related. You should read his book Kitchen Confidential. It's fantastic and I'm sure would change your very narrow view of him.

He travels the world (or at least he used to) eating, drinking, and being a sarcastic jackass. That's like my dream job. :D

So at risk of going way off topic what are the weirdest things you have eaten or had to drink in out of the way places?

I had a sip of 'skake shake' in Botswana once. Kind of a sorghum beer sold in wax milk jugs. VILE! One sip was enough.

I wonder if it's something about sorghum that makes every fermentable made with it taste like deadly cleaning chemicals, or whether it's simply traditional not to give a @#$# what your drink tastes like if you have resorted to using sorghum to make it.

I had a Chinese sorghum "whisky" once. Oh my god, it was... no.

Giraffe, hart beast, wildabeast and termites in Kenya. Cuey (guinea pig) in Peru. Coon, beaver, squirrel, turtle and just about anything else the I could shot or catch while growing up.

And I did get the "is it safe to drink" question about home brew yesterday? My response "Probably, but what is life without a little risk".

So at risk of going way off topic what are the weirdest things you have eaten or had to drink in out of the way places?

I had a sip of 'skake shake' in Botswana once. Kind of a sorghum beer sold in wax milk jugs. VILE! One sip was enough.

I once drank a bud light. I'm still in therapy trying to forget that traumatic day.

My favorite response is, "damn! You must really be an alcoholic or something". But like most of you I get the same general interest replies to snobby replies.

And then they try one of my recipes and they are at my house humping on my leg like a love struck puppy to get more.

He travels the world (or at least he used to) eating, drinking, and being a sarcastic jackass. That's like my dream job. :D

Exactly. I envy him.

My only problem is that every time I watch his show it makes me ashamed of some of the things I eat. There is so much amazing food to be had, and yet sometimes I'd rather just have something quick, cheap, and convenient...

I love the look on their faces when they finally find out what hops are. It's like I punched their moms cooter right in front of them. Then I'm like, here's a hefeweizen and wait for the complaints that it's too cloudy or it tastes too fruity for a beer. "Let me see if I can find some silver bullet or a natty light for u. I keep them under the sink and use to clean my car battery terminals."

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ive eaten beaver in alot of countries. Had to turn down some of it.

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Yeah, me too. My wife bought me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas.
Oh really? How did it turn out.
I don't know, I haven't made it yet.

I always get asked by Mom, no, pestered about how much beer I make per batch... and recently finished my Keezer build, sent her a picture, and instead of being happy for me that I built something snidely asked, "So because there are three taps that means you have three kegs?" .... yes... that is the point. I'm about to send her a link to this thread, is there a way to tactfully do so? lol

^^

Send one to my mom too. Talked to her yesterday while brewing. She asked why we were brewing so much. I told her we had eight kegs to fill then quickly changed the subject before she could ask anything else.

All the time.... "Do you make Coors Light or Miller Light beers?"

Guy was out working on our well this week, and my wife gave him a session saison while he worked. He said it "ain't bad, tastes like Budweiser".

I'm pretty sure he thought that was a compliment. I'm sure he was thinking, "These homebrew Budweisers sure taste weird as hell, but I'll say something nice." Anyway, I told him there's saaz in it, and that's often used in lagers, so I complimented him on his sensitive palette. Felt pretty charitable.

Guy was out working on our well this week, and my wife gave him a session saison while he worked. He said it "ain't bad, tastes like Budweiser".

I'm pretty sure he thought that was a compliment. I'm sure he was thinking, "These homebrew Budweisers sure taste weird as hell, but I'll say something nice." Anyway, I told him there's saaz in it, and that's often used in lagers, so I complimented him on his sensitive palette. Felt pretty charitable.

I think for a lot of the uninitiated they look at Budweiser as a good beer, so when they say that they think they're really complimenting you.

One of my best friends isn't into beer at all (I keep bud light in the fridge for him) always says my homebrew is "like Sam Adam's" lol

This one from the BMC ppl kinda makes me laugh

(Homebrew club contest winning beer)

Me: "Hey, how you like it?"
BMC friend: "Oh it's really good!"

Minutes later I find the half full bottle hidden out off to the side and there they are with a miller light...

Minutes later I find the half full bottle hidden out off to the side and there they are with a miller light...

Why were they drinking it out of the bottle?

This would aggravate me to no end. When I ask an opinion of somebody I genuinely want an opinion. Well actually this is the case for asking anybody anything. I would rather have somebody tell me that they didn't really enjoy something or that it wasn't to their preference as compared to the pat on the back "good job" when they're not enjoying it. How are we as brewers (or anybody as anything) supposed to improve if the feedback we get is false?

Real life example: Brewed up my first IPA. Didn't look up any recipes for it, looked at the BJCP guidelines, my efficiency, some IBU calculators and off to the races! Ended up at 6.5%, 55-60 IBU, a beautiful darker than amber but not quite red. The first person I shared with (coworker who often gets a 6 pack) sent 5 back the next day. I later got one "I like it" two "awesome"s and one "Absolutely divine." No problems with getting those 5 back, more for the rest of us. Yet if it had of been murdered in the interests of not hurting my feelings, we'd all be shedding tears.

This would aggravate me to no end. When I ask an opinion of somebody I genuinely want an opinion. Well actually this is the case for asking anybody anything. I would rather have somebody tell me that they didn't really enjoy something or that it wasn't to their preference as compared to the pat on the back "good job" when they're not enjoying it. How are we as brewers (or anybody as anything) supposed to improve if the feedback we get is false?

Real life example: Brewed up my first IPA. Didn't look up any recipes for it, looked at the BJCP guidelines, my efficiency, some IBU calculators and off to the races! Ended up at 6.5%, 55-60 IBU, a beautiful darker than amber but not quite red. The first person I shared with (coworker who often gets a 6 pack) sent 5 back the next day. I later got one "I like it" two "awesome"s and one "Absolutely divine." No problems with getting those 5 back, more for the rest of us. Yet if it had of been murdered in the interests of not hurting my feelings, we'd all be shedding tears.

Yeah... That crap pisses me off. If I ask how it is, I want to know what you think. Not what you think I want to hear. Just like the "this tastes just like Budweiser" remark.
For gods sake don't worry about my feelings! Haha :beard:

Actually, when you think about it, your buddy was being polite. He didnt find the homebrew to his taste, so he told a white lie and tried to hide the bottle.

I've almost given up on talking to people about homebrew. I find that I'm not very patient any more, sometimes when they ask how its made I say "magic", when they ask what it tastes like, I say "beer" If they ask for a beer, "I'm fresh out, starting a new batch tomorrow". I know a few folks who really appreciate beer and I know what they like, and those are the ones who get my homebrew when I'm giving it away. If you can't tell me a style that you like, or you only like miller or whatever, then I'm not wasting my brew on you. It's too much work to be guzzled from the bottle and poured down the drain because it wasn't what you where expecting

Latest posts

Back