Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe not the "Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?", but I think I earned "Most annoying homebrewer" when something stupid popped out of my mouth before I could even censor it: I was at a dinner party, where two of us are homebrewers, and we were first sampling some plum wine, and then cracked open my Rye IPA. I rinsed out my wine glass to drink from, as there were no beer glasses present, and the shape of the wine glass is great for the aromas of the Rye. The hostess, seeing me starting to pour, said "No, wait, we've got beer mugs in the freezer, let me get you one", and before I could even stop myself, I replied "Oh, no, I'd never serve a good beer that cold". The look of shock on her face was as bad as if I hit her.

Crap. I was that a$$hole. I still wouldn't drink it that cold, but I think I could find my way to being more tactful...

Wow. Dude.

He he. I've been there.

Maybe not the "Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?", but I think I earned "Most annoying homebrewer" when something stupid popped out of my mouth before I could even censor it: I was at a dinner party, where two of us are homebrewers, and we were first sampling some plum wine, and then cracked open my Rye IPA. I rinsed out my wine glass to drink from, as there were no beer glasses present, and the shape of the wine glass is great for the aromas of the Rye. The hostess, seeing me starting to pour, said "No, wait, we've got beer mugs in the freezer, let me get you one", and before I could even stop myself, I replied "Oh, no, I'd never serve a good beer that cold". The look of shock on her face was as bad as if I hit her.

Crap. I was that a$$hole. I still wouldn't drink it that cold, but I think I could find my way to being more tactful...

Weve all made social fauz paus like this. Send a 6 pack to the last 10 members who posted on this thread and your sins will be forgiven my son ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The hostess, seeing me starting to pour, said "No, wait, we've got beer mugs in the freezer, let me get you one", and before I could even stop myself, I replied "Oh, no, I'd never serve a good beer that cold". The look of shock on her face was as bad as if I hit her.

We now have a Carolina Ale House here in Killeen, Texas. A small, but by far the best in Killeen, tap list. Buddy Dutch and I go there once a week or so and drink G'Knight, Old Chub, and Dirty Bastards until we're content. But we're still trying to convince the bar staff to stop pulling mugs out of the freezer to serve to us. We've taken to handing them our empty mug and saying "another in THIS mug please."

...I replied "Oh, no, I'd never serve a good beer that cold". The look of shock on her face was as bad as if I hit her.

I must be a bit of an a$$hole too then because I can't see anything wrong with you response (maybe could have include a "thanks" in there somewhere?) - unless it was the way you said it... It's always not what you said but the way you say it that gets you in trouble :D

I rinsed out my wine glass to drink from, as there were no beer glasses present, and the shape of the wine glass is great for the aromas of the Rye. The hostess, seeing me starting to pour, said "No, wait, we've got beer mugs in the freezer, let me get you one", and before I could even stop myself, I replied "Oh, no, I'd never serve a good beer that cold". The look of shock on her face was as bad as if I hit her.

I have a speech 'problem' where I have to hear it in my head a few times before I can get it to come out of my mouth. Sometimes it bounces in there for a while before I can spit it out. It is frustrating when someone who isn't familiar with my idiosyncrasy is standing there, waiting for an answer, and thinks that I am ignoring them.

Then I hear stuff like this and am glad because that probably would have been the first version to pop in my head. By the time it got the OK to head to my mouth it would have been more like "Thanks, but I like the way a wine glass holds aromas".

I catch a bunch of crap at work for home brewing. Being Coast Guard they frown upon heavy drinking. Funny thing is now that I have been home brewing for over a year. I find that a drink a whole lot less than I used to. Funny though they don't seem to mind asking for some when they are over to the house.

Really? I like to say I was a professional alcoholic in the Army. Heavy drinking, heavily encouraged. But, hey, I found some great beers that way!

I have a speech 'problem' where I have to hear it in my head a few times before I can get it to come out of my mouth. Sometimes it bounces in there for a while before I can spit it out. It is frustrating when someone who isn't familiar with my idiosyncrasy is standing there, waiting for an answer, and thinks that I am ignoring them.

Then I hear stuff like this and am glad because that probably would have been the first version to pop in my head. By the time it got the OK to head to my mouth it would have been more like "Thanks, but I like the way a wine glass holds aromas".

my MIL has the opposite problem: social mouth diarrhea. words just start shooting out uncontrollably before her brain even thinks them. one of my favorites:
MIL: I wish they would invent some kind of machine to keep things cold.
my wife: uhhh, mom? it's called a fridge.

my MIL has the opposite problem: social mouth diarrhea. words just start shooting out uncontrollably before her brain even thinks them. one of my favorites:
MIL: I wish they would invent some kind of machine to keep things cold.
my wife: uhhh, mom? it's called a fridge.

I understand this. My children have done the same thing and I teased them about 'uncontrollable sudden massive vowel movements'!

At my nephew's wedding last month, I fished a couple of Belgian ale homebrews out of my ice chest for the best man to take home. I started to tell him, "when you're getting ready to drink them, take them out of the refrigerator and..." He interrupted with, "yeah, yeah, I know. Let them set until they're room temperature, before we drink them."

I was so startled by that one that I think I actually stuttered a bit when I finished, "no, nothing like that. Just let them set for a few minutes, so they aren't ice cold anymore."

Some of these comments go along with the lil sign mom used to have over the phone on the wall,"Be sure brain is engaged before puting mouth in gear!"...'nuff said...:mug:

At my nephew's wedding last month, I fished a couple of Belgian ale homebrews out of my ice chest for the best man to take home. I started to tell him, "when you're getting ready to drink them, take them out of the refrigerator and..." He interrupted with, "yeah, yeah, I know. Let them set until they're room temperature, before we drink them."

I was so startled by that one that I think I actually stuttered a bit when I finished, "no, nothing like that. Just let them set for a few minutes, so they aren't ice cold anymore."

I REALLY love cold beer and hot women.

Loooooong thread, but I still think "What do you need 5 gallons of beer for" is a common response. We see 5 gallons as a drop in the bucket, they see it as a massive amount of alcohol.....

Loooooong thread, but I still think "What do you need 5 gallons of beer for" is a common response. We see 5 gallons as a drop in the bucket, they see it as a massive amount of alcohol.....

I do get tired of explaining to people that I brew once a month, and five gallons breaks down to less than two beers a day for a month...

I have a friend who calls my homebrew (and all craft beer) "Yuppie Beer". I find that humorous because I picture most of you guys on this site as being Harley riding guys with beards, who make a living making stuff with your hands and enjoy fabricating brew stands in your garages, etc.

The irony is that I'm sure you Harley riding guys would consider me to be a "Yuppie".

Have we met haha

I have a friend who calls my homebrew (and all craft beer) "Yuppie Beer". I find that humorous because I picture most of you guys on this site as being Harley riding guys with beards, who make a living making stuff with your hands and enjoy fabricating brew stands in your garages, etc.

The irony is that I'm sure you Harley riding guys would consider me to be a "Yuppie".

I Build and maintain power line (lineman) and ride a harley. does that fit your stereotype lol. I do NOT touch my facial hair from october thru the end of April. also if that don't fit I also spend my free time traveling to bbq competitions. lol Just giving you a bad time the yuppie beer stigma makes me laugh too. I don't see anything yuppie about consuming something you have made.

P.S. just to secure my status as non-yuppie I heat my house with wood that I split manually lol :mug:

The what do you need 5 gallons for or 5 gallons is a lot of beer drives me crazy. Especially since now I typically keg three and give away two. I've also explained it using two beers a night as the standard but it still doesn't work... I was also asked last week if being a hber means I am a beer snob, my response was no. If I'm at a bar with nice beers I appreciate it but I am not crazy picky if not. Didnt say this part but for me If I am at someone's house and they have Miller lite it's not like I will refuse or try to convert them, I will drink it for what it is. Personally I enjoy a bmc from time to time, I get a little taste fatigue and don't buy that stuff for myself.

I do get tired of explaining to people that I brew once a month, and five gallons breaks down to less than two beers a day for a month...

I think I've been overdoing it, 4-5 a night - ABV around 4.5%

I have a real lite Scotty in my keg still carbing, only 2.88%. Maybe 4-5 of them would be better on the liver ??.........

I love this thread! Has kept me in giggles for quite a while!

I get a lot of very surprised looks, since I be female-type. Mostly I get, "Wow, that's so cool, how do you do that?"

My Dad is classic though - "I just go to the store and buy beer."

He also tells me he "only drinks two beers a year" but interestingly, since we've been homebrewing, he's gone through considerably more than that of what we take to him! :D He doesn't like our pepper beer though. Of course - did he drink it WITH FOOD like I told him to do? NOOOOOOOOO!

I got told to save all my ipa for a camping trip in late April. It'll be ready next week. And the guy who told me has equipment to brew. So after a quick aww hell no that **** will be gone in a week and a half he retreated with a heavy head. And I called him later to say if he wants to go halves on ingredients we can make beer for camping he said no well just get a couple of racks of high life. Some people want all the reward with no work. Guess who's not getting any ipa next week. Lol

Once in a while I get the "Isn't it easier to just go to the liquor store and buy beer?"

I reply, "Yes, it is easier...." I don't say anything more and just leave them hanging with that thought.

Me: Would you like to try one of these beers I made?

Uncle: Homebrew, huh? It all tastes like apple cider to me. Makes me sick as a dog.

Me: When was the last time you tried one?

Uncle: Probably about 1985. Never again.

Me: Well, homebrewing has come a long way since then. Much better ingredients, better proce...

Uncle: Look, don't try to force one on me, I don't want to get sick.

Me: It's not going to make you... nevermind.

Me: Would you like to try one of these beers I made?

Uncle: Homebrew, huh? It all tastes like apple cider to me. Makes me sick as a dog.

Me: When was the last time you tried one?

Uncle: Probably about 1985. Never again.

Me: Well, homebrewing has come a long way since then. Much better ingredients, better proce...

Uncle: Look, don't try to force one on me, I don't want to get sick.

Me: It's not going to make you... nevermind.

I hate mushrooms, but every now and then I'll try something with mushrooms in it just to make sure I still hate mushrooms.

Your uncle is a fool.

I finally got the "sure, as long as I don't go blind" when I offered a homebrew. I almost went blind from my eyes rolling so far back in my head they got stuck, but at least I'm part of the club now.

I finally got the "sure, as long as I don't go blind" when I offered a homebrew. I almost went blind from my eyes rolling so far back in my head they got stuck, but at least I'm part of the club now.
One of the first questions I got when I started was from a friend of mine named George: "can't that S*** make you go blind if you screw it up?"

But he gets two bottles from each batch anyway, just because he's George. And he texts me each time he opens one, to tell me how good it is....

Every time I have offered to my father I get, " I can't handle that dark crap. " no matter what style.

Another is " can you make one that's like Bud Light or Coors Light?"

They're mis-remembering about the blind thing. That goes back a long time to poorly distilled moonshine. the first & last running's are methyl alcohol,which is poisonous. Beer produces such low amounts so as to be of no concern.

Today boss asked how was my weekend. I told him I brewed 5 gallons of beer and had a pretty relaxing weekend otherwise. He ask how much beer do you have in the house. I told him I have 25 gallons in various stages of fermentation but cant drink any of it for atleast another month. He said I should be fat as hell drinking that much beer. I laughed said its not really that much beer I am just getting ready for summer as the temps are perfect in the house right now.

Today boss asked how was my weekend. I told him I brewed 5 gallons of beer and had a pretty relaxing weekend otherwise. He ask how much beer do you have in the house. I told him I have 25 gallons in various stages of fermentation but cant drink any of it for atleast another month. He said I should be fat as hell drinking that much beer. I laughed said its not really that much beer I am just getting ready for summer as the temps are perfect in the house right now.

Between the beers and all the pictures of large pieces of cooked cow, my boss always says he can't understand why I'm not 400 lbs...

"No, it's something else that will make you go blind. And you need to knock that off, right now!"

8X4IjnT.png

My parents always say my beer is "dark and very strong." When most of what I keg is 5% and only one tap is for my porters/stouts.

But they rarely drink at their age and were around when American lagers ruled unopposed. So I just think ales really mess up their idea of beer.

"No, it's something else that will make you go blind. And you need to knock that off, right now!"

8X4IjnT.png

I see he's a lefty like me. My bil used to say he could always tell an auto worker...they all have arms like Popeye! Hey,we do all those 12oz curls so frequently as well!...:D

I see he's a lefty like me. My bil used to say he could always tell an auto worker...they all have arms like Popeye! Hey,we do all those 12oz curls so frequently as well!...:D

And speaking of lefties, like me, I just read that 2,500 left-handed people are killed every year around the world from using equipment meant for right-handed people. Good thing I brew left-handed.

And on topic, was brewing on the driveway last weekend and a fellow walks by and asks if I'm making meth. Based on his reaction, he thought it was the funniest thing he ever said, then kept walking. So, I lifted up my respirator and took another swig of homebrew. :D

I got something like that once. The ex neighbor's wife stood out front of the house,(summer,windows & door open) & she says on a cell phone "yeah,it looks like a meth lab or something!" to whoever she was talking to. Cops showed up at a later date,see my brewing stuff on the fermenter stand next to the comp hutch & no further problems. Particularly after explaining I don't sell or trade with my bottled brews. Besides that,though...how does a yuppy from the right side of the tracks know what a meth lab looks like? Let alone the nastie chemical smells? DOOOUY!:drunk:

And speaking of lefties, like me, I just read that 2,500 left-handed people are killed every year around the world from using equipment meant for right-handed people. Good thing I brew left-handed.

And on topic, was brewing on the driveway last weekend and a fellow walks by and asks if I'm making meth. Based on his reaction, he thought it was the funniest thing he ever said, then kept walking. So, I lifted up my respirator and took another swig of homebrew. :D

I was brewing once and the FedEx guy asked if I was making moonshine, but I got the impression he had no problem with it if I was doing so.

Back